Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Removing the Crank Pulley Bolt

Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the Crank Pulley Bolt

Techs,

I am planning to do the Timing belt job on Honda Accord 1994 EX F22b1 I have looked around and I found a way for removing the Crank pulley bolt that put a socket and wrench in the bolt hold that wrench with the body or tie rod and try to crank the car it will budge the bolt very quick.

I was wondering if any one could give any feedback, advice or input regarding about that method or if any one have tried it yet.

waiting for response
Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing the Crank Pulley Bolt

On my 99 Honda it would tighten the bolt...
My standad way: 2x breaker bar, cranshaft tool,1/2" x 20" extension bar, 19mm socket, jackstand and 4' amr (pipe).
Block the pulley with a breaker bar and the cranksaft tool. extension into socket, support the other end by the jackstand, put the 2nd extension bar, mount the 4' arm, turn 100 deg - done.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That would tighten the bolt. Ingersoll Rand Thunder Gun or crank pulley holding tool and 3ft breaker bar instead.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if an air gun or impact gun doesnt work you can get a crank pully locking tool that uses a 1/2 drive rachet. The tool is is 55mm and is open ended allowing you to fit a 19mm socket and extension through it.

I bought this tool recently and it works great!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the way I do it is I remove the Fly wheel cover from the tranny, then I stick a screw driver in between two teeth on the right side hitting the center beam from underneath when loosening the Crank pulley bolt, and on the left when tightening. works great!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 PM

dude bad idea on doin that could bend the tie rod i found the best way to get a crank pully off honda is a plumbers torch and impact gun
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davey5300
the way I do it is I remove the Fly wheel cover from the tranny, then I stick a screw driver in between two teeth on the right side hitting the center beam from underneath when loosening the Crank pulley bolt, and on the left when tightening. works great!
bad advice... seen pictures from people who have damaged the transmission housing doing that. Get the right tools for the job
Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648...9443595&sr=8-1

worth every penny
Old 03-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
I was thinking to get that one its really good and cheap but only problem is its 24.99 amazon gives free shipping on 25.00 short of penny else I have to pay $6 for shipping not ready to pay any suggestions????
Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy something for a penny?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by faran
I was thinking to get that one its really good and cheap but only problem is its 24.99 amazon gives free shipping on 25.00 short of penny else I have to pay $6 for shipping not ready to pay any suggestions????
pay the shipping, its still a good deal and well worth it
Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in case you have been sleeping DONT DO IT---YOU WILL TIGHTEN AND STRIP YOUR CRANK PULLEY BOLT THREADS. now, they have this tool on e-bay for $30.00 under honda crank pulley tool. you can also get it from your local tool vendors such as mac tools, matco, snap-on, etc. you will need a good impact wrench too but no harbor freight ****. i have a mac 1/2 inch impact that delivers 625 foot pounds of power. it hasnt been beaten yet and sometimes gets the bolts out without the pulley holder tool. if you cant get a bad *** impact, you'll need a 19mm 6-point 1/2 inch drive socket, 2 half inch drive 10 inch extensions (since you are not likely to have longer snap-on extensions), and a half inch breaker bar with a pipe on it to extend the length on the breaker bar. you will also need an extra jack stand. set up your breaker bar and extensions on your socket. put the socket on your crank pulley bolt, support the extension near the breaker bar joint (on the extension side), and position the breaker bar toward the front of the car in the 10 o-clock position. put as much pull on your cheater bar set up. you will hear the sweetest sound ever-- a loud CRACK!! relax. nothin is broken. your bolt just broke loose.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sometimes i have had them be so difficult that i use the crank tool and my top of the line most powerful snap on 1/2" impact gun with 1200 ft/lbs of bolt break away torque and they still dont budge. the key if using a 3/4" or 1" impact gun with a massive air compressor to feed the gun. if you dont have access to this equipment then use a regular 1/2" gun with a torch and garden hose(for cooling the pulley and bolt.) heat the inside of the pulley arpund the bolt and the bolt itself. DONT get it red hot, you will fry the front main seal and who knows what else. just heat it enough to break the bolt loose. once its loose hit it with the hose to avoid any heat tranfer to other engine parts. works every time. good luck man!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get a honda manual, it tells u to take a bolt out of the back of the block and stick a hex drive or a screw driver in there to lock the motor from spinning.....Then get a socked to fit the bolt and a breaker bar and it will come off with a little bit of force......Also ive done the flywheel trick with a long pry bar before i knew about that bolt, but thats not the best/easiest way to do it.....
Old 03-25-2010, 07:06 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by more3688
get a honda manual, it tells u to take a bolt out of the back of the block and stick a hex drive or a screw driver in there to lock the motor from spinning.....Then get a socked to fit the bolt and a breaker bar and it will come off with a little bit of force......Also ive done the flywheel trick with a long pry bar before i knew about that bolt, but thats not the best/easiest way to do it.....
umm... you may want to take a look at that Honda manual again. Because in mine it shows to use the pulley holding tool and lists a Honda part number. To me, the bolt you are describing sounds like the maintenance bolt you remove to align/hold the rear balance shaft in place when changing the belts, not something you use when trying to hold the crank in place while loosening the pulley bolt.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That the speacial weapon..
Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TouringAccord
umm... you may want to take a look at that Honda manual again. Because in mine it shows to use the pulley holding tool and lists a Honda part number. To me, the bolt you are describing sounds like the maintenance bolt you remove to align/hold the rear balance shaft in place when changing the belts, not something you use when trying to hold the crank in place while loosening the pulley bolt.
EXACTLY!!!---TEN POINTS TO YOU DUDE.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ken9

That the speacial weapon..
WHERE DID YOU GET THIS TOOL? I HAVE THE EXACT LOOKING TOOL I GOT FROM THE MAC TRUCK BUT I KNOW; 1-ITS NOT A MAC TOOL, AND 2-I PAID TOO MUCH. I NEED TO TELL MY NEW JUNIOR TECH WHERE TO GET SOMETHIN CHEAP. HE STILL RIDES A SKATEBOARD TO WORK. ****IN MARTY McFLY
Old 03-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

---^ I got this tool at mY Local Canadian Tires store. There alots of these selling there. They also sell the ball joint separator too..
Old 03-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

---^ I got this tool at mY Local Canadian Tires store. There alots of these selling there. They also sell the ball joint separator too..
how much? and how do i get a hold of them?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
how much? and how do i get a hold of them?

$32 Cad brand new in the package. You can check at amazon.com. I think they sell it there too..
Old 03-25-2010, 07:40 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
WHERE DID YOU GET THIS TOOL? I HAVE THE EXACT LOOKING TOOL I GOT FROM THE MAC TRUCK BUT I KNOW; 1-ITS NOT A MAC TOOL, AND 2-I PAID TOO MUCH. I NEED TO TELL MY NEW JUNIOR TECH WHERE TO GET SOMETHIN CHEAP. HE STILL RIDES A SKATEBOARD TO WORK. ****IN MARTY McFLY
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-63...ts-60100a.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648...9531464&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4731-Crank...9531464&sr=8-3
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-61805/

those are a few options.

you'll notice in the first link, the tool looks different. I guess they redesigned it to be more compatible with newer models. I bought my tool from that site/company before they switched the design and it's worked great.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$32 Cad brand new in the package. You can check at amazon.com. I think they sell it there too..
is that $32 canadian dollars? and what is their business name so i can look em up online? at amazon
Old 03-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this the same tool? I'm in process of changing timing belt/water pump on a '95 v6 and I don't want to wait on Amazon shipping.

Autozone - OEM / Honda harmonic balancer holding tool - Part Number: 27176
Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DUDE GRAB A VISE GRIP PUT IT TIGHT!!! ON THE LIP OF THE PULLEY SO WHEN IT TURNS IT GETS STUCK AND WONT MOVE THE PULLEY..THEN GRAB A LONG EXTENSION BOUT 3 FEET AND A BREAKER BAR OR 1/2 WRENCH AND A LONG PIPE/TUBE FOR LEVERAGE TURN THAT BAD BOY OUT..I DID IT LIKE THIS LAST WEEK...IMPACT GUN IS FOR SUCKERS!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing the Crank Pulley Bolt