Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Hatchback Weight Reduction Thread!post your weight reductions

Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Hatchback Weight Reduction Thread!post your weight reductions

Please state what major weight reduction did you do on your civic hatchback and if you know exact weight and total on the bottom of the total reduction..

Lot of people on here dont really know what weights a lot and what is not .Also this should help us all to know what route to take if you want to make it lighter..

LIst a part you took off and weight it was ...

example spear tire, doors , seats etc...

Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Hatchback Weight Reduction Thread!post your weight reductions

Pretty much everything in my car is gone except for the seats and the dashboard. I weighed it at work tonight and the scale said 2,050 lbs. Not bad I must say.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not worth it .just make more power
Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok lets see,

spare & jack 28lbs
front seat 25 lbs
rear seat 15 lbs
a/c condensor & pump 30lbs
ps pump 10 lbs
carpet & rugs 15lbs
rear paneling 10 lbs
headliner 10 lbs
sound deadening 10lbs
deck & speakers 10 lbs
front & rear bumper support 30lbs
cf hood 20 lbs
cf trunk 10lbs
spoon style cf mirrors 5lbs

so lets see thats a total of 228 lbs and is the amount of weight thats possible to save only on the fully loaded si/ex versions,the rest of the model lines dont even have half of these features anyway.

228 lbs would be roughly about %10 of your original total weight therefore you have increased your weight to power ratio by %10 which you could have had by simply increasing power by %10=thats about 1-1.5 psi for a boosted car btw.

but what does the ht guys do they rather pick and choose to ride without available passenger seats,a deck to listen music to,a/c to cool your sweaty ***,ps pump to save you from struggleing,a spare tire to save you from being embarrased on the highway,headlining,paneling,sound deadening to save you from going crazy I mean how gay is this really?

weight reduction was from the 90's and the begining of the 00's please just leave at that!
Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Meister vtec

but what does the ht guys do they rather pick and choose to ride without available passenger seats,a deck to listen music to,a/c to cool your sweaty ***,ps pump to save you from struggleing,a spare tire to save you from being embarrased on the highway,headlining,paneling,sound deadening to save you from going crazy I mean how gay is this really?

weight reduction was from the 90's and the begining of the 00's please just leave at that!
How gay is it to do things solely because you think it'll make you look cool in the eyes of others?

My car:

Varis carbon hood
Backyard Special tailgate
Chromoly rollcage
Acrylic rear window
Gutted the interior - removed 98 pounds
Spoon N1 catback
Spoon duckbill wing
Regamaster Desmond Evo wheels, weigh 4 kg each
Replaced the heavy *** power mirrors with some plastic Spoon knock off's
I have a race base manual steering rack so I'll be removing P/S soon
FRP Recaro Racer SPG

Old 02-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok i found all the years for 1992 - 1995 civic hatcback WEIGHTS

i have 1993 civic Dx and it weights stock 2178lbs

Civic Si weights 2326 years 92,93 year 94 and 95 weight 2390lb
civic dx weights 2178 years 92-95
civic VX weights 2094lb yrs 92-95
civic Cx weights 2094 yrs 92,93 yrs 94 and 95 weight 2108lb

i hope this helps to some hatchback owners

Here is the link to it

http://www.civichatch.com/info/index.php

it has much more info of the civic hatchbacks..
Old 02-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Meister vtec
ok lets see,

spare & jack 28lbs
front seat 25 lbs
rear seat 15 lbs
a/c condensor & pump 30lbs
ps pump 10 lbs
carpet & rugs 15lbs
rear paneling 10 lbs
headliner 10 lbs
sound deadening 10lbs
deck & speakers 10 lbs
front & rear bumper support 30lbs
cf hood 20 lbs
cf trunk 10lbs
spoon style cf mirrors 5lbs

so lets see thats a total of 228 lbs and is the amount of weight thats possible to save only on the fully loaded si/ex versions,the rest of the model lines dont even have half of these features anyway.

