Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Top hose getting hot...bottom radiator hose not...why am I overheating?

Old 02-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top hose getting hot...bottom radiator hose not...why am I overheating?

Thermostat has less than 5k....Water pump has about 2k...(installed properly) and my fan is not turning on. Now, I am assuming the fan isnt turning on because it senses temperature from the ECT....right above the thermostat. If the bottom hose is cold...the fan probably thinks the motor is cold right?? What the hell is it? Im 99 percent sure it isnt the headgasket.....so thats out of the question.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Top hose getting hot...bottom radiator hose not...why am I overheating? (BoostedSi)

ok lemme see if i can type before anyone else does

Let the car idle for two whole fan cycles...THEN the bottom hose should get hot.

when does the car overheat? driving, or idle?

Check the fan motor with a 12v+, does it turn on?
Check the fan fuse, is it good?
Check for air bubbles in the coolant/bleed the coolant
Make sure you do not run 100% coolant, always run a mixture (DISTILLED WATER ONLY)

IM me, i will be able to help a lot better

DOHCsideVTEC on AIM
Old 02-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Top hose getting hot...bottom radiator hose not...why am I overheating? (BoostedSi)

if your bottom radiator hose is not hot, then the water is not getting past the thermostat. so, could be faulty already. also, try unplugging the connection for the fan, at the fan switch on the block, and jump the plug. if this turns on the fan, fan's good. when you have it unplugged, check the resistance of the fan switch. look in manual, i don't remember.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Top hose getting hot...bottom radiator hose not...why am I overheating? (tominos)

sounds like a air bubbble run teh car for a lil then open the purge valve and get all teh bubbles out u can try to turn teh heater on too
Old 02-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same happened to me. You got air lock, leave radiator cap off and let the car warm up. When at normal opt temp squezze the lower rad hose to let air bubbles escape. Keep doing that on lower hose and upper hose. I also rev the engine a touch to get the pump working to push out air. When no more bubbles appear fill up the rad with fluid and tighten the cap. Feel the lower hose to see if it starts getting warm. It worked for me good luck
Old 02-06-2003, 07:31 PM
New User

Default Re: Top hose getting hot...bottom radiator hose not...why am I overheating? (sleeprhatch)

thanks dude...(this was me posting under boostedsi's name)

Yeah..i thinkit could be air bubbles too....should I let the motor warm up and run and then try to bleed it from that bleeder on the head??
Old 02-06-2003, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Top hose getting hot...bottom radiator hose not...why am I overheating? (sleeprhatch)

The hot coolant from the engine enters the radiator by the top hose, that's why its hot. The radiator cools the coolant and flows back to the engine by the bottom hose, that's why it is cool. Its working, leave it alone.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Top hose getting hot...bottom radiator hose not...why am I overheating? (IntegD)

Keep in mind when you do this experiment, you have to let the fan turn on once or twice..that means the thermo opened. Sometimes, the car will appear to be warmed up, but the thremo isnt fully open.