Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

SRS Light On

Old 10-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Light On

I own a 2002 Civic EX and the SRS light is on the dash board. The bags never deployed nor was it in a accident but the light turned on while driving on the fwy a few days ago. It has about 140k miles and I checked all the fuses/all Ok. Any recommendations on how to fix or anyone had the same problem?

Thank you for every1's Help
Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Light On

u probably just need to reset it
Old 10-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

STEPS

1. remove the fuse cover underneath the steering column.

2. locate the yellow plug on the top-right and remove it.

3. the front of the plug should have pin two holes.

4. take the tool you've created, and tape the ends so that the space between the two ends matches the distance between the width of the pin holes on the plug. In this case, I used a piece of speaker wire.

5. insert the ends of your tool into the plug.

6. turn the ignition ON. after about 5 seconds the srs/airbag light will turn off.

7. remove one end of the tool. the srs/airbag light will come back on immediately.

8. reinsert the removed end. this time the srs/airbag light should blink twice, then turn off.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Click us. - We're links.

If the SRS light comes back on, likely there is a faulty component somewhere in the SRS system.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am keeping an eye on an intermittent SRS light on my 03 Civic myself. Read the codes being thrown, first. Here is info for doing so:
http://sites.google.com/site/hondalioness/srs. This includes instructions for a fancy-schmancy homemade SCS short connector tool. Given all the re-setting and diagnosing I am attempting on my SRS system, I like the tool. To me it is one less annoyance while diagnosing.

Intermittent codes come up a lot here and at other Honda fora. I did find in the shop manual a procedure for "troubleshooting intermittent failures" of the SRS system. It reads as though these are going to happen from time to time (because the SRS electronics are so sensitive?), so the owner should be equipped to deal with them.

Last edited by honda.lioness; 11-05-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A few months ago there was a airbag recall on 01's. I brought mine in and they noticed the light was on, which was unrelated to the specific recall, but the dealership fixed it free of charge. Might be worth asking if they will take care of it for you. Better to find out the light is on by mistake than to realize the hard way your airbag doesnt work
Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you all guys! This really helps me out cause I worry when my wife drives it, I dont want the bags to deploy and knock her out while driving.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dragallmotor24
Thank you all guys! This really helps me out cause I worry when my wife drives it, I dont want the bags to deploy and knock her out while driving.
I have read different reports about the status of the SRS system when the SRS light is on. Some folks have written that, when the SRS light is on, the SRS system is de-activated, so you have no airbag protection. Yet other reports say not so; e.g. see https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/looking-01-civic-lx-but-srs-light-2603731/#post39215301 .

In researching more on this for my 2003 Civic LX, I see many reports of a cell phone sitting on the passenger seat setting off the SRS light. Apparently there is even a recall out on this for Accords. See http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/A...ht_is_on.shtml and https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/srs-light-1824759/ (says the guy tested the system by putting a walkie talkie on the passenger seat. Again and again, using the walkie-talkie set off the SRS light).

Last edited by honda.lioness; 11-05-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where can i find the scs service conneter, is there any website i can buy or any location parts stores like, (auto zone) or what so ever... becuz i have to reset mine also.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the air bag would deploy. I would worry about it because i have my SRS on for almost 3 years now.. I did bother trying to fix it because you cannot really fix it 100%. The dealer can only fix this for you correctly and safely.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

might be the seatbelt buckles
Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 AM

there is an air bag inflator recall on 01 and 02 civics as of 8-12-09 its sevice bulletin 08-093. BUT your srs light isnt on because of this. Chances are its a seat belt buckle which would be replaced free of charge at any honda dealer. I wouldnt even mess with trying to extract the codes manually. Most dealerships wouldnt charge to scan the light and tell you what it needs because chances are its covered under warranty anyway. Oh service bulletin 06-009 covers your opds system as well up to 10years or 157500miles...so more reason just to take it to the dealer.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea mine was on in my 2005 civic with 35k miles and I work at Honda so when I told them about it, they told me its a lifetime warranty on it. The sensor in the piece you connect the buckle to goes bad or something. they will replace it for free anytime. ill be having mine done friday.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is great info...Long Beach Honda agreed to check it out so I have an oppointment this saturday...We'll see what happens. Keep and stay posted.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is great info...Long Beach Honda agreed to check it out so I have an oppointment this saturday...We'll see what happens. Keep and stay posted.
I would appreciate your update. I am doing the following:

--Stopping by my dealer in the next few days and making inquiries (of the no charge kind).

--Experimenting with my cell phone (keeping it off in the car, which is a good safety practice anyway, since I know when I am on the phone in the car driving does not have my full attention). See my edited post above for people giving reports that cell phones can set off the SRS light.

--Looking up recalls on Hondas concerning the cell phone setting off the SRS light.

