Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

DIY Throttle body calibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Throttle body calibration

alright so I recently purchased a set of ZXR-1000 throttle bodies (43mm) off of ebay.
they are nice quality and have great potential. The inside diameter of the cast section is about 46mm and then there is a 1 inch machined portion that jumps immediately to 43mm. Other than smoothing these transitions the throttle will stay relatively untouched.

I plan to use a vacuum and measure current flow in order to make sure each one is flowing equal.

Anyone with experience who would care to share some wisdom it would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:
Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY Throttle body calibration

has anyone done this before with port work or anything?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes you do need to synch the Kawi throttle bodies. This will allow for a more even idle and throttle response. Makes them easier to tune when they are stable w/equal vacuum.

As for the TPS you will need to get a voltage reading from the signal wire of the TPS. They are wired the same as a Honda TPS. You need to use a voltmeter and get the voltages for both closed throttle and wide open throttle. Once you have these two voltage readings they will come into effect when you go to tune your engine management system (EMS or chipped ECU).

I will assume most ROM editing(tuning) software has an application for a custom TPS voltage. I know both Crome & eCtune do. It will scale the Kawi voltage that you input and run as if you were using a stock TPS.

These are the values that I read off of my Suzuki TPS on my ITBs.
1.45v @ 0% throttle (closed throttle)
4.40v @ 100% throttle (wide open throttle)
Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for your input, i remember your thread from back when you started it.
I only really need info on synchronizing the rest I have already figured out, i should have been more clear in my post.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the tool used for syncing Weber side-draft carbs would work for you. They are not expensive.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use the Motion Pro Syncpro Carburetor Tuner. The bike mechanics I talked to swear by the Morgan Carbtune II. I don't work on bikes enough to warrant spending the extra money on the Morgan. The Motion Pro has worked for me so far.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the responses. I had seen these types of tools before and just assumed they were expensive(most scientific apparatus is overpriced). I'll try my own way and if its not working then i'll order one of these. The morgan carbtune looks like a pretty good deal to me i always get my friends to chip in on tools i'll have to show them this.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have any friends that ride sport bikes? See if they know any local bike shops that might rent/lend a sync tool too you for a couple hours.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^actually thats a good idea, I ride bikes and never even thought of going to a bike shop haha. actually most of the people i know who have a shop probably wouldnt lend their tools out but its worth a shot i guess.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by unusual71
^^actually thats a good idea, I ride bikes and never even thought of going to a bike shop haha. actually most of the people i know who have a shop probably wouldnt lend their tools out but its worth a shot i guess.
Yeah even to have one of them come out and give you a hand would be nice eh! Cheaper for you in the long run. I bought a sync tool because I am planning on doing a few more individual throttle/carb builds. ITB'd 500 in² V8 is next in line
Old 01-20-2010, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll probably invest in the tool also since I would like to do more of this kind of work down the line. can't wait to try mine out... goin to do some work tomorrow ill post some pics after

thats funny you mention the V8. My dad built a BB chevy this summer and i kept bugging him to go with ITBs but he said it wasn't worth it
guess it all depends on the application.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by unusual71
i'll probably invest in the tool also since I would like to do more of this kind of work down the line. can't wait to try mine out... goin to do some work tomorrow ill post some pics after

thats funny you mention the V8. My dad built a BB chevy this summer and i kept bugging him to go with ITBs but he said it wasn't worth it
guess it all depends on the application.
That's for sure. Depends on whether or not it's carbureted or fuel injected. If it's carbureted, then you ether add 8 single carbs (tuning nightmare) or add a fuel injection system. Both would be an extensive amount of work. Like he said, probably not worth it.

I already have 2 sets of 4 x 45mm fuel injected throttle bodies. Now I have to make the manifold bases and hook up a few sensors for the engine management system. (Megasquirt III) Oh and I still need to find the right Chev chassis to put it in...lol

Good luck with your tuning

Cheers