Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Quick help, crv tune up price

Old 02-12-2010, 06:51 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick help, crv tune up price

long story short, my 2000 honda crv has 180,000 miles and has the original spark plugs and wires. The mechanic is telling me $385 for a tune up and wire and plug replacements. is this high? my friend who is a car guy says i can do it all for like $90 on my own. also he said it needs platinum plugs, which im not sure if it needs it or not. thanks for the help.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Quick help, crv tune up price

It does not need platinum plugs, but you would have to change the plugs more often if you use regular plugs, like 30-50k miles. if that price includes all factory honda parts(and the factory $15 each platinum plugs) thats not a bad price, I would assume it includes the valve adjustment as well, which should be done at least every 50,000 miles. Why did you neglect maintenance so long? if you didnt change the plugs or wires you probably didnt change the timing belt at 105,000. that must be done.(if it does break bye bye motor) im surprised it has not broke yet. Everything should be changed ,transmission fluid- honda atf-z1 (or mtf if manual transmission) rear diff fluid-honda dual pump II fluid, honda radiator fluid, water pump, timing belt, tensioner, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, brake fluid, adjust valve lash, all accessory belts, air filter, cabin filter, check all ball joints axles and bushings. Oh and the engine oil and filter.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i payed 135.00 shipped to my house (EBAY)
distributor cap
ignition rotor
four spark plugs
ignition wire set
air filter
cabin filter
fuel filter
oil filter
pcv valve
pcv valve grommet

took no more then 1 hour to put everything on.. so save yourself some money!!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were those oem honda parts or Chinese junk. I doubt it was Honda parts for that price. That still doesn't help him adjust the valves which should be done during every tune up.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda Factory Required tune-up's is the right way and only real way to make sure your car is going to last. They know when and what needs replaced. Im about to hit 150,000 in my 99 crv which is Plugs-wires-tranny flush-trans filter-air filter-coolant flush. and a bunch more. im a Technician at a dealership tho so i have a lift and a place to do all the work myself. If they are doing the whole tune-up that you need for that price i'd totally go for it and get it done. If they are just doing plugs and wires id go to autozone and DIY. but make sure everything else gets done so your car will last.