Last edited by honda.lioness; 11-05-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j spec
there is an air bag inflator recall on 01 and 02 civics as of 8-12-09 its sevice bulletin 08-093. BUT your srs light isnt on because of this. Chances are its a seat belt buckle which would be replaced free of charge at any honda dealer. I wouldnt even mess with trying to extract the codes manually. Most dealerships wouldnt charge to scan the light and tell you what it needs because chances are its covered under warranty anyway. Oh service bulletin 06-009 covers your opds system as well up to 10years or 157500miles...so more reason just to take it to the dealer.
Honda Canada wont fix mine cause its not covered under warrenty, my SRS light is being caused by the Seat Belt clip (right hand side of seat, the part where the seat belt clips into) they want $104 for the new clip plus a hour labour and 60 for the diagnostic, just to have that fixed would cost me almost $250, i'll keep resetting my light every 5-6 weeks that it comes on.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GriFFIthS
Honda Canada wont fix mine cause its not covered under warrenty, my SRS light is being caused by the Seat Belt clip (right hand side of seat, the part where the seat belt clips into) they want $104 for the new clip plus a hour labour and 60 for the diagnostic, just to have that fixed would cost me almost $250, i'll keep resetting my light every 5-6 weeks that it comes on.
i can probably get u the part cheaper and find u instruction on how to change it ureself. let me know pm me if u want me to check price on part
Old 11-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After some false starts, I finally figured out how to read the SRS code correctly, using homemade tools. The correct procedure now appears at my hondalioness web site, linked above. Code 9-3 is being thrown intermittently. This code translates to "faulty driver's seat belt buckle switch." Reports on the web suggest this switch's failure is pretty common.

For those not handy, here are some symptoms that might help you recognize that 9-3 is likely being thrown: The last time I got the code, I had started the car with my seat belt undone. I saw the SRS light come on and stay on. Curiously the seat belt indicator light was off, though. I fastened my belt and started driving. I momentarily unfastened my belt, and the seat belt light came on, as it is supposed to. But I think the fact that the seat belt light was originally off when it should have been on is a clue that 9-3 is the code being thrown.

After I re-set the SRS memory and so cleared the light, I tried to turn it on again by wiggling the seat belt buckle. This did indeed turn on the SRS light.

On one occasion the SRS light came on, and then a day later it went off by itself, with no action by me.

My dealer was terrific. My dealer does not charge for reading codes, regardless of which code it ends up being. The dealer said if it was the seat belt, it was very likely covered under the seat belt lifetime warranty. They read the code within 20 minutes, confirmed that 9-3 was being thrown, and ordered the replacement part. It arrived in a few days and took only 1.5 hours to replace. It is covered under the seat belt lifetime warranty. I paid nothing but my time to get this fixed.

Interestingly, another member of the service department said that the buckle switch is supposed to wear periodically [every several years?], so owners are forced to replace the buckle (unless they want to live with a permanent SRS indicator light) and so ensure the integrity of the belt.

Last edited by honda.lioness; 11-12-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can they still fix the airbag? they sent me a letter about the airbag recall and schedule an app with them so i can get it fixed but i got rsx seats in there with the rsx seatbelt and the light was already on since i bought the car..i made a connector to reset the srs light but its hard as hell to reset
Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great thread. I had looked all over for SRS info. without success. I just turned the SRS light off on my 03 Civic. If it comes back I will have to pull the codes. (of course the dealer said my car is not in the VIN sequence for the warranty extension )
Old 11-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So far so good. I have driven the car for a day and the SRS light is still off. Good thing I did not take it to the dealer.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by terry s
So far so good. I have driven the car for a day and the SRS light is still off. Good thing I did not take it to the dealer.
Does your dealer charge for reading codes? Also, if you are in the United States and the code is seatbelt related, there is a good chance that parts and labor are covered under the lifetime seatbelt warranty.

Reading the codes is easier than re-setting the light. See link above for how to do so. For the DIYer, the cost is a few minutes of labor and a couple of inches of jumper wire (or a paper clip).
Old 11-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by honda.lioness
Does your dealer charge for reading codes? Also, if you are in the United States and the code is seatbelt related, there is a good chance that parts and labor are covered under the lifetime seatbelt warranty.

Reading the codes is easier than re-setting the light. See link above for how to do so. For the DIYer, the cost is a few minutes of labor and a couple of inches of jumper wire (or a paper clip).
The dealer wants $99.00 to read the codes. I am in Kansas City on the Kansas side. If the light comes back on I will read the codes and see what they are. The dealer said the Occupant Sensor warranty extension does not apply to my car because it is not in the right VIN sequence. If it does turn out to be the seat belt switch I will see what they say. Some dealers have replaced the seatbelt under the lifetime warranty and some will not. One person objected and went to Honda customer service. They came back and told him it was not covered as it is an electrical component and thus not covered under the seatbelt warranty. However as I understand it is an assembly ane you have to get the complete seatbelt buckle with the switch. We have several dealers here so I will try them all if need be.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 PM
New User

guys can we refurnish our SRS bag.. or is it SRS have expiration date.. im confused, the Honda Center told me my SRS expired already..
Old 04-20-2010, 06:41 AM
Trial User

My SRS light came on at 110,000 miles. Never in a accident. Drivers side seat belt hard to latch. Could that be the problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SRS Light On