Notices

Turbo leaking oil into intercooler.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo leaking oil into intercooler.

Ok, so here's whats going on. I was on my way to the track yesterday and blew off an intercooler pipe off my GT30r. I drove about 10 miles or more till I could make a stop to repair the issue. Upon doing so there was oil dripping out of my intercooler pipes. A good amount. Enough to be dripping.

My crank breathers are routed to my oil catch, then vented. It isn't re-routed before the turbo.

My question is; Could the oil in the pipes caused from the coupler blowing off and running the car NA for a period of time? Or is the oil in the pipes what caused the coupler to come off in the first place? I've noticed about 1qt of oil has gone missing over the last 400 miles (road trip to the track and back).

There is Zero smoke out the exhaust. No drips of oil on the pavement, so that dizzy o ring is holding up ok. Anyone have this issue before? This CHRA is only 3000 miles old.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo leaking oil into intercooler.

turbo seals on the compressor side.

the pipe blowing off prolly wasn't related, just coincidence. hopefully not hose clamps??
Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would the turbo seal be bad already? Bad luck? I am using some really bad *** hose clamps from NAPA. they can tighten way hard and don't bind up like some others. Best clamps I have found so far for the price.

But perhaps the oil leaking was what caused the pipe to come off. There was oil all over the pipes and coupler, perhaps causing it to slip off over the bead.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your oil return line have a good angle for the oil to go back to the pan? Oil could not be properly returning causing it to back up in to the turbo.

Oil restrictor?? May be too much oil is going into yor turbo?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I seem to remember something about the pressure inside the compressor housing assisting in the sealing... so running it open would not allow the turbo to build pressure... so that could have allowed it to leak while not under boost.

I'm not 100pct on that though.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by esedulerp5tenin
turbo seals on the compressor side.

the pipe blowing off prolly wasn't related, just coincidence. hopefully not hose clamps??
x2 seals done son
Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

talked to atp tech. They emailed me back and said that most likely it is just fine. They also mentioned pressure in the pipe assisting sealing. But also mentioned that the crankcase may need some more assistance breathing since I am running 20+psi.

I am hoping so, because the turbo outlet when checked today was completely dry. Just some residual oil left in the lowest pipe and that is it.

I'm gonna stay positive on this one. Seems like the only place you can find oil is in the intercooler pipe lowest in the system. The rest is completely dry.