228 lbs would be roughly about %10 of your original total weight therefore you have increased your weight to power ratio by %10 which you could have had by simply increasing power by %10=thats about 1-1.5 psi for a boosted car btw.

Its a big difference running 2178lb car on 1/4 and 1850lb car with weight reduction you looking at big difference in times!! Also yeah taking everything out will drive you crazy noise and a/c but we talking street racing or drag not everyday driver..

i have seen integras making 266whp in integra chassy running 11.7 all motor at 2400lbs imagine 1800lb civic !!! big difference swaping it in lighter chassy..

everything has its advantages keeping it stock or making it straight race car..
Old 02-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Plus if you take all the sound deadening it should weight close to 40lbs !!
Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

seems like a waist of time unless its a track car or your just removing the back seats cuz you like the look lol but to each his own
Old 02-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Allmotor-R
Plus if you take all the sound deadening it should weight close to 40lbs !!
The insulation under the dash weighs more than all the sound dampening stuff combined.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the link to it

Thanks for the link. The only thing is that most civics here are swapped. In my case I have a CX with a B16. So it should be a little heavier.

Originally Posted by blkcivic310
seems like a waist of time unless its a track car or your just removing the back seats cuz you like the look lol but to each his own
^^^true. I know weight makes a big difference,but for my daily I still need ac and my interior. lol
Old 02-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a "gutted" hatch that I traded for a fully loaded EX with AC.

Best choice I ever made.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a big difference running 2178lb car on 1/4 and 1850lb car with weight reduction you looking at big difference in times!! Also yeah taking everything out will drive you crazy noise and a/c but we talking street racing or drag not everyday driver..

i have seen integras making 266whp in integra chassy running 11.7 all motor at 2400lbs imagine 1800lb civic !!! big difference swaping it in lighter chassy..

everything has its advantages keeping it stock or making it straight race car..
Your original post never stated you were referring to strickly street racing (which you should never do) or drag racing. If you wanted to avoid any type of response regarding daily driving and/or how much it's not worth to reduce the weight in your DD then you should of specified that in your OP. I'm not trying to be a dick, but rather a heads up.

BTW there are a few drivers out there that could shed a few pounds themselves...would be a lot cheaper and healthier than removing the few luxuries our cars have. Come summer time I love driving with my windows up with the a/c on and I see a couple of "racer" kids who stripped their car suffering in the heat while being stuck in traffic.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

every person is different. I love driving my street car that is more like a track car. Would 9 out of 10 people like this? No not at all.

Unfortunately i have a 2000 Ex Coupe so I have a lot that i could take out. When i shipped my car a couple of months ago it was 2,50# lbs. that was with a spare catalytic converter, spare tire, jack, some assorted tools in the trunk.

I have removed everything in the interior except for the dash, and arm rest and door panels. I still have a radio and the original speakers.

the sunroof is worth about 50lbs or more on it's own. The glass is about 15 lbs and the metal under-tray that it rolls on covers the entire roof. it was replaced by about 3 lbs of carbon fiber and aluminum.

I am running no accessories such as a/c; p/s. I do still have the power windows and locks. I run BuddyClub racing buckets that are 11lbs a piece. No airbags. Original hood and trunk and power mirrors.

i am 74 inches tall and 190 lbs so dieting is not my ideal weight reduction. ^^^
Old 02-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Damaged Goods
Your original post never stated you were referring to strickly street racing (which you should never do) or drag racing. If you wanted to avoid any type of response regarding daily driving and/or how much it's not worth to reduce the weight in your DD then you should of specified that in your OP. I'm not trying to be a dick, but rather a heads up.

