Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

DC5 w/Vibrant Universal Flat Black Muffler 2.5" & Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator

Old 03-27-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC5 w/Vibrant Universal Flat Black Muffler 2.5" & Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator

Wondering if any dc5's out there has this set-up and what are your thoughts and comments? My bro has a 06 civic si and he says some of the civic guys really likes it. I'm thinking about getting this for my dc5. I plan to go 2.5 all around(header to exhaust). I have RH w/test pipe. Any thoughts reviews or suggestions for an exhaust cat back? i was planning to go custom with this. Much appreciated. I like the HKS HI Flow & Greddy Evo2 cat backs, but for the price i would prefer to get this instead.

specs on muffler from club rsx:
- Fly below the radar with a Vibrant STREETPOWER Flat Black Muffler. It's a must for any true "Sleeper" car.

- 100% T304 Stainless Steel Construction with a high temperature Flat Black coating to help avoid unwanted attention

- Feature Vibrant's "True Straight Through" perforated internals for unrestricted flow and maximum horsepower.

- These mufflers are densely packed with our premium multi-layered sound absorption materials, helping produce a low, deep exhaust tone.

Muffler Specs --------------
Inlet Diameter: 2.5"
Tip(s) Style: 3" Round Tip, Angle Cut (Single Wall)
Muffler Size: 5" x 9" Oval Muffler Body, 15" Long
Overall Length: 20" (including tip)
Tip Length: 5"
Old 03-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DC5 w/Vibrant Universal Flat Black Muffler 2.5" & Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator

Do a 3".
Old 03-28-2010, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DC5 w/Vibrant Universal Flat Black Muffler 2.5" & Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator

Originally Posted by Charisma
Do a 3".
excessive if he isn't boosted.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eMpAtHy
agreed!
Old 03-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my vibrant 3" setup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvbAkQeheiI

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQb87nKBR5s
Old 03-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was looking into 2.75" piping w/ spoon N1 set up, but this is pretty interesting as well...
Old 03-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eMpAtHy
Beg to differ. It's been proven time and time again, even on a stock compression, stock cam motor that 3" on K20A2's is the way to go.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^I sorta agree with you on this one, especially at high rpm, but for DD or modestly moded k's maybe not optimal... from my experience, I def. feel restriction at rpm past 6k and that's reason why I'm lookin' into changing up my exhaust. FYI, I have ws2 w/ kidracing krusher RH and custom fit 3" SRA
Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by cloumep3
^^I sorta agree with you on this one, especially at high rpm, but for DD or modestly moded k's maybe not optimal... from my experience, I def. feel restriction at rpm past 6k and that's reason why I'm lookin' into changing up my exhaust. FYI, I have ws2 w/ kidracing krusher RH and custom fit 3" SRA
Ws2 is nice too, but i hear they got some issues.
I just got my kiddracing krusher RH installed too & was planning on getting a HKS hi flow, but for the price. Well my plans are mainly gonna be all bolt-ons + kpro and cams maybe in the future. I dont plan to do too much. I was thinking of going 2.5" from header to exhaust. 3" is nice too but will i get horrible gas mileage or less mpg? If 3" is suffiecient for all bolt-ons, then maybe i will get the 3" instead.

Set-up so far:
RBC w/hondata IMG
Injen CAI
Kidd Racing RH
Old 03-28-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 03K20A3Si
thanks for the video. I like the sound of that, pretty quite w/the resonator. How much did the install cost you if you dont mind me asking? Do you have RH?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zangetsucuts
Ws2 is nice too, but i hear they got some issues.
I just got my kiddracing krusher RH installed too & was planning on getting a HKS hi flow, but for the price. Well my plans are mainly gonna be all bolt-ons + kpro and cams maybe in the future. I dont plan to do too much. I was thinking of going 2.5" from header to exhaust. 3" is nice too but will i get horrible gas mileage or less mpg? If 3" is suffiecient for all bolt-ons, then maybe i will get the 3" instead.

