Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car dies while running!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies while running!

Ok here it goes, about a month ago my car would shut off at idle and start right up, then it started doing it more and more often to the point where it would miss real bad at low rpms. All of a sudden she started shutting off mid rev and wouldn't start, give it a little time and she would fire right up again but the problem of misfires still persisted. Now it got to the point where i couldn't make it 3 blocks before it was done. We REPLACED the plugs, plug wires, and dizzy, the dizzy was a remaned unit from advanced. She started up and i drove around no problem, after about 3 to 4 hours of drive time it shut off again, started up later that night, then died mid way through town....please help guys
Old 09-23-2009, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Car dies while running!

ive got power all the way to the distributor harness but its not sparking
Old 09-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

What year/engine?

Any CEL codes? Click here.

Are both the coil and ICM/igniter unit new inside the remanufactured distributor?

When the engine won't start, listen for whether the fuel pump also fails to prime in addition to the lack of spark.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 AM

fuel pump primes, as for the parts in the reman im not sure ill have to call advance, but we did install a mr gasket high performance internal coil in the reman to see if it would work, negative, there are no CEL codes at all being thrown, its a 1998 civic ex with a 96 gsr motor, R rods, 5 over R pistons, Skunk2pro2 cams springