Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Wheel bearing sound!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearing sound!

When driving at 40mph+ I hear this large fan type of noise coming from the driver side I think, I can't exactly pin point the location but my guess would be driver side front. It sounds like a wheel bearing, but when mechanics checked it out, there was no play in any of my wheels so they said wheel bearings are fine. I also had all 4 wheel bearings replaced last year front + rear.

What could it be possibly? What other things could it be other then the wheel bearing? I just jacked up the car and checked each of the wheels for play, there was zero play.

When making right turns, the noise goes away and when making left turn the noise gets louder and to me it sounds like front driver wheel.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheel bearing sound!

I would think noise is from front right wheel because when you wieght transfer/load shift the noise goes to opposite wheel. For instance, when you turn right all load is shifted to the left and thats when the noise diminishes. At what speeds can you hear the noise? Does the "volume" of the noise increase proportionally with speed? Easiest way to determine location of the noise is to test drive while on a car lift and use a mechanic's stethoscope.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When pressed wheel bearings fail they don't have any play in the wheel because the axle holds the bearing together (you won't get too far if you tow an Accord with the axle out before the wheel falls off)
The easiest way to check for a bearing is to drive the car on a smooth asphalt road and slowly rock the car side to side a bad bearing will get louder and quieter as you do that.
It probably is the right front wheel bearing. And if you didn't get the bearings from the dealership I wouldn't be surprised you're replacing them already.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ross 2.0
When pressed wheel bearings fail they don't have any play in the wheel because the axle holds the bearing together (you won't get too far if you tow an Accord with the axle out before the wheel falls off)
The easiest way to check for a bearing is to drive the car on a smooth asphalt road and slowly rock the car side to side a bad bearing will get louder and quieter as you do that.
It probably is the right front wheel bearing. And if you didn't get the bearings from the dealership I wouldn't be surprised you're replacing them already.
So aftermarket wheel bearings are worthless for the 98 accords? Any recommendations to find good replacement OEM wheel bearings online? The dealership charges up the *** for them, I know www.tasauto.com but any others?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much should the reasonable rate be for the labor of the front or rear wheel bearing?