Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Green Immobilizer Key Keeps Blinking....

Old 03-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Green Immobilizer Key Keeps Blinking....

Sup Everyone,

I have been having this problem intermitently for a few months now on my 2000 accord ex v6. The green immobilizer key on the dashboard keeps blinking which is preventing my car from starting. Initially i thought it was the alarm due to the reason that it has a remote start. However when i disabled the alarm the immobilizer light kept blinking. Then i thought it was the battery. I took the battery and had it tested at both RS Strauss and Pep Boys. Both confirmed the battery was no good. For a moment i thought this was the reason the immobilizer light kept blinking. I ran to sears and picked up a gold die hard battery and installed it. Still same problem! I tried three different keys just to make sure it wasnt a bad key but the light still keeps blinking. The car was starting up fine for a while then the problem occured two weeks ago after a bad snow storm in which the car sat for two weeks. After the snow storm i gave the car a boost and it turned on without a problem. Each morning for a week I would turn on the car in the morning just to make sure it started. Then this weekend we had a bad rain storm which lasted for three days and the problem re-occured. The light would not stop blinking. I feel this is the main reason my car does not start, My question now is what causes this light to blink, besides faulty keys or battery which we ruled out?

I thought maybe the main relay as i heard these cars suffer from that but would a bad main relay cause the immobilizer light to blink?

Has anyone ever had their immobilizer light keep blinking?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Green Immobilizer Key Keeps Blinking....

You might have to bite the bullet and bring in to have the dealer look at it. It could be the immobilizer receiver, ECM or something still related to the battery connections. I would check the battery connections first, even check the fuses under the hood and under the dash to rule everything else out first.

Here is a TSB to give you a little more info. regarding the immobilizer system:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x97-058e.pdf
Old 03-15-2010, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thoroughly checked the battery terminal connections yesterday along with the fuses under the hood and on the side of the dashboard. Thanks for the PDF i will download and review it.

Anyone else ever experience this problem?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

redbull-1,

Thanks for the PDF it offered some insightful information. However it didnt have any troubleshooting scenarios.

Is anyone experiencing the same problem?
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So i tried to tap on the main relay because i heard if the relay is bad sometimes this will allow the car to start. However when i turn the ignition the car is completely dead. The battery appears as if its completely drained. This is a brand new Die Hard Battery i purchased less than a week ago. When i turn the ignition switch the dashboard flickers then dies. Im at the end of my wits. Can someone offer some advice?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the alternator/charging system tested. It may not be recharging your battery or you may have a parasitic drain somewhere that is draining your battery.

On a side note, Sears Die Hard batteries are mainly hype. Sears doesn't make their own batteries. Many times people are overpaying for what they perceive from advertisement to be a superior battery. There are like only three main battery manufacturers. Johnson Controls is one of the better manufacturers. Researching who supplies the battery to the store, etc. is the key.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sup guys,

Im still having the same problem. I recently found out that my car has a parasitic draw. I guess my question is, could a parasitic Drain cause the Green Immobilizer Key to Keep Blinking if the car sits for a couple of days?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My honda accord has problem for starting engine. Green key blinking. I need an advice. thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Trial User

continue from my first message, My key some kind of card form, and I was disconnect my battery for near two months for waiting some spare parts. It is the reason the immobilizer doesn't recognize my key card or due to ECU error?????
Old 11-06-2012, 02:21 AM
Trial User

Full story was, my car was driven flooded area and engine stop. Engine has to repair, parts delay. After engine re-installed and engine cannot start due to the green key was shown. Need urgent advice.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Immobilizer indicator is controlled thru immobilizer receiver, PCM, or driver's side multiplex control unit. Either could be bad or you have a lead shorted to ground. Whatever is causing the green light to flash is the reason your battery is draining.

Last edited by jdowen2; 11-06-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added clarification
Old 01-28-2016, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks like you located in US, so even replacing the key reader (immobilizer unit at key ignition) is just USD$50

I posted a YouTube on how to troubleshoot and replace it for Integra, but it is located at identical location for all Honda and Acura

For my car, if the key reader is faulty, you will experience ALL of following:
1. green key flashing
2. key programmer is unable to communicate with the ECU's immobilizer module. Ask auto locksmith to re-program your key. Most locksmith is free if they can't program it, so it will be cost free to try
3. crank-no-start
4. brake-by-pass code is able to start the car

The fault at key reader will cause the ECU (also called PCM) to shutdown the immobilizer module inside the ECU, which looks like a anti-thief prevention.

In the key reader, there is a small circuit, which could be damaged due to flood

Quickest:
1. Get the brake-by-pass code from dealer. If you can start the car, then the faulty is the ignition key reader at key ignition, which Honda called it "Immobilizer Unit"
2. Borrow the key reader from other cars. Temporary disconnect yours and installed the loan unit. If car starts, then confirmed "Immobilizer Unit" fault
Old 05-24-2016, 04:31 PM
Trial User

I have a 2000 Honda Accord. The key symbol on my car keeps lighting up after I try to crank car and itvwill not crank.. Plz help me.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Call the dealer and get the e-brake code for the immobilizer, enter it and see what happens.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If dealer willing to give you the 5 digits immobilizer temp unlock code, then this will be quick and easy to confirm the immobilizer key sensor failed

However, in Canada, most will not give, and the only one willing to give asked me to drive the car to them, and it has to be drivable in addition of ownership paper

Other methods are mention in my post above which is not straight forward
Old 08-28-2016, 11:07 AM
Trial User

Hello,
I had same problem. (Honda Accord 1999) Changed the car battery with no luck (had to change in anyway though). To rule out that there was something in the ignition causing bad connection I sprayed electronic cleaning fluid in the keyhole and voila!

It works ....
Old 08-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For Honda 1999, it does not comes with immobilier chip in the key, so kaxmax's case is not applicable. Furthermore, if you see the green blinking light, then there is nothing to do with bad contact in the immobilizer sender/unit, because the key transponder/sender has no direct contact with the key. Sparying electronic cleaning fluid to the key hole does nothing to the magnetic wave pickup mechanism of the immobilizer sender/unit
Old 08-28-2016, 10:41 PM
Trial User

Well, all cars in Sweden, where I live, are fitted with immobilizer since 1998 due to our regulations here. From 1999 onwards no insurance company would insure your car if you did have one. And Im sure I have one in my car.
My symtoms are exactly those of a problem with the immobilizer (starting but shuts down, blinking green key) and it works with the cleaning fluid. I might have to do with a glitch or something else. I really canīt tell yet.
I point posting it here is that it might be a clue to look for the problem than digging in to the ECU...