Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

What viscosity A/C oil? 94 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What viscosity A/C oil? 94 Accord

I can't seem to find anywhere in the manual where it says what viscosity oil to use in the A/C system. It says to use PAG oil, but I go to the auto parts store and they have Low, Medium, and High viscosity PAG oil. Anyone know for sure which one to use? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What viscosity A/C oil? 94 Accord (rhdins)

Bump
Old 08-31-2008, 07:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use PAG oil that is meant for r134a systems. you can buy the oil charge seperate or oil and refrigerant mixed......I would strongly recommend you get the leak repaired, the receiver dryer replaced and then place the system on a vaccum for about 8 hours and then recharge using the correct amt of oil and refrigerant as indicated on the underhood sticker
Old 08-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What viscosity A/C oil? 94 Accord (YeuEmMaiMai)

I don't have a leak, I just got a new compressor and need to put oil in it. At the store they have 3 different types of R134-a PAG oil, low, med and high viscosity, I'm wondering which one of those I should use.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

you will have to get that information from Honda....or see if it is on the A/C label under the hoof.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The label under the hood doesn't say anything about the viscosity of the oil. The manual says, use only PAG refrigerant oil (ND-OIL 8 or Hadsys Dn. S10X). I checked the pictures of the different types of oil off of http://www.partsamerica.com and so far I have found that,

Low Viscosity is = 46 ISO
Medium Viscosity = 100 ISO
High Viscosity = 150 ISO

The labels say High is Good for Ford, Chrysler, GM 2003 and newer and most foreign cars

Medium is good for non-GM A/C systems

Low is good for non-GM A/C systems

From googling nd oil 8, It looks like that it's equal to PAG 46 which would be the low viscosity oil. So that's what I'm going to use, if anyone knows that it's the low viscosity for sure, let me know.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

use
Nippodenso ND-OIL 8
Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by rhdins
The label under the hood doesn't say anything about the viscosity of the oil. The manual says, use only PAG refrigerant oil (ND-OIL 8 or Hadsys Dn. S10X). I checked the pictures of the different types of oil off of http://www.partsamerica.com and so far I have found that,

Low Viscosity is = 46 ISO
Medium Viscosity = 100 ISO
High Viscosity = 150 ISO

The labels say High is Good for Ford, Chrysler, GM 2003 and newer and most foreign cars

Medium is good for non-GM A/C systems

Low is good for non-GM A/C systems

From googling nd oil 8, It looks like that it's equal to PAG 46 which would be the low viscosity oil. So that's what I'm going to use, if anyone knows that it's the low viscosity for sure, let me know.
I just came across this thread, because I have the same question. However, I am AC certified and do have a bit of advantage. Btw, rhdins need to know the "VISCOSITY" not the kind of oil - he already knew he needed PAG oil. I mean duh how obvious was that. I suppose it just flew right by everyone and once again the answer was based upon just a rediculous assumption that the guy had a leak and th answers went into all kinds of irrelevant stuff. HE JUST WANTED TO KNOW THE VISCOSITY, OK!? So,I will answer at least part of this question.

EUROPEAN VEHICLES [for the most part] = Medium viscosity
AMERICAN VEHICLES [for the most part] = High, thick viscosity
ASIAN VEHICLES [for the most part] = Low, thin viscosity

Btw, you also need to know which compressor you have. The Hadsys and the Nippondenso each have a different part number for the AC system oil that is used. I have no cross reference to look up the Dn. S10X. But like I said above it is most likely a thin # 50 viscosity. However, I do not like to guess, because of Murphy's Law ... just when you think it is safe to guess. But I'm gonna get the Low thin stuff myself, about a #50.