Notices

Where can I get a turbonetics turbo rebuild kit????

Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I get a turbonetics turbo rebuild kit????

I have a turbonetics turbo that needs a rebuild. I'm not positive what exact turbo it is. It has a stage 1 .48 exhaust housing, but not exactly sure on the cold side size. Also I noticed it has oil lines as well as coolant jackets in the center section. Does this mean ball bearing??? Journal???? Idk exactly what this thing is. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx HT
Old 01-13-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Where can I get a turbonetics turbo rebuild kit????

It would be best that you send it out to be inspected and rebuilt. Water lines COULD mean a ball-bearing cartridge, but its not a shear determination. It may be more than just a "rebuild kit", if the turbine shaft was warped from lack of oil or foreign object debris. If you don't even know what turbo you have, and this is to be used as a daily driver, this is not the time to start to learn now.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks so much for the info. I have three turbo behicles and purchased a used turbonetics to be my backup. I've read that many people have ahd success rebuilding the turbo on their own. I think I could do it myself and try and mark the wheel and shaft to best try and keep things balanced. I'm trying to take the cheaper way out and rebuilt it myself. I'd love peoples input as to what to do..... I have my garrett disco potato out for rebuilt right now too. and its been like a year and still no rebuilt turbo, sooooo I'm trying to have a backup for cheap without the year long wait for a real rebuilb. Thanks HT
Old 01-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Depending upon what happened to your Potato, it may just be sitting on a shelf because something other than the compressor wheel was damaged, and therefore, precludes a rebuild. It has now become a paperweight.

You can try a standard Garrett rebuild kit (you have better luck than if you had a ebay "shell" to use it on) and see if it works for you. hopefully there's no bluing of the shaft, the turbine sealing ring is still intact, and there was no foreign object debris. Otherwise, no matter what you do, it'll get expensive.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the help. I'm just going to pull it apart before I order anything. See what I'm dealing with.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You may get the rebuild kit from www.treadstoneperformance.com at very good price. Other than knowing your tools, rebuilding are strict with cleanliness and shaft vsr balancing. On diy, people normally mark where the nut are on both end of the shaft so it doesn't need to be rebalanced, without balacing end result would be catastrophic after a few hard pulls.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just rebuilt my turbonetic t3/t4 and used a kit off ebay that i got for like 30 bucks or something.
it did the job. doesnt blow smoke anymore.
scribed everything before taking it apart.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice. I'll keep that in mind. Got to disassemble and see what's going on with the center housing. Figure out if it's truely Ball Bearing or what...
Old 01-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics of disassembly. It's a gold colored bearing inside. Not sure what that is??? metal bushing so its a journal turbo? I've got to pick up a pair of c-clip pliers tomorrow in that small size. Then I can pull it apart more. Also the exhaust housing doesn't want to come off. I soaked it in PB around the edge and still nothing. What needs to be done to get the housing off. I can't even clock the housing to get three of the bolts out. Thanks for any help
Attached Images       
Old 01-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure all the bolts on the hot side are loose

coax it loose with a hammer. sharp, deliberate taps.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
It would be best that you send it out to be inspected and rebuilt. Water lines COULD mean a ball-bearing cartridge, but its not a shear determination. It may be more than just a "rebuild kit", if the turbine shaft was warped from lack of oil or foreign object debris. If you don't even know what turbo you have, and this is to be used as a daily driver, this is not the time to start to learn now.
Turbonetics uses the same gutts as a Honeywell / Garrett T3, contact Scroll Products in Fairfield, NJ they sell all sorts of rebuild kits, chra replacements and hybrid turbo upgrades. They can VSR balance that turbo also if you decide to build it yourself, the balancing is important.

Scroll Products
111 Clinton Road Unit 6
Fairfield, NJ 07004
201-925-0825
Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a similar Turbonetics oil/watercooler turbo for sale that is in need or a rebuild after oil started to leak into the exhaust housing and i began to blow smoke.

curious to see if you were able to rebuild everything yourself and how long it has been running.

in for rebuild pics
Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by SMK777
Turbonetics uses the same gutts as a Honeywell / Garrett T3, contact Scroll Products in Fairfield, NJ they sell all sorts of rebuild kits, chra replacements and hybrid turbo upgrades. They can VSR balance that turbo also if you decide to build it yourself, the balancing is important.

Scroll Products
111 Clinton Road Unit 6
Fairfield, NJ 07004
201-925-0825
mmmkay. thanks