Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch Knocking/Grinding

Old 01-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Knocking/Grinding

I replaced my clutch with a XTD Stage 2 and reused my old Competition Clutch Pressure plate. Now the clutch is rubbing/grinding on something, what can cause this?
And how many ft/lb does the Pressure plate need to be TQ'd to?
And what can cause no speed sensor to work. Because so far no speed sensor works in this new transmission.

EDIT: Rebuilt the car again with the pressure plate that came with the clutch. Now its knocking even harder and there is no way to make it go away. Before when i turned on the car it would make a knocking sound from the clutch but when you pushed the clutch a few times it went away (this is the XTD Clutch & Competition Pressure Plate). Now its 10x louder and you have to hold the clutch to make it not knock (XTD Clutch & Plate). And its smelling like the clutch is burning. WTF Causes this and how can it be fixed? Because I need the car fixed ASAP.

EDIT: Is it possible that if I over TQ the pressure plate that the clutch will do this?

Last edited by Jimster480; 01-25-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help

BUMP
Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you put the clutch in the right way(backwards)?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by schia89
did you put the clutch in the right way(backwards)?
im pretty sure its not possible to do that.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP dddddddddddddddddddddddddd need help :/
Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the pressure plate worn?? You sure your gauge cluster isn't messed up causing the speedometer to not work?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Clutch Knocking/Grinding

dude, i was thinking maybe its the position of the clutch.. as in its not flat on the flywheel, maybe its in a slight angle like the left of the clutch is closer to the flywheel and the right side sticks out more, it would make sense for the clutch to get scratched in one place (the first time it was grinding). and maybe now its in a bigger angle? or it just reacts differently because you switched the pressure plate? that **** sucks man!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pull the tranny and see whats up, thats the only way to see exactly whats happening and how to fix it
Old 01-24-2010, 09:36 PM

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...RQUE+CONVERTER
Old 01-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It isn't aligned right...
Old 01-25-2010, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hondatherdm
Pull the tranny and see whats up, thats the only way to see exactly whats happening and how to fix it
i pulled it 2 times already, you cant see anything.

Will this happen if its not perfectly in the center? If so how do you get it perfect in the center?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

clutch alignment tool will get it to line up while you torque the pressure plate down.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Anon51
clutch alignment tool will get it to line up while you torque the pressure plate down.
ya i have one of those. It doesnt hold the clutch in the center. it tends to sag down towards the bottom unless i hold it.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can take and start tightening the pressure plate bolts down and then slide the clutch up, down, or side to side. I know that's how I do mine... when you have the pressure plate bolts tightened just enough to where you can slide it with your hands it won't move around when you let go.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by iamthefollower
you can take and start tightening the pressure plate bolts down and then slide the clutch up, down, or side to side. I know that's how I do mine... when you have the pressure plate bolts tightened just enough to where you can slide it with your hands it won't move around when you let go.
well thats what i did, but it still seems to be off by enough that its knocking again...

Any way to get it perfectly in the center?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all, I can think of is using the alignment tool and center it as much as you can.. that really sucks man.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya i messed with it for a half hour to get it as close to the center as possible and it made it even worse :/
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally never reuse pressure plates to avoid any possible incomatability issues. did the new clutch include a throw out bearing?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
I personally never reuse pressure plates to avoid any possible incomatability issues. did the new clutch include a throw out bearing?
well i have used both of the pressure plates i have now, including the old pressure plate that i had before on my clutch and the new pressure plate that came with this clutch. And yes it came with a throwout bearing but since the clutch is a mildly used XTD clutch I didnt use that throwout bearing since my throwout bearing is a 2 months old NACHI throwout bearing which is probably way better than the chinese one that comes with the XTD clutch.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the disc should get centered when you install the tranny............if its a little off then the first time you press the clutch it should center itself. is there any signs of rubbing in the bellhousing like the pressure plate rubbing against it or something? my first though is that maybe the disc is not the right one. does it spline right with the input shaft? does the clutch fully engage and disengage?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newtron63h
the disc should get centered when you install the tranny............if its a little off then the first time you press the clutch it should center itself. is there any signs of rubbing in the bellhousing like the pressure plate rubbing against it or something? my first though is that maybe the disc is not the right one. does it spline right with the input shaft? does the clutch fully engage and disengage?
it seems to fully disengage. But idk if it fully engages, because i cant drive the car, its banging so loud :/
I couldnt find where it was rubbing, but it was def the clutch disk itself, as it scored the disk in 1 point. There was just no obvious place that it had hit. How much TQ is supposed to be on the pressure plate? Is it possible that I over TQ'd it and it cant move at all?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i doubt you over torqued them, once the pressure plate is hard up against the flywheel that should be it. but the torque is 18ft/lbs on a 95 ex. (idk what you have exactly but i know you like D series so thats what i looked up). its sounding like you have some parts that arent right.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a clutch one time and it was just a bad clutch the clutch just fell apart literally inside my bell housing peices of clutch everywhere under normal driving to . we never figured out why we guessed that possibly some oil got on it some how but still
Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newtron63h
i doubt you over torqued them, once the pressure plate is hard up against the flywheel that should be it. but the torque is 18ft/lbs on a 95 ex. (idk what you have exactly but i know you like D series so thats what i looked up). its sounding like you have some parts that arent right.
o **** 18. ROFL im pretty sure i have 30+ ft/lb on mine :/ Maybe its TQ'd so much that the clutch cant get in the center because its being held in there so tightly?

The clutch i Bought was used, from a guy who blew his motor, he was seling a bunch of D series parts. He said he never had any issues with it, but idk.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a lighten flywheel? I know sometimes they tend to bang around a bit because of the weight difference unless your engaging/disengaging.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Knocking/Grinding