Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Can you get a good paint job at MAACO!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you get a good paint job at MAACO!!!

Pretty much what the title says. I know there is a difference between $800 paint jobs and $3000 paint jobs. but can you get a decent paint job at low cost from maaco i've heard different opinions was wondering if anyone knew from experience, if so post pics please!!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Can you get a good paint job at MAACO!!!

no they use shitty materials
Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i go to a Maaco to see customers, let's just say you get what you pay for, for sure.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 AM
TRIAL USER

my 91 milano red prelude got a macco job from the previous owner, and its an absolute nightmare. up close the paint almost looks like an air hockey table, with little pock marks everywhere, and terrible orange peel on almost every panel. they also sprayed some yellow gel primer type **** im guessing to prep for the paint, and now large chips are missing from the entire front end of the car, revealing a hideous yellow primer. i imagine if you were to fully prep and dissasemble the car yourself, and just bring it there to get it sprayed they might not do such a bad job on it, but at that point, you might as well just buy a gun and spray it yourself or find someone who is experienced. trust me, paint is not something you want to half-step, and find yourself re-doing in a couple years.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that and once you have already sprayed the car, RE-prepping it for paint again can be an absolute nightmare. I'd rather drive a primered car around than one with a bad "paint job".
Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i got you
Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a thread on this already if you scroll down some and search, and to answer your question quickly, yes you can get a very good paint job from maaco, they are franchise businesses, and it depends entirely on the shop that you go to and how much they care about quality. Theres nothing wrong with maaco products.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
there is a thread on this already if you scroll down some and search, and to answer your question quickly, yes you can get a very good paint job from maaco, they are franchise businesses, and it depends entirely on the shop that you go to and how much they care about quality. Theres nothing wrong with maaco products.
Pretty much.

If you can talk to the guy who would be painting it, let him know you actually care, throw him a $100 bill or somethin beforehand, it would probably come out fine.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If i wanted a cheap paint job i would take it to a well rep paint shop and have them shoot a single stage paint its alot cheaper.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In all honesty Im a painter at a respectable shop and Maaco doesnt do a half bad job for "what you pay for". It wont look terrible my buddy got 2 cars done there and I was actually impressed for the price... Im not gonna lie though if im doing a car the prep is gonna be far superior and I take off all door handles mouldings mirrors tail lights bumpers..using top notch paint and do it correct. but thats the difference from paying 500 and 5000 lol.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Trial User

I personally have seen paint jobs that are worth the money coming out of Maaco.

Sometimes its about having the car look halfway decent and Maaco is awesome for that I think.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Year 3030

This was painted at Maaco for $400. I did all the the sanding and removed all bumpers, headlights, tail lights, and mirrors.

From this:

To this:

Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^orange peel for sure^ i wonder how long the paint will last do you know what brand of paint they used
Old 04-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not give the painter at Maaco quality paint to use then?, just use them for the booth and the actual spraying...
Old 04-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96 GSR-T
Why not give the painter at Maaco quality paint to use then?, just use them for the booth and the actual spraying...
maaco paint is quality paint
Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Stage 3 CLINGER!

isnt macco paint like all three layers in one?? im not bashing on maaco, just sayin.
i think there paint is primer/paint/clearcoat is all in one spray, not different layers.
also, i know maaco comes out beatuful with a good wax job.
have a friend who got ebp from maaco, waxed it, looks gorgeous.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Spawne32
maaco paint is quality paint
maaco paint is not quality paint if it was there wouldnt be a need for this thread for the millionth time, and if you know so much what brand of paint do u prefer
Old 04-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by singlecamslamed
isnt macco paint like all three layers in one?? im not bashing on maaco, just sayin.
i think there paint is primer/paint/clearcoat is all in one spray, not different layers.
also, i know maaco comes out beatuful with a good wax job.
have a friend who got ebp from maaco, waxed it, looks gorgeous.
*sigh*

1) no primer is not mixed with the paint
2) single stage paint is basically base/clear mixed together, it is not unique to maaco, it is a fairly common paint, in fact alot of auto manufacturers use it as a factory paint, it is budget oriented and very easy to spray
3) maaco offers a base coat clear coat mix as well which is what alot of body shops use when they need to blend panels etc after repairs

like i said, theres a huge thread on this sub forum all about maaco paint jobs, good and bad, which basically explains how it works and the different paint stages. Maaco's quality depends entirely on location, remember, its a FRANCHISE business, which means all independent owners. Much like chick fil a or other franchise chains, quality varys from place to place. This is determined by the prep guys, the painter, etc. Maaco paints are a high production paint similar to what manufacturers use for pumping out cars at an extremely high rate.

Last edited by builthatch; 04-08-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id also like to point out that the better the prep work the better the job comes out and lasts longer, as i said maaco is high production so the amount of prep work they do is minimal at best. Most "quality" body shops will do this prep work prior to sending the car to maaco as quality assurance to the customer, same would apply if you sent your car there, do the prep work prior, its very easy to do the prep, even spray the primer. The hard part comes in spraying the actual color, because it is sensitive to every environmental aspect and thats where the paint booth comes in, and a steady hand and good paint gun.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Year 3030

I didnt say it was perfect. I was just showing everyone an example of a 400$ paint job. I think it looks a lot better than most of the primered buckets running around or having a multi-colored car. Even the 50$ paint job guys end up spending way more than 50$.

No **** I could have got a base/clear and wet sanded it to a mirror finish. Just showing people there are better alternatives to priming your car, leaving it that way, and buying a set of 600$ rotas when they could have got a decent paint job instead.

And you CAN wet sand a single-stage paint job. AS LONG AS ITS NOT A METALLIC OR PEARL. I purposely painted my car jet black with no pearls so I could wet sand it, as I knew it would have peel. Crying about orange peel is irrelevant and only rookies are scared of drips/orange-peel.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Sumslapper
I didnt say it was perfect. I was just showing everyone an example of a 400$ paint job. I think it looks a lot better than most of the primered buckets running around or having a multi-colored car. Even the 50$ paint job guys end up spending way more than 50$.

No **** I could have got a base/clear and wet sanded it to a mirror finish. Just showing people there are better alternatives to priming your car, leaving it that way, and buying a set of 600$ rotas when they could have got a decent paint job instead.

And you CAN wet sand a single-stage paint job. AS LONG AS ITS NOT A METALLIC OR PEARL. I purposely painted my car jet black with no pearls so I could wet sand it, as I knew it would have peel. Crying about orange peel is irrelevant and only rookies are scared of drips/orange-peel.
rookies im no rookie i use quality material only the best which is glasurit
Old 04-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Year 3030

I didnt know this thread was about "Post up your car that was painted with Dupont, Glasurit, HoK, PPG, etc."

He was asking what kind of results came from a Maaco job. Yes there are many MUCH better alternatives but for people on a budget, Maaco is fine.

In my case I Maacoed the car because I was selling it. I figured I could get more money if it had a decent shine to it. Car sold in 2 days.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Sumslapper
I didnt know this thread was about "Post up your car that was painted with Dupont, Glasurit, HoK, PPG, etc."

He was asking what kind of results came from a Maaco job. Yes there are many MUCH better alternatives but for people on a budget, Maaco is fine.

In my case I Maacoed the car because I was selling it. I figured I could get more money if it had a decent shine to it. Car sold in 2 days.
if you go back and re-read my first post i did answer the question i dont think you can get a good job from maaco, they use shitty materials, and the people that work there have no clue what there doing its just like the employees at any bullshit job they dont care about quality or customer satisfaction
Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, 39 posts in 9 hours, most of which is just arguing.

Well, as if my input was worth anything...I actually do agree with Spawne, you CAN get a good paint job from Maaco. Is it going to win you awards at car shows? No, obviously not. It does all depend on the shop and who is running it. ALSO, if you want to get a nice job, you need to do ALL the prep yourself, and do a really really thorough job on it. I would rather get my car painted at Maaco, then spray painted at home...or rolled on some rusto ****.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you guys serious with this?

enough of the ****. talk paint and body. that's it.

no personal attacks, no trolling, no one word smart *** responses.

if a troll is present, just report him and we'll handle it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you get a good paint job at MAACO!!!