Notices

Door sensor problem

Old 04-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door sensor problem

So the damn passenger door sensor on my STD is acting up it always beeps now and drained my battery over night. I've searches it but haven't really found a fix yet. The little rubber piece is still on the sensor arm and The plugs are clean. If I pull the door while I'm in the car it will turn off until I let go. Is there a way I can just delete this sensor ? I need some input on this
Old 04-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Door sensor problem

Unplug the wire leading to it. It's just a ground switch. It will be right behind the plastic where the button is.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just go to the junkyard and find one that's still springy. The passenger side sensor works on the driver side if you flip it over, so get one of those since they are almost always in better shape.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tried unplugging it but it just stays on all the time then. It's still pretty springy tho, prolly try that anyways tho
Old 04-11-2010, 01:08 AM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is your door out of adjustment? Maybe glue something on your door or the jam so that it pushes the sensor in when the door is shut?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To the eye it seems fine or atleast alignment wise. I'll try adding a little at a time till it works fine. I'd still rather just find a permanent fix for it tho
Old 04-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A new Door Trigger sould be around 10$ new.

If you wanted to fix the one you have, remove it and look at the mechanism. When the spring forces it open, the two pieces in the mechanism will make a metal contct. When you push the mechanism (close door) you should see those connections seperate. See that corrosion? Clean it and make sure this connection makes good contact.

You should be able to disconnect the sensor and it will not recognize the door being open. If you remove the wire leading to the sensor and it still says the door is open, you may have a short in the wire or it is being pinched somewhere.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take the fuse off
Old 04-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The trigger it self is good they connect when open and seperate when closed, there's no corrosion on it. When the door is shut and I pull on it then the door light will turn off till I let go, So because the light actually turns off when I pull on the door the wire and trigger are crossed off the list. so I'm assuming my alignment is off or my latch mechanism on the door itself is worn out and to loose. But this doesn't explain why the light stays on when the trigger is pulled off the wire.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe the wire is pinched somewhere. Disconnect the door trigger and check the wire for continuity to ground. If it tests as a ground with the trigger disconnected, then you have a short.

FYI - both doors may share the same common door trigger wire, so make sure the driver's door is closed when you test
Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i tried using my multi-meter on the wire itself, i am not electronically inclined so i really dont understand to much about using this multimeter. i turned it to A (20) put the red cable on the wire and the ground on the bare metal and it read out 3.57 then i switched it over to the omega symbol for OHM's and placed both cables on the wire and the readings started low then just keep going up till it reached around 17 then i just pulled it off. If i am messing up using the multimeter someone please try and help me lol. or if it was right what do i need to check or replace now?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont worry, you cant damage a circut with a multimeter. Connect one lead to the trigger wire, and the other lead to a ground. When the door is open, you will hear the beep and the wire should test ground. If the door trigger is disconnected, you should not see continuity between ground and the wire. Also test one door at a time as they can share the same circut.

http://www.firehow.com/200912125665/...a-circuit.html
Old 05-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

today i hooked up the multi meter to the battery and the ground cable to see if i was still having power drain and it was reading 5.18 ! so i went thru the fuses again and even the big ones in the fuse box in the engine bay the only one that the drain went down when i pulled it was the big battery fuse. What does that mean ? again im not very electrically inclined some i need some help on this. Thanks in advance for the advice and help.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that fuse is between the battery and all of the cars wiring so, when removed it basically disconnected the battery from the car.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ya i just read that also on the manual, haha so that did nothing for me but verify that i do have a drain somewhere within my cars wiring. well back to pulling fuses and taking off wires to find this damn drain.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i've pulled all the fuses in the main fuse box and the kick panel fuse box one by one with no luck of the draw going down. what else can i start unplugging to find this draw? it is driving me crazy and not to mention killing my battery. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackdoutrsx
ok i've pulled all the fuses in the main fuse box and the kick panel fuse box one by one with no luck of the draw going down. what else can i start unplugging to find this draw? it is driving me crazy and not to mention killing my battery. Thanks again for the help.

Have you fixed the door open/door trigger problem?

Are you conducting the current draw test with the doors closed?
(pull one fuse, close the door, and read the meter?)
Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well when i started the car the other day the open door/seat belt symbol didnt come on within the car being on for about 20 minutes.

damn you know what i didnt do it with the door closed when i pulled the fuses from the kick panel i will have to try that tonight.

Any other ideas so i can try them all at once tonight? thanks again for the help.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I kept the door closed and pulled all the fuses, radio, every wire that came in the big bunch by the pedals. I disconnected alternator and starter. When I first started the draw test tonight it was at like 7.2 by the end it was at 1.5 it would just slowly go down I'm guessing that's just because my battery was loosing powe and that's all it had left.

Any other options here ? I'm starting to get frusterated and don't know what else to do
Old 05-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you may have to perform the current draw test with a good battery, or else the voltage will just nose dive instead of you getting a reliable reading.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Might just put a switch to shut off the battery sothat I can actually drive my car. I am lost on what to do next
Old 05-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, the short term solution is to disconnect the battery every time you park it. It would allow you to use the car until you can properly diagnose the problem and sort it out.

Try the current draw test again, it will work. Be patient and test each fuse while the doors are closed and everything is powered off etc.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/audio...draw-test.html
Old 05-27-2010, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Installed the switch and test it this morning. Damn door alarm started going off again for the passenger door. I switched the drivers and passenger door switch but the passenger still goes off, if I pull in on the door it turns off. What does this problem sound like? What fuse can I pull to shut that door alarm off ? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, I had a similar problem, it was with the seat belt locking mechanism in the door which is connected to the sensor I think you are talking about. You should be able to just unplug the plastic clips to everything in the door. Then the seat belt warning light above the rear mirror goes off, just pull the gray cover off, and unplug those. Doesn't hurt anything and I've done it to both side of the hatches I've had because like clockwork they all wear out around 150xxx anyway. That's my input! Hope it helps!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad it helped!