See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Fuse 15 popping Alternator Not charging battery drained this might help

Old 11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse 15 popping Alternator Not charging battery drained this might help

ok. so i have been on a thousand sites and all i just want everyone to know who has a problem with their fuse popping for alt / spd sensor "fuse 15" that is 7.5A
here is a little wire diagram for that fuse

if your speedometer just stopped working

if your car died on you and bogged out and you thought you had a bad alternator or vss or battery

check your wires on your o2 sensors this has alot to do with it.

if ur wires are touching you will pop a fuse mine would do it over and over out of no where

i read a 1000 forums on this

just because your battery doesnt show the alternator is working check fuse 15 its probably popped and dont spend all your money on the obvious it sounds dumb but you will waste your money buying that stuff if you have a short.you have TWO o2 sensors one on the headers one on the cat the one on my cat was f*cked up check both of them.check your wires behind the manifold check your wires on the back of your tach or under ur dash

dont listen to all these people telling you,your battery is bad or ur alternator or your vehicle speed sensor when you know it isnt if your fuse is popping YOU DO HAVE a short 99% and when u find it and fix it all the problems like your speedometer not working and ur alternator not charging ur battery blah blah

i hope i helped someone because i hate hearing rude answers like its your battery when u know for damn sure its not dont jump your fuse with something that shouldnt go there check everything twice.find a way to track down the short.theres easy methods you can find online.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Fuse 15 popping Alternator Not charging battery drained this might help

hey i have a 95 hatch that i just put in a 96 gsr motor, was runing good for a week then had problems ever since.. i have a code 20... and the car dies and bogges out.. do you think this is the same problem?
Old 01-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuse 15 popping Alternator Not charging battery drained this might help

this guy has a similar issue and i've been helping him: https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/throwin-codes-vss-help-2714240/
Old 04-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I KNOW THIS IS A LONG TIME AGO, BUT THIS THREAD SAVED ME.

JUST WANTED TO BUMP IT FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND HASN'T SEEN THIS THREAD
Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this thread is wonderful!
thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look at this bad boy
2nd O2 sensor, melted onto the cat, the black/yellow 12v wire was the only wire touching the exhaust, and popping fuse 15
my ecu is OBD1....otherwise i would have known sooner

Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-6/main-fuse-problem-2906136/

Please help me
Old 03-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree is has a lot of good information on it I would keep it at the top also. I have a buddy ths run into the same issues just as I found this and he is the happyest man in the world that he get to drive his car again. U guys are a big help on here.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where is the fuse all my writings in another language?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Trial User

alright guys completely new to this site
but if you guys cant help me i will have to burn my civic to the ground

okay speedometer stop working car stop charging

new alternator still not charging no battery light on dash.. checked all fuses and replaced ecu...car worked great for about a 40 minute drive then speedometer and alternator stop working

done some research found this forum and proceeded to fix wires behind intake bracket they were fixed before i owned the car and was fixed with duct tape ... so ripped all that off and use electrical tape of course

now still no charging and still no speedometer any ideas
the only one i have at the moment is that the ecu is fried just dont have another one laying around to try and dont really wanna fry another one
Old 10-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Trial User

Dude thank you, you saved me a ton of money! 👍👍🔰
Old 10-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

The dude with the melted connector, I find it strange. because that connection is suppose to be inside the car and not dangling outside.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Trial User

Well, this is my first post. I'm pretty sure that I'm having this same issue with my 98 Accord. My speedo dropped while driving, and check engine came on. It seemed to want to stall, while idling. I don't have any blown fuses. I hope it's an 02 sensor.

I just replaced my radiator. I was also at the coast, which is hard on cars. I bottomed out kind of hard, on sand, while driving on the beach. The radiator had a hole in it, which doesn't appear to be a result of bottoming out. There are, however, some skinny wires, running around the fans. There's a green wire, running to what I think is the air compressor housing.

Both 02 sensors look good, from the outside, but they are pretty old. I'm going to take it to the parts house, to get a code. I just hope it's not a short somewhere, because I don't even know where to start, to try and find a short.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I could use your help. Thanks for any info you want to share.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Swoops
ok. so i have been on a thousand sites and all i just want everyone to know who has a problem with their fuse popping for alt / spd sensor "fuse 15" that is 7.5A
here is a little wire diagram for that fuse

if your speedometer just stopped working

if your car died on you and bogged out and you thought you had a bad alternator or vss or battery

check your wires on your o2 sensors this has alot to do with it.

if ur wires are touching you will pop a fuse mine would do it over and over out of no where

i read a 1000 forums on this

just because your battery doesnt show the alternator is working check fuse 15 its probably popped and dont spend all your money on the obvious it sounds dumb but you will waste your money buying that stuff if you have a short.you have TWO o2 sensors one on the headers one on the cat the one on my cat was f*cked up check both of them.check your wires behind the manifold check your wires on the back of your tach or under ur dash

dont listen to all these people telling you,your battery is bad or ur alternator or your vehicle speed sensor when you know it isnt if your fuse is popping YOU DO HAVE a short 99% and when u find it and fix it all the problems like your speedometer not working and ur alternator not charging ur battery blah blah

i hope i helped someone because i hate hearing rude answers like its your battery when u know for damn sure its not dont jump your fuse with something that shouldnt go there check everything twice.find a way to track down the short.theres easy methods you can find online.
Thanks for this! U must be very knowledgeable...keep up the good posts, you solved my issue!
Old 09-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the info would have been pissed if I had bought a new alternator before checking this, my exhaust fell off and o2 sensor was shorting. Speedo and alternator not working, awesome post keep on sharing
Old 08-22-2017, 10:26 AM
Trial User

Big Thanks
after two alternator installs & chats w mechanics...
checked that 15 fuse after seeing your post
and found it burnt out, replaced it and my ancient CR-V is back on the road
Honda CR-V 2000
Old 09-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, Thank you for all the info in this. Just wondering where exactly this "15 fuse" is? I read it is 7.5a and have looked in all three fuse locations. Can anyone tell me or if it is elsewhere, post a pic?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:12 AM
Trial User

I have a 1998 Acura cl 3.0 with a similar problem. Is this fuse under the hood or inside under the steering wheel
Old 04-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: Fuse 15 popping Alternator Not charging battery drained this might help

I'm hoping somebody can help me with this. I've been trying to get me 2000 Integra LS running again for the past 6 days and nothing working. I had the same issues of my speedometer quitting on me, then my stereo shutting off, then just a dead battery. The car would bog out when i gave it gas. I replaced the alternator, battery, VSS and the MAP sensor. I looked under my car and saw that my o2 wires were against my heat shield around the catalytic converter so i disconnected it and took it out. I ordered a new one but its a few days away from getting here. I replaced the fuse even though it wasn't even blown. I've looked through all of the wiring i could. Can somebody please guide me to the repair? I've spent hundreds of dollars that didnt even need to be spent and im so close to just burning my car.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by OGKAOS
I'm hoping somebody can help me with this. I've been trying to get me 2000 Integra LS running again for the past 6 days and nothing working. I had the same issues of my speedometer quitting on me, then my stereo shutting off, then just a dead battery. The car would bog out when i gave it gas. I replaced the alternator, battery, VSS and the MAP sensor. I looked under my car and saw that my o2 wires were against my heat shield around the catalytic converter so i disconnected it and took it out. I ordered a new one but its a few days away from getting here. I replaced the fuse even though it wasn't even blown. I've looked through all of the wiring i could. Can somebody please guide me to the repair? I've spent hundreds of dollars that didnt even need to be spent and im so close to just burning my car.
Check your fuse box under the dash and the fuse box under the hood in the engine bay especially the battery/ecu fuse.
Does the car have any power to the radio, lights ect.. ?
Does the engine crank when trying to start?
Check all the grounds especially the ground that bolts to the thermostat housing, remove the 10mm bolt and clean and sand the surface
Old 04-24-2019, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: Fuse 15 popping Alternator Not charging battery drained this might help

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Check your fuse box under the dash and the fuse box under the hood in the engine bay especially the battery/ecu fuse.
Does the car have any power to the radio, lights ect.. ?
Does the engine crank when trying to start?
Check all the grounds especially the ground that bolts to the thermostat housing, remove the 10mm bolt and clean and sand the surface
Both of the fuse boxes are good. I have full power to my car and it'll start no problem but theres no battery light on the dash and the alternator isnt charging. I got another new alternator in hopes that the first replacement was just faulty but it isnt. I've gone through all of the wiring that i could, and still can't find anything that would short even though my fuse isn't even blowing. I'm beginning to think it is the ECU that sh*t the bed and is causing this. I've checked all of the grounds that i could find and still nothing.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:44 PM
Trial User

If only I would have found this thread sooner. After doing a pull and letting out at 120, I hit a dip in the road and the car shut off. Purchased two alternators before realizing my O2 sensor was completely smashed from where I hit the dip in the road lol. I could have had that Hybrid racing shifter by now.