Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

NEED HELP car vibrates when im not moving

Old 10-08-2009, 01:15 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP car vibrates when im not moving

Guys this problem is killing me i have taken it back many times and they admitted to there being a problem and kept trying to fix it and they never could finally the time i tell them i need a rental they say oh these vibrations are normal.......

So i have a 2008 honda civic lx with roughly 20K on it. its a manual transmission. now when im stopped i notice the rpms dance around and then finally drop to around 650 rpms and my car starts shaking to the point where my center consule is visably shaking and stuff in my glove box is rattling. Now i have never been in a car that shakes nearly this bad and i have a 1979 trans am.

When i do things like turn the lights on or put the ac on or turn the steering wheel the rpms jump but then go right back to 650 and it starts to shake. Also it doesn't matter if the car is in neutral or the clutch is in or my foot is on the brake.

PLEASE for my sanity i need help with this one or if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Road House

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NEED HELP car vibrates when im not moving

650 is a little low. It should be at about 750. Perhaps the engine speed is too slow for the clutch to handle.

Check the oil/mtf.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the vibrating is definitely from the low idle, but i have no idea why it'd be low. keep bitching at your dealer until they fix it. if they say that nothing's wrong then have them compare your idle to a civic that's on the lot.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Road House

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend's 03 Neon did that when she didn't change the oil for 15,000 miles.

You'd rev the engine up to 3.0k, then release the gas. It would sit there, still idling at 3.0k for a couple seconds, (longer than if just a DBW issue) then drop down to 1.0k, bounce back up to 2.0k, then finally back down to 1.0k
Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

idle def seems low, also make sure that they check your motor mounts, we've had a few 8th gen civics with bad, engine mounts, the mount saggs then you get a lot of driveline vibration that changes with rpm, the mount that goes bad is the mount located on the pass side of the engine, go look at yours and you'll see a bracket that comes off of the engine and connects to the mount if you look you may notice that the bracket is sitting on the mount( the rubber part) there should be about an 1/4 gap there normally, if theres no gap that may be your problem
Old 10-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A while back my car was acting pretty weird. Among other things, I thought the idle seemed low, and I know it was lower than when I first bought the car. It was definitely originally around 850 rpm, because I remember trying to level the rpm at 1k and it being hard to do with the dbw. After my car starting acting up, the idle got noticeably rougher and the idle dropped to like 600 rpm. When I brought it to Honda, I pointed out the low, rough idle and they said it was at factory specs. They also said it didn't feel rough to them at all, and that they compared it to another Si on the lot and it was the same. I could feel the rough idle in their shop with a lot of noise and a car with a fart can idling next to it. They never figured out why my car was acting the way it was and it kind of just fixed itself....lol. The idle has since climbed up a little bit but it's still rough for my liking. IDK