Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

How-To: Replace Clutch Master Cylinder

Old 06-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How-To: Replace Clutch Master Cylinder

Im doing some routine maintenance and though i would try to make a write up and hopefully show others how this is done.

1. first i opened my bleeder valve and pumped the clutch to dispose of all the fluid into a container.

2. Next Crawl under your dash (i layed my seat back and layed on my back lookin up) and follow the linkage that is on your clutch pedal, u should come across a codder pin as shown circled in red. mine was bent around the rod it runs through but i just straightened it up and removed the pin, then slide out the rod ( also circled), which unattaches the master cylinder push rod thing to the clutch pedal.

3. Now u want to remove your fluid resevoir as it gets in your way, simple enough ill let u figure that out, and look down at the master cylinder attached to the fire wall. Circled in red is the pressure line u have to loosen and remove, and in green is the fluid feed line that runs from the resevoir to the master cylinder. loosen the hose clamps and remove as well.

4. Lastly, crawl back under your dash (sucks i know) and remove the bolts threaded onto the studs of the master cylinder that run through the firewall, in the picture they are circled in blue, the one on the top left is fairly awkward to get to but doable.

5. Now pull out the whole assembly from the engine bay, to install it goes the same as disassembly, make sure your hose clamps are good and tight, and make sure to bleed the clutch line and remove all air bubbles when done.
Attached Images      
Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How to: Replace Master Cylinder (5 speeds only)

Nice write-up!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks mate, i figured while i was at, i might as well try and teachy some people ha
Old 06-26-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump for sticky. gunna bookmark this for when i have to replace my master cylinder in a few weeks
Old 08-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where did you buy your master cylinder?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How-To: Replace Clutch Master Cylinder

when you replace the master cylinder on the clutch theres no need/ and no way to "bench bleed" the master cylinder before installing right?
Old 12-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure what you mean by bench bleeding.. But i just put it in as is. And got a friend over to bleed it at the slave cylinder, its easy enough.. just takes time
Old 12-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice write up and photo was taken clearly. What happen when you replace Clutch Master Cylinger? Sorry I'm kinda new to this..
Old 12-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by starbai
when you replace the master cylinder on the clutch theres no need/ and no way to "bench bleed" the master cylinder before installing right?
yes you need to bleed it
Old 12-12-2009, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ken9
Very nice write up and photo was taken clearly. What happen when you replace Clutch Master Cylinger? Sorry I'm kinda new to this..
if you your clutch wont engage then the master cylinder could be a reason why/ GOOD WRITE UP MAN
Old 12-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt55
if you your clutch wont engage then the master cylinder could be a reason why/ GOOD WRITE UP MAN
Oh i see what you mean. Thank for sharing. That cool...
Old 12-13-2009, 01:15 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by bigsnorlax
Im not sure what you mean by bench bleeding.. But i just put it in as is. And got a friend over to bleed it at the slave cylinder, its easy enough.. just takes time
Bench bleeding means burping the master cylinder unit before installation, it will make the process of bleeding (when installed) easier.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi anyone knows what is wrong with my car. It is a 1993 del sol and yesterday I noticed that the clutch master cylinder was empty and the clutch was to the floor and not working. I put dot 3 brake fluid in the master cylinder and the car worked again. Today I drove it down the street to the store and the car and clutch was working ok. Now the clutch has the pressure point but very little of it and it is hard to change into 1st gear or any gears especially reverse?

It is leaking some fluid from the clutch pedal down the inside of the car. Is it the clutch master cyl. or the slave cylinder. Will replacing the cmc and doing a clutch fluid bleed fix my car. I think the clutch itself is ok.

Please reply any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by richardman
Hi anyone knows what is wrong with my car. It is a 1993 del sol and yesterday I noticed that the clutch master cylinder was empty and the clutch was to the floor and not working. I put dot 3 brake fluid in the master cylinder and the car worked again. Today I drove it down the street to the store and the car and clutch was working ok. Now the clutch has the pressure point but very little of it and it is hard to change into 1st gear or any gears especially reverse?

It is leaking some fluid from the clutch pedal down the inside of the car. Is it the clutch master cyl. or the slave cylinder. Will replacing the cmc and doing a clutch fluid bleed fix my car. I think the clutch itself is ok.

Please reply any help will be greatly appreciated.
Your master is leaking and will need replaced. If you need some time before you can replace it, just check your clutch fluid level before every trip and top off as necessary. Since you have ran it dry, you will need to bleed it (check the write-ups for how) for it to work properly again.

SOHC
Old 02-24-2010, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SOHCMAN
Your master is leaking and will need replaced. If you need some time before you can replace it, just check your clutch fluid level before every trip and top off as necessary. Since you have ran it dry, you will need to bleed it (check the write-ups for how) for it to work properly again.

SOHC
Hi SOHCMAN thanks for your tip. What will end up happend if i do not bleed the cmc and just drive the car topping the cmc reservoir with dot 3 brake fluid?
Thanks
Rich
Old 04-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Trial User

I have a 95 accord lx I was looking at the "how to change clutch master cylinder" My master cylinder does not look like the one shown. When replacing the cylinder and bleeding it I lost all pressure behind my clutch petal and cannot get it back. What could the problem be? When I took out the cylinder again to see if i missed a step I saw that the rod is not moving when I press the clutch petal and also when I put the cylinder hole of my cylinder over the rod in place and try to bleed nothing happens. I know the cylinder itself is functional because it bench bleeds smoothly.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

exelent write up man helped me alot...thanks
Old 07-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should add this to the 5spd swap thread.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by janellelynn01
I have a 95 accord lx I was looking at the "how to change clutch master cylinder" My master cylinder does not look like the one shown. When replacing the cylinder and bleeding it I lost all pressure behind my clutch petal and cannot get it back. What could the problem be? When I took out the cylinder again to see if i missed a step I saw that the rod is not moving when I press the clutch petal and also when I put the cylinder hole of my cylinder over the rod in place and try to bleed nothing happens. I know the cylinder itself is functional because it bench bleeds smoothly.
If you have air in the system the clutch pedal will not come back after pressing it because there is no resistance in the system. I had this problem when I did my bleeding because I sucked air into the cylinder by not refilling before it got to empty. I bled it through again and after seeing the air come out and then doing a few more til I got straight fluid coming out, the pedal was fine again.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it recommended to replace the slave master cylinder as well when you replace the clutch master cylinder?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it is recommended. u will have to bleed replacing either or so should go ahead and do both and bleed once.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I need to replace my cmc so i guess I'll do the smc as well to be on the safe side.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just replaced my slave cylinder too, and i didnt need to get into the pedals...
Old 11-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Trial User

I have a 1997 honda accord and the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor and it still has fluid in the master cylinder. I can't pump the clutch and get it to work so it just stays at the floor. Anyone know what this could be and how I could fix it? thanks
Old 11-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by honda1997user
I have a 1997 honda accord and the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor and it still has fluid in the master cylinder. I can't pump the clutch and get it to work so it just stays at the floor. Anyone know what this could be and how I could fix it? thanks

Check to make sure that the resevoir is not empty. If it is, you could try bleeding the system. If that doesn't work, I'd say it is likely one of the clutch cylinders. As suggested in this thread, it is highly recommended that you replace both at the same time. I did my wife's 98 Prelude a few weeks ago and it only took an hour or two due to the tight spaces. Also, you will need someone to help you bleed the system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How-To: Replace Clutch Master Cylinder