Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Why does my transmission shift at high RPM?

Old 05-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my transmission shift at high RPM?

Ive had my 2000 honda accord ex for like 3 months now.. 91k miles on it currently. When i bought it from a guy he said the kid before him modded it to shift that way. Is that true? I went to Honda and had it diagnosed. They said i need a whole new transmission and there is something wrong with the internal clutch. Any help?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why does my transmission shift at high RPM?

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy lied to you knowing it needed a transmission.

This transmission doesn't have a kick-down cable or anything like that. I think you got took.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My buddy recommended getting a trans from the junk yard... LKQ. They are about $90. Should i do that?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look, transmission is computer controlled and it determines the shift points and if honda states you need a new trans, then there really is no need to go further. Honda has an entire procedure to determine if the trans need to be replaced or not. Since a 2000 accord has a stout motor (I4 or V6) replacing the trans with a honda reman one will let you drive the car for many more years after you do the timing belt
Old 05-31-2010, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They said its about 3 grand to replace. Im 16 years old i dont have that kind of money...
Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Trial User

Dont over look it could be his springs and detents. However, in order to know what is going on you really need to take it apart. It might be cheaper to rebuild it (only buying the parts you need) then to buy a new tranny.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Radzak
They said its about 3 grand to replace. Im 16 years old i dont have that kind of money...
Not many people do. Especially to put in a 2000 Accord.

As far as what the previous owner told you, he definitely lied. You should have had it inspected by a mechanic before you bought it as they would have certainly told you that was a load of s#@t. But as that's in the past, nothing you can change, so lesson learned.

Moving on, was that 3 grand quote from the Honda dealer? Frankly, thats way too much (go figure from a dealership) and there are places who do installs on new/remanufactured auto transmissions for several hundred bucks. Your problem is finding a place in your area that does this, and does it PROPERLY. Let us know what area you are in and maybe someone will know of a shop nearby.

You could do what your friend said and get a junkyard transmission, but are you capable of doing the swap? If so you could definitely save yourself some coin. Don't try this though if you don't have much experience.

You can also try and approach the company itself and see what warranty is still out for your powertrain. If you have the V6 you might be able to get something from them (they approach claims on a case to case basis from what I've gathered). As for the 4 cylinder, I don't think they will be much help. The auto in that is pretty bad, but not nearly as horrible as the one mated to the V6.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

3 grand for a factory reman is about right. You should be getting a 3 year 36k mile warranty with it as well.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for that Bwill.. I live in the central florida orlando area. Im going to have a mechanic take a look at my tranny this week sometime. I just dont know what im gonna do yet. Thanks for everything
Old 05-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah i almost forgot.. Do you think i should be driving my car?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phootbag
3 grand for a factory reman is about right. You should be getting a 3 year 36k mile warranty with it as well.
Yeah I don't doubt that's a normal price from Honda. Before replacing these things became more commonplace that's the only price range I heard for it. Good thing you can find places that will do it cheaper now AND will usually have some sort of reasonable warranty.

Oh yeah i almost forgot.. Do you think i should be driving my car?
If you are gonna have to replace it anyway, and it still works, why not?

Probably should limit your distance though and maybe not drive it so much. Don't want it crapping out on you at a bad time while you are on the road. Also you want to limit the increased stress on the motor (if its just short drives you are probably fine, its a Honda motor for cryin' out loud) if it's always shifting in the higher rpms over a longer drive with a lot of gear changing. How high are we talking here btw?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bwill9886
Yeah I don't doubt that's a normal price from Honda. Before replacing these things became more commonplace that's the only price range I heard for it. Good thing you can find places that will do it cheaper now AND will usually have some sort of reasonable warranty.

If you are gonna have to replace it anyway, and it still works, why not?

Probably should limit your distance though and maybe not drive it so much. Don't want it crapping out on you at a bad time while you are on the road. Also you want to limit the increased stress on the motor (if its just short drives you are probably fine, its a Honda motor for cryin' out loud) if it's always shifting in the higher rpms over a longer drive with a lot of gear changing. How high are we talking here btw?

It usually shifts from 1st to 2nd like 4 to 5 rpm then as 2nd to 3rd a little lower rpm but after that it usually shifts fine.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would not go outside of honda for a rebuild I tried a well known shop (kennedy transmission) and they had to rebuild it 4 times within 11k miles (a 1998 accord v6)

newest honda reman has all updates and should last the life of the car.
just search kennedy transmission in the archives
Old 06-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It usually shifts from 1st to 2nd like 4 to 5 rpm then as 2nd to 3rd a little lower rpm but after that it usually shifts fine.
Yeah thats definitely pretty high!

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
i would not go outside of honda for a rebuild I tried a well known shop (kennedy transmission) and they had to rebuild it 4 times within 11k miles (a 1998 accord v6)

newest honda reman has all updates and should last the life of the car.
just search kennedy transmission in the archives
Wow, that ain't right... thanks for sharing that. So that's one shop off the possibility list.

I know there have been others on this site who have had good luck with some shops but you'd have to search the threads to find them. No doubt that Honda's rebuild will do great, but you might as well swap to a manual and learn to drive stick instead of paying that...

Anyone else with shop experiences?
Old 06-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwill9886
but you might as well swap to a manual and learn to drive stick instead of paying that...
This is a much better idea, if you can find a good gearbox, this swap can be done for less then $500 if you do it yourself, maybe around $800 if a shop does it.

I did it for just over $300, cause I had a free gearbox and a few other things.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kd97accord
This is a much better idea, if you can find a good gearbox, this swap can be done for less then $500 if you do it yourself, maybe around $800 if a shop does it.

I did it for just over $300, cause I had a free gearbox and a few other things.
This is my #1 recommended fix for a bad Accord automatic transmission haha!

I absolutely could not stand driving my car without the manual. Of course, not everyone feels the same way so... gotta offer other suggestions I guess.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the thing is with my tranny, that it wasn't broke, i just got tired of the auto holdin me back, it is for sale now if anyone wants it
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Trial User

I have had the same issue with my 2001 Honda Civic. It comes and goes and every time the mechanic looks at it it functions properly. Every time I do have an issue with the transmission I have to manually unlock the shifter. Any ideas as to why the problems are erratic and are they related some how?