Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

1999 Honda CRV. How do I replace the interior door handle?

Old 11-23-2009, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Honda CRV. How do I replace the interior door handle?

I have a replacement interior door handle for my '99 Honda CRV AWD. It has power windows so the interior door handle also houses the window control (front passenger side). There is only one screw holding the handle in place and the handle is removed by sliding it forward. However, do I have to remove the door handle to remove the handle completely or is there a trick involved to this process?

I'm having problems because I can't get the window disconnected from the switch or the metal rod disconnected from the handle to replace it with a new one. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, tips, etc.

And yes - I already searched for a solution to this problem.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1999 Honda CRV. How do I replace the interior door handle?

the handle comes right off. The plastic tab slides to the side, and the rod pulls up. It's easy. The switch on the handle is for the door locks, not the window. If you cant do it, slide a best buy installer $5 to do it for you.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 1999 Honda CRV. How do I replace the interior door handle?

I had a similar problem and needed to replace my interior driver's side handle when the latch broke off!

First, you unscrew the one screw attaching the handle to the door. You push the handle assembly forward and pull it out part way.

Disconnect the plug from the door lock or window switch by pinching it and pulling it downward, then pull the metal rod connecting the door to the handle upward, while at the same time disconnecting the plastic clip that is snapped on to the rod by pushing the part that is gripping it backward. Make sure that you take a good look at the way the plastic snap goes before removing it! You'll understand what I'm talking about just by looking at it (maybe take a pic?).

Unscrew the 2 small screws that are holding the lock switch or window switch onto the handle, and then rescrew that switch onto the new handle (I got a new handle assembly from ebay for around $12).

Slide the metal bar from the door back through the plastic clip hole on the new handle, and reconnect that clip onto the metal bar sliding the clip forward onto the metal so that it's got a grip.

Reconnect the switch to the plug, slide the handle inward and back, screw it to the door and VOILA! New working handle!

I'm a girl with no experience, and it took me 5 minutes. Just work slow and patient! (Careful not to drop the clip or screws into the door, as I can see that happening!)
Old 09-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, catmaru. I had the exact same thing happen with my 2001 CR-V. Your description was perfect. Fix it very easily.

By the way, there are a lot of makers of matching parts out there, but the one I used was part # HO-2601MG-FL Inside Door Handle, Driver Side, made by PT Auto Warehouse. $15 on the amazon.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an update. The replacement part made by PT Auto Warehouse broke after about 16 months. Poor quality, I guess. The original lasted about 12 years.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, mine broke too after a couple of years, but at least they're inexpensive and easy-ish to fix (just a bit of a nuisance)! I will buy 2 this time so I have a backup!