Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

antifreeze keeps going away ???

Old 01-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antifreeze keeps going away ???

aight im having a probelm with my anitfreeze .. i can fill it up but it keeps goign away and idk why ... there is no visible leaks or anything and i can take the plug wires out nothign at all in there ... the car doesnt say its overheating stays halfway like it always has .. but it takes awhile for my heat to get warm like atleast 5mins of driving or until the car is fully warmed up .. idk what to check and see if somethign is messed up or what .. so any help on this would be great .. thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: antifreeze keeps going away ???

check the heater core, is the carpet wet?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so u do not antifreeze on the ground. well then most likely it is not an coolet line. so lets move on is your carpet wet on your passenger side? so if that is not true do u see sines of water in your oil? do u see sines of oil in you coolet when u fill it up? have you doun an compression test what did u get?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

smell a sweet smell in exaust?(headgasket) is coolant low all the timem eaning do you have an air pocket you havent bled out ? also leave cap off and run vehicle untill warm note the flow of coolant through the radiator you should notice the level go up and down if not thermastat may be clogged also give it a lil gas with cap off if you get soke or have coolant shoot up out of the rad cap oppening than you most likely have a bad head gasket also check coolant lines off the intake manifold and throttle body
Old 01-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my teg was doing this too and now the radiator has cracked.. i think mine was just an old rusted radiator. but yours could be different, maybe headgasket(check your oil and see if it is milkshake looking).
Old 01-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

havent noticed any oil in my coolant or coolant in my water ... and no my floor isnt wet ... idk what it might be .. because i dont see any leaks ever .. im prob just gonan drop it off at my mechanics and let him check it out
Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do a radiator pressure test to help pinpoint the source of the problem.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

you can borrow it at autozone

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ino...tingAndCooling
Old 02-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump this up ... aight i still havent figured this out yet .. i know it isnt having any leaks though cause i never have any puddles under the car or see any smoke when i cut the car off from it dripping on somethign and burning up ... so what do i need to do to figure this out??
Old 02-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

park it somewhere dry like in the garage or something and let it run with the heat on full blast for 10 minutes or so, if there are any leaks coolant will be on the ground, to get an even better piece of mind take out the thermostat while you do it. happened to me came to find out my overflow hose had a pinhole in it.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah alot of time if i fill the radiator back up and drive my car after a couple days alot of the fluid runs back into the overflow tank for soem reason but then i never have any puddles under my car because i have already done that before ..
Old 02-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm we need to figure this out real quick dude. ok so if its not leaking which doesnt look like it is then that means its burning. i work at schucks so i am quite familiar with a lot of parts. one thing we have which would work great is flourescent leak detectant. buy some and run it through your system and read the directions thoroughly. i was also losing coolant in my prelude and i couldnt find it. i used this stuff... http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg

pretty much thoroughly flush out the system take out the thermostat add that stuff to water and add it to your cooling system. didnt dissapear anymore after i used it its only about 20 bucks and schucks carrys it
Old 02-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also make sure that when you fill up your coolant you overflow tank is also filled to the reccomended level, if not the the coolant that overflows into the tank can cause it to stay in there, also after you add some make sure you BLEED THE COOLING SYSTEM. there should be a bleed screw right next to the thermostat and you just need to loosen it while the car is running until a steady stream of coolant comes out.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:45 PM

had the same problem on my teggy. Made me mad and crazy trying to figure out why i was losing coolant turned out their was a crack in the head does your car cut out a little when you step on it best way to figure out your problem preasure test your cooling system and compresion test your motor.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jacob4lester sounds right. There may be air in the coolant system.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you recently drained your coolant or have done a system flush at all? any details of recent work to the car would help dude
Old 02-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

havent flushed the system because im low on money and recently got laid off. and no my car doesnt ever try to cut off or anything drives fine .. except sometimes when its real cold out i let it warm up for about 5mins then start to drive and when i shift from 1st to 2nd it kinda jumps and then from 2nd to 3rd it does it but after that first time it does that it drives fine the rest the day ... so idk what to do without spending any money. and i dont think my head gasket is bad because there is no fluids on my motor or oil. and when i changed my oil the last time it didnt seem milky or anythign but im about to change it in the next couple days so i will check my oil then again
Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take off your oil cap is there any white on it?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah no white on it. just oil. i didnt know u could check it that way?
Old 02-14-2010, 07:54 PM

hey man i didnt know your car was a automatic your coolant is probably leaking into your transmission cooler cause that is located in your radiator and you tranny is slipping a little cause of the coolant by the way that will burn up your transmission trust me on that. check your trans fluid if its a little milky their is your problem
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

huh my car isnt automatic??? where did u get it was a auto from .. my cars a 5speed
Old 02-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha if it was automatic im sure he wouldnt care as much as he does now! yupp took the oil cap off my prelude saw white and then sighed and drove off in my boosted beast. 2 cars ftw. yeah you can also take off your valve cover and just poke around and make sure that everything is just normal oil no milky crap. but you should use that head gasket stuff i showed you, car willl be out of comission for 12 hours so do it at night!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:59 AM
New User

You have a head gasket problem. when the car is running it pressurizes the radiator and when it cools down it draws the water into the engine. When you run the engine for any length of time it burns the water out. White oil only happens when the engine doesn't get hot long enough or water consumption is high.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oil is fine no milky substance at all .. so i dont think its the head gasket. and i dont see any leaks at all and dont see anything burning of my engine .. so still need help .. lol .. getting frustrated ..
Old 02-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey I had coolant disappearing from my overflow tank for awhile. Then recently I removed the rad cap and found the pieces from under the cap sitting inside the top of the radiator. The cap had completely come apart, so the cap wasn't making a good seal. Bought a new cap and haven't lost a drop since. Might want to try picking up a new radiator cap and see if that helps.