Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Worn rocker arm PICS. Advise needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worn rocker arm PICS. Advise needed!

My jdm h22 has 80,000miles on it. I've had a loud valvetrain every since i got the engine( valve lash was spot on). I recently tore it down to install a set of new style LMAs p# 14820-Pcb-305. Upon dissassembly i found some worn spot on my Intake Mid Rocker arms only, My exhaust rocker arms look fine.

Here is a pic of my #4 Intake rocker arm and the worn spot in the center. All 4 of the intake mid rocker arms have similar worn spot like this picture.
I havent post pics on here in years so give me a few trys.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is a pic an Exhaust rocker arm.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edit: Oops just searched the recent and found the rocker arm assy thread. Just one question, if I opt to purchase a set of new intake rockers will I be ok using my original intake cam? It has very small wear marks compare to the rocker arms.

Last edited by SteveoBA8; 07-03-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Worn rocker arm PICS. Advise needed!

Well while everything is apart I would check the oiling system of the head and make sure nothing is clogged so that lack of proper lubrication isn't causing the wear. There really isn't a spot on for valve clearance, Honda gives a range in which you can do it, tighter will quite down the chatter but increase wear while looser will chatter but slow down wear. You should be just fine reusing the cam shaft, I've heard nothing before about recommending replacement whenever the rockers are replaced but someone may come in and correct me on that.

Lastly, what H22a do you have? I learned from long time Honda techs that while using the new style LMA's would quiet the engine down in an older OBD1 head they could cause the mid rocker to wear faster since it isn't made for that head and must be shimmed to be the correct height and the tension it applies is different.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Worn rocker arm PICS. Advise needed!

Ya my mistake with spot on, I mean they've been within spec since I've had the engine. It's a Jdm H22a 100% stock., I bought a 94 Jdm Prelude front clip. I've always ran Mobil 1 and wicks filter.

I hope the cam won't need replaced either, hopefully I just need to replace these worn rocker arms and have my car back. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Did some more searching on older threads with mid rocker wear, some say leave it alone? Other's say just get new rocker arms. I'm going to inspect the intake cam again today just to be sure it's not as bad as the rockers.

Last edited by SteveoBA8; 07-04-2010 at 10:47 AM.