BTW there are a few drivers out there that could shed a few pounds themselves...would be a lot cheaper and healthier than removing the few luxuries our cars have. Come summer time I love driving with my windows up with the a/c on and I see a couple of "racer" kids who stripped their car suffering in the heat while being stuck in traffic.
my main goal is for people to find out what weights hoow much and what all can be done/changed to the car to make it lighter . I seen an old post and many people can educate others if they did some weight reduction.. This can go either way people want to make a drag car or just make it lighter ..I mean who in their mind wouldnt lighter the car for racing purposes!!as Daily driver i wouldnt touch anything
Old 02-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the link to it

guys if you dont know what model civic you have you can go to this site and type your vin number it will tell you what year model and etc... stuff ITS FREE

http://www.carfax.com/
Old 02-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a guy locally here in town that has cut off the roof off the civic hatch and made it convertible and striped most of the inside just dash and two seats... Also replaced front window with plexy one .the car is so light and so fast!! it looks awsome .Ill try to snap some pics and put them on here when i see him..

Also i seen online i been looking since i own a hatch i wanted to make it street legal but light as hell..
My plan which i am leading is to do the following it will cost but i am keeping the car so really investment will spend well.
i found carbon fiber doors which are little bit expensive but much lighter then stock doors.. also they make glass roof !! but i will still install roll cage for safety issues. another thing i will replace all glass windows with plexy glass or whatever they call it! there is a guy that got civic down to 1800lb or lighter without cutting anything taking parts off the civic but then again it cant be a daily driver cuz the noise will be ridicilous but as weekend toy to burn some cars why not!!

Last edited by Allmotor-R; 02-12-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fatpride111
I had a "gutted" hatch that I traded for a fully loaded EX with AC.

Best choice I ever made.
Amen to that. While my buddy with a 300ZX was removing insulation and unneeded parts, I was putting housing insulation in behind all my plastic and door panels to cut down on the road noise. It maybe added 2lbs to the weight of the vehicle and dampened the noise by like half!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is one of the best hatches i ever seen done weight reduction and looks cant beat that!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could save weight, sadly everything I do adds more weight. Aftermarket head unit and speakers, more weight. Strut bars, more weight. Engine swap, more weight. HASPORT mounts, more weight. Wider wheels and tires, more weight. Front lip, more weight. HID's, more weight. lol the list goes on but yeah I just add on a lot of weight to my car and I'm not taking out luxuries to save a little. Sure it would be more fun being faster but having all the full interior and what not and being decent isnt all that bad. Think of the weight you add with a turbo. You usually compensate with more power though.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

Haha...

Anybody remember that Sentra? Man I miss SCC, all the current magazines are a joke.

As for those of you that don't agree with weight reduction or say its a 90's fad, whatever. If you have to drive your car every day and can't live without creature comforts, fine don't take them out. As for me, my coupe is on a serious diet right now. No one single modification will benefit every aspect of a car's performance with the exception of removing weight.

Try taking apart your glove box door and column covers and removing the steel reinforcement plates. You can cut the weights of these components by 2/3. Take apart the dash and pull out all the ducting and cutting loose all the extra stiffeners and brackets. I've got my dash down to about 7-8 lbs without the cluster.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Along with cf hood, light lug nuts, insight battery, plus other weight reductions. I took 20 more pounds off my doors by removing extra sheet metal under the door panels. The windows still roll up and down and the door panels are in place. I also removed the "Ralph Nader" pipes in the doors. I did the same with the rear hatch. Big difference when comparing to a stock hatch. I havent weighed the car.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would have no problem doing this for a track car that had a cage in it, but i couldn't do that to my street car.

how did you cut out the door skin and retain the windows to roll up and down? got pics?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HCivExoo
every person is different. I love driving my street car that is more like a track car. Would 9 out of 10 people like this? No not at all.
i am 74 inches tall and 190 lbs so dieting is not my ideal weight reduction. ^^^
The caged car I posted is my only car....

I feel you, I'm 70" and 200 pounds. I eat healthier and exercise more and I gain weight, doh... It's a lot easier for me to pull weight out the car than to try and lose weight.

This is one of the best hatches i ever seen done weight reduction and looks cant beat that!!
You being serious? The dude cut out some serious supports and added in no major reinforcement...
Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope you guys arent taking door bars and impact beams out of street cars.

Depends what youre doing with the car. If its only a DD, then having it totally gutted is kind of dumb. If its tracked, then it makes sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Civic Hatchback Weight Reduction Thread!post your weight reductions