Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Booster Vaccum leak problem!! Need some help

Old 05-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Booster Vaccum leak problem!! Need some help

I have a problem with my brakes the pedal goes all the way down to the floor when I push on it and sometimes it will hold a lil bit. I got a new maaster cylinder and used the old brake booster. This is what i did though. I know some of you guys are flipping your brake booster around to hide the vaccum line to the intake manifold, well that is what I did. My brake booster is leaking from where there is a notch in the booster I bought another one and haven't put it on yet but that one has a notch on it as well. has anyone ever had this problem if you are one of those guys that flipped your brake booster around to hide your vaccum line? Should I just flip it back over to see if it stops leaking? Or should I install the new one? very small leak btw. I also tryied gasket sealer metal bond the vaccum goes right threw it.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Brake Booster Vaccum leak problem!! Need some help

Originally Posted by Markb16a
I have a problem with my brakes the pedal goes all the way down to the floor when I push on it
^^^This is not a brake booster problem. You probably just need to properly bleed the hydraulic system, assuming there are no fluid leaks.

The vacuum leak from the brake booster is a separate problem. Just install the new booster you have.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Markb16a
I have a problem with my brakes the pedal goes all the way down to the floor when I push on it and sometimes it will hold a lil bit. I got a new maaster cylinder and used the old brake booster. This is what i did though. I know some of you guys are flipping your brake booster around to hide the vaccum line to the intake manifold, well that is what I did. My brake booster is leaking from where there is a notch in the booster I bought another one and haven't put it on yet but that one has a notch on it as well. has anyone ever had this problem if you are one of those guys that flipped your brake booster around to hide your vaccum line? Should I just flip it back over to see if it stops leaking? Or should I install the new one? very small leak btw. I also tryied gasket sealer metal bond the vaccum goes right threw it.

put it back to the way it was, brakes are to important! if the problem persists, then change the booster.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by philosofy1
put it back to the way it was, brakes are to important! if the problem persists, then change the booster.
I think I might do that. change it back to normal. I did test it for vaccum leaks and basically the brake booster is good but it is hissing from the notch on the brake booster.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i flipped the brake booster back over and when I press on the brake pedal, it would gradually go down still. I mean when I come to a stop or something the pedal will not hold it will go down to the floor when pressed. I still got a leak somewhere could that be the master cylinder or the brake booster?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I guess you don't read posts in your thread:

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
^^^This is not a brake booster problem. You probably just need to properly bleed the hydraulic system, assuming there are no fluid leaks.

The vacuum leak from the brake booster is a separate problem. Just install the new booster you have.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about if I were to bench bleed the master cylinder? because I read on a tech article if the brake pedal is pressed and the pedal goes down that means the master cylinder is bad. Also my vaccum leak in my brake booster is gone as well. No more leak so it has to be a master cylinder issue. I must still have air in my lines after bleeding.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To check if your booster is leaking do this. Turn on your car, and press on the brake pad. Now turn it off, if the pedal starts to rise and get stiffer on you then the booster has a leak. IF the pedal stays the same, your booster is fine.

Now what your describing sounds like you had a bad master cyl and you did not bleed the fluids correctly. Continue to bleed all 4 sides untill the fluid is clean then press the pedal to test.