Set-up so far:
RBC w/hondata IMG
Injen CAI
Kidd Racing RH
oh, i forgot to mention, I have z3 swap and Kpro w/ base map(waiting for FI and tuning). and that's why I'm not sure about gas mileage... Right now, I get about 230 to 245 miles to full tank. I do 90% city & rest highway and I do drive pretty spiritedly
As for ws2, yes, muffler def. restrictive and currently considering spoon N1 axle back or similar with custom 2.5/2.75" piping.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 PM

oh, i forgot to mention, I have z3 swap and Kpro w/ base map(waiting for FI and tuning). and that's why I'm not sure about gas mileage... Right now, I get about 230 to 245 miles to full tank. I do 90% city & rest highway and I do drive pretty spiritedly
As for ws2, yes, muffler def. restrictive and currently considering spoon N1 axle back or similar with custom 2.5/2.75" piping.
i'm getting about 300miles full tank on stock parts(sometimes more), with RH on, i get about 275-280miles. might go 2.5" from headers to 2.75"(or even 3") to exhaust.....So hard to decied which route to go. I like Skunk2 Mega Power "R" Exhaust cat back too. which route to go and which will benefit me more.....will see. thanks for all the info.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:18 PM

whats everyone's thoughts on this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jU7nWi0NDXc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jU7nWi0NDXc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 03-29-2010, 02:19 PM

whats everyones thoughts on this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU7nWi0NDXc
Old 03-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats everyones thoughts on this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU7nWi0NDXc
1. I dont think HT supports street racing...

2. Whoever is driving the dc5 C.A.N.N.O.T drive..... he shouldve atleast hung with the civic
Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by kPRO dz
1. I dont think HT supports street racing...

2. Whoever is driving the dc5 C.A.N.N.O.T drive..... he shouldve atleast hung with the civic

my thoughts exactly. Well i'm leaning towards getting the 3" vibrant muffler & resonator. Means i'd have to get 3" piping. I have RH w/test pipe. so from test pipe down will be 3". Wondering if that would be a good idea or stick with 2.5" piping all the way? any comments or experience or suggestions?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How so? I was 3" for 6 months and daily driven, 95% city driving at that. I assume your talking about how generally a 3" exhaust will drop tq in low rpm's in turn for gain of power up top? Well, if that's the case, again research shows quite the contrary. 3" proves to be best all-around on a k-series.

If interested I can dig up some graphs.

my thoughts exactly. Well i'm leaning towards getting the 3" vibrant muffler & resonator. Means i'd have to get 3" piping. I have RH w/test pipe. so from test pipe down will be 3". Wondering if that would be a good idea or stick with 2.5" piping all the way? any comments or experience or suggestions?
Which race header do you have? What do you mean test-pipe? The cats are built in to the header... As you can tell, I strongly suggest doing full 3" piping and a 3" muffler, perhaps a resonator if you want. My solution to drone was a 3" Apexi N1 turbo muffler. At cruising and light acceleration it was not too loud; however at WOT it was pretty insane.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick search over on ClubRSX and you'll find this test thanks to Derek @ IMW.

Originally Posted by D-Rob
The solid line is from today (92 degrees in the dyno garage) and the dotted line is the old 2.5" exhaust (73 degrees in the garage).

Power AND torque all the way across the powerband.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How so? I was 3" for 6 months and daily driven, 95% city driving at that. I assume your talking about how generally a 3" exhaust will drop tq in low rpm's in turn for gain of power up top? Well, if that's the case, again research shows quite the contrary. 3" proves to be best all-around on a k-series.

well, my ep3 with A3 motor came with AEM CAI and 3" pipe with generic N1 style muffler. From driving for a few months with this setup I mostly noticed one down side which was extreme loudness. I ended up getting WS2 setup and that's when I noticed vast difference and increase in low to mid pick-up, and yes definite loss at high rpm. So from this experience, when I'm referring to "not-so-optimal" for DD, I meant the loudness mostly. However, after looking at the graph you posted, I suspect the original exhaust/muffler setup's what was causing inefficient performance in low/mid pick up...

My dillema is that I want better high rpm pick up with less restrictive outflow, but with 3" piping and free flowing muffler, I would have to deal with loudness... which I want to avoid. My option was to get custom piping to 2.75 or 3" keeping WS2 axle back, but the muffler being the main part of its quietness and restrictiveness, I don't see the benefit from doing so.

I would LOVE to get something like Spoon N1 muffler with 2.75 piping and still not be so loud. and Yes I did consider the silencer, but from what I heard from its users/past users, not much difference in reducing noise level.

BTW, the graph does provide good input, now I'm getting more confused about what to do with my setup...
Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 AM

Which race header do you have? What do you mean test-pipe? The cats are built in to the header... As you can tell, I strongly suggest doing full 3" piping and a 3" muffler, perhaps a resonator if you want. My solution to drone was a 3" Apexi N1 turbo muffler. At cruising and light acceleration it was not too loud; however at WOT it was pretty insane.
I got KiddRacing RH that came along with a test pipe.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, my ep3 with A3 motor came with AEM CAI and 3" pipe with generic N1 style muffler. From driving for a few months with this setup I mostly noticed one down side which was extreme loudness. I ended up getting WS2 setup and that's when I noticed vast difference and increase in low to mid pick-up, and yes definite loss at high rpm. So from this experience, when I'm referring to "not-so-optimal" for DD, I meant the loudness mostly. However, after looking at the graph you posted, I suspect the original exhaust/muffler setup's what was causing inefficient performance in low/mid pick up...

My dillema is that I want better high rpm pick up with less restrictive outflow, but with 3" piping and free flowing muffler, I would have to deal with loudness... which I want to avoid. My option was to get custom piping to 2.75 or 3" keeping WS2 axle back, but the muffler being the main part of its quietness and restrictiveness, I don't see the benefit from doing so.

I would LOVE to get something like Spoon N1 muffler with 2.75 piping and still not be so loud. and Yes I did consider the silencer, but from what I heard from its users/past users, not much difference in reducing noise level.

BTW, the graph does provide good input, now I'm getting more confused about what to do with my setup...
Sorry, I overlooked the fact you are an EP3. Sometimes I forget there's more to K's than K24/K20A2's. That being said, 3" on a K20A3 unless turbocharged is to my knowledge, a waste of time and sound. I haven't spent much time with the A3's, however with overall compression and the flow of the head I'd assume a 2.5" ID exhaust is probably the best overall.

Edit: I've since noticed you are K20Z3 swapped from looking at your signature, that being said a 3" will still suit you perfectly. Don't worry about the loudness, there's ways around that!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, I overlooked the fact you are an EP3. Sometimes I forget there's more to K's than K24/K20A2's. That being said, 3" on a K20A3 unless turbocharged is to my knowledge, a waste of time and sound. I haven't spent much time with the A3's, however with overall compression and the flow of the head I'd assume a 2.5" ID exhaust is probably the best overall.

Edit: I've since noticed you are K20Z3 swapped from looking at your signature, that being said a 3" will still suit you perfectly. Don't worry about the loudness, there's ways around that!
how can I get around the loudness w/ 3" piping??? I'd f*ckin' love to do the 3" setup with less restrictive muffler and not be so attention getter by police and theives loud!!! tell me more plz!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Large resonator + muffler = win. Depends on your driving habits. My Apex'i N1 Turbo muffler (3" straight through) was not loud on minor acceleration and certainly not loud at idle, but when WOT it was insane. I had no resonator on that setup.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Large resonator + muffler = win. Depends on your driving habits. My Apex'i N1 Turbo muffler (3" straight through) was not loud on minor acceleration and certainly not loud at idle, but when WOT it was insane. I had no resonator on that setup.
Thanks much!!! I'm gonna look into it
Old 04-02-2010, 05:04 AM

Thank You also. Will be going that route then.