Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cracked engine block

Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked engine block

Just put my swap in after what's been about 5 months of building the motor. I cranked the engine with out the fuel, ignition, etc until oil pressure came up and afterwards noticed a drip of oil. I went underneath and thought it was the drip out of the pan. I thought maybe it will expand. I hooked everything up and then when I cranked on the enginemy buddy noticed a large amount of oil coming out. I stoppped went underneath the car and saw it was coming by the oil pressure sending unit. I took it off and noticed that the part where it threads into the block split.

Now I'm stuck. I can only think of a couple things to do. I could rig it to work, with the help of liquid metal, or jb weld. I could call up a machine shop and get it welded, but then its still going to leak because the threads expanded and cant get oil pressure unit welded to the block. And the only other thing I could do (that I can think of) is to have the exsisting hole welded completely and use my sandwhich filter to get oil pressure from.

Does anyone else have any ideas.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cracked engine block

i like idea #3 (is to have the exsisting hole welded completely and use my sandwhich filter to get oil pressure from. )
Old 12-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Last one is your best bet. But to get it cleaned and welded is going to cost you an arm and leg. JB weld will be fine. Where exactly did it crack?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures would certainly help
Old 12-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cracked right on the top im hosting pistures at the moment will post in a second. I cleaned and liquid metal and jb welded it. Going to let it sit for a while and hope that works. But I like a back up idea.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

red line shows where it cracked
Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grind the crack out and either have it filled with weld or fill w/ epoxy. Tap the hole. Install sender with some sealer on it.

Only hassle will be keeping metal/grinding media out of oil passages. My new engine came with allen plugs in the oil sender hole. If you screwed one of those or a similar bolt in the hole before doing any work it could block contaminants. It would also help maintain the integrity of the hole while welding, assuming it doesn't get welded in there (does aluminium stick to steel?). Grind, compressed air, solvent/acetone, turn the plug, clean again, weld/fill. Back the steel plug out hopefully you're good (maybe don't even have to tap). Maybe some release agent from one of those permatex liquid thread repair kits to make sure the bolt doesn't get glued in.

Prolly have to remove an axle or sumpin' for access?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

JB weld or bust!!!

that point on the engine doest see much stress, the crack is from something hitting it or a dumbass crankin that sender down too hard.

JB weld if done properly will do just fine as a permanent fix.

OBVIOUSLY your other options are better, but jb weld is 5 bucks.... lol worth a shot in my opinion

p.s. fram filters suck
Old 12-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90Rexx

p.s. fram filters suck
+1
Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

definilty fixable, Happened to a buddy years ago and went the JB weld route and worked .

well first time didnt , as he really didnt clean the surface well so th ejb weld didnt stick to well,

second time around he cleaned everything very well, then jb welded it. Turned on car, and did an oil change after car was running for a minute or so.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

never had a problem with fram.. obviously theres better but i wouldnt say they suck
Old 12-22-2009, 02:30 PM

bought a block with a broke brass fitting in the same spot and I used liquid steel and it did the job just clean it very good....
Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why thanks for saying fram filters suck, it was a engine break in, or was supposed to be...so I was usig it then going to change it out for something nice on the second oil change.

It was a combo of both, I think we bumped it and I may have cranked it down to hard. But the update today is, before work I decided to go out and put more JB weld on around the sensor, and upon touching it, the part was so brittle that it broke into three chunks.

I called up about every machine shop and welder I could find, and found someone who specializes in this stuff. Im going to bite the bullet and have it tig welded...well shut I believe (thats what me and him talked about.) If I had it welded then tapped I would have to disasseble and reassemble engine...that is just a pain in the *** since I just got it together. So I think I am going to go with option three, weld shut and use the sandwich filter.

But the fact here is JB didnt work. I called the race shops too around here, and they said they have never heard about this happening...but **** happens.

Ill post pictures in a second. All I can say is be prepared for them, Im glad the JB showed me that it was extremely brittle now and not later...dont want my engine toast...might as well wipe my *** with $100's if that happens!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91GreenBeanSi
bought a block with a broke brass fitting in the same spot and I used liquid steel and it did the job just clean it very good....
Thats sounds like it might have been a Tuner Toys fitting, They are tough, someone probably over tightened it or threaded the sender unit for an oil psi gauge right onto the Tee putting excess weight on it. I have my sender mounted in a seperate location with a s.s line coming off the tee.

OP, That sucks man. Goodluck in getting it taken care of and hopefully it doesn't cost you to much. Brightside though is like you said, you found out now the JB didn't hold, better now than when driving down the road.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

car almost flew off the trailer on the way to thee welders...and i thought to myself...man I suck at life! Block should be done by tommorow afternoon. Woo. That will stop the leak!!!! TIG weld!!!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The block just got done at 7:30, going to pick it up now.

I was wondering can I try to start the car with the oil pressure sender unit not on, after I give it some dry cranks with everything off and build oil pressure. I just want to see if she will start.

It was only a hundred bucks too btw for anyone who encounters this problem.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol my friend did this when he tried using a air tool(impact gun) to tighten the oil pressure switch we cleaned it up, jb welded it 2 yrs later still good...
Old 12-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh dear lord. Well that may be fine for non turbo cars, but I was going to branch my turbo line out of there. i used no impact gun but somthing happened. It will be fine now. Pictures of my fix in a moment