Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

B18C1 Rebuild, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C1 Rebuild, what to do?

My 1996 Integra has compression readings 210/0/210/220.

I was driving 65 mph on the freeway just cruising along when my check engine light started blinking (misfire code) I got off the freeway and when the engine was idling the car sounded and felt like it was running on three cylinders, which apparently it was.

At this point its looking like a rebuild, where do I buy a rebuild kit from for a decent price? any info on this would be excellent! I'm looking for rings, crankshaft main bearings, head gasket, valve guide seals, etc.

I need some high quality stuff though because I'm not trying to half-*** it.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C1 Rebuild, what to do?

Same exact thing happened to me... Just did a compression test and i was 220, 0, 220, 220. Post what you find out happened.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK make sure that you check the cylinder wall to the cylinder with the bad compression, it could be a cracked cylinder wall. 0 for compression is pretty bad, most of the time you see higher compression numbers with bad rings, or blown head gasket like 90-150ish. Lots of oil in the cylinder could mean rings...Coolent in the cylinder could mean cracked block. Coolent and oil could mean head gasket. GL
Old 06-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hondapartsunlimited has all oem stuff at discounted rates. That's where I buy all of the oem parts I need if you'd rather not go the aftermarket route. To save some money you could also go with Hastings for rings, and ACL for the bearings (if daily driven I wouldn't suggest the race bearings). Definitely be the cheaper route without sacrificing reliability
Old 06-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys, I'm just waiting until my finals are over on Wednesday then I'm going to go tear it down....

What do you guys think the likelyhood of a chipped valve would be?? Also, this particular cylinder has always had some issues. Ever since I bought the car about 30,000 miles ago, it has burned a lot of oil, and the piston (looking through the plug hole) in that cylinder just looks way grimier than the other ones. Also, I've replaced the spark plugs three times and the plugs from that cylinder seem chewed up as if its burning way too hot/lean in that cylinder
Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have always advocated that people do a slight overbore and hone with oversize pistons/rings to ensure a circular cylinder and proper seating, but... Funds are limited...

How reliable would a rebuild be using just a hone w/o a bore and using the same pistons?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depends on how bad of shape the cylender and piston are .. take pics when you pull it apart and show us
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

x2
I had pretty much the same problem turned out to be a spun rod rod bearing.. I just tore it down so i couldn't give you a compression comparison although with 0 compression im not sure about just a beraing but you never know. Cause id imagine if a bearing was completly shot it'd possibly affect compression that much.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** man how many miles were on these engines
Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've owned 5 Hondas and a lot of my friends have driven integras and civics as well, and if there's one thing I can say about mileage is that its really more a rule of thumb than anything...

My car has close to 160k on it, but I've had Hondas before that have had close to 250k on them an ran perfect and never burned a single drop of oil... but those were cars that people previously used for commuters.

My current teg is extremely clean and has clearly been garaged and cared for its entire life.... And that being said, the previous owner obviously took pride in it and did A LOT of spirited driving, as do I, and an engine that has been thrashed on its entire life can have severe damage at very low miles

I'll be sure to post pics when I rip it down, thanks guys for your input

Last edited by 94VTECoupe; 06-03-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added
Old 06-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well call them
http://domesticgaskets.com
there the cheapest on total oem kits you can even get it with pistons
Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

rbruce, I looked at their site, but it said it couldn't find any parts when I searched on their site??? Or should I just call them? If they really are the cheapest and they're good, then I'm definitely interested!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, I have a question:

I've removed pretty much everything from the head/intake manifold, and I'm trying to work my way to the head bolts...

How do I get the camshafts off? Do I need to take off the cam gears first? Or can I just remove the cam holders and pull the cams out without this extra step? I know the back cover won't come off, and it will still be around the two camshafts, but then again, it doesn't look like it really needs to come apart from the cams either... input?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

www.hondapartscheap.com www.acuraautomotiveparts.org http://www.aclperformance.com.au/us/...bearingsus.htm
http://www.xproductionz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1029
Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94VTECoupe
If they really are the cheapest and they're good, then I'm definitely interested!
Nothing good is cheap remember that. You should just invest in high caliber items that will give you a great return on investment. I'll PM you!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So guys, I pulled the head off the car the other day and found that there is indeed a hole in one of my valves. Upon further inspection, four different valves are bent... the one that has hole in it is due to severe burning I'm guessing judging by the holes circular shape. I never hit the rev limiter although I do come close. Should I check to make aure the valve springs are still in spec?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So guys, I pulled the head off the car the other day and found that there is indeed a hole in one of my valves. Upon further inspection, four different valves are bent... the one that has hole in it is due to severe burning I'm guessing judging by the holes circular shape. I never hit the rev limiter although I do come close. Should I check to make aure the valve springs are still in spec?
Im rebuilding my B18C1 right now, and the block just got sleeved. Im working on the head and i would rebuild your entire head. Since you already pulled it you minus well do everything to it.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my money is on a fractured exhaust valve, let us know what you find

builds can get costly. basically you either go with the cheap combo

new honda bearings to color codes listed on your block
new honda rings on your existing pistons
hone
new seals in the entire motor
inspect valve guides, replace worn ones.
check LMA's for wear, replace if needed
replace all 8 exhaust valves and have a valve job done to cut new seats on all 16

assemble and drive

after this it's adding one or two or ten things, how far you go is up to you but the above is a bare minimum
Old 06-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was doing a little more thinking, and I've come up with a pretty reasonable theory. So ever since i bought this car it has burned a good amount of oil, and the cylinder that got a hole in the valve had burned up three or four spark plugs in the 20k miles or so ive put on it. My guess is that the previous owner snapped a belt and bent the valves so they wouldn't seat right which was the cause of the valve and spark plug burning, and the oil burning from the shot valve guides to the bent valves.

Sound reasonable? Bc that's the only thing i can think of...
Old 06-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was doing a little more thinking, and I've come up with a pretty reasonable theory. So ever since i bought this car it has burned a good amount of oil, and the cylinder that got a hole in the valve had burned up three or four spark plugs in the 20k miles or so ive put on it. My guess is that the previous owner snapped a belt and bent the valves so they wouldn't seat right which was the cause of the valve and spark plug burning, and the oil burning from the shot valve guides to the bent valves.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anything is possible but bent valves would have had your engine running like *** at best. if a belt snaps on a b18c the valves usually don't live to start the motor again

. the #1 cause of what you mention is low or dirty oil coupled with high rpm driving. other causes are extended high rpm driving, rotten valve seals due to age. guide wear from the before mentioned oil conditions and high rpm driving. your LMA's also may have wear patterns in them if oil was the cause behind the failure. what actually causes the valve to fracture is oil constantly dripping down on the face of the valve, then burning, then dripping. eventually you get this soot build up and the valve can't cool itself well enough on the seat and relies only on the guide. eventually chunks come out of the face of the valve and you have a zero compression cylinder. notice above in my bare rebuild advice i mention replacing all 8 exhuast valves? you can reuse you intakes as long as all 16 get a decent valve job, it's only the exhaust valves that are a real wear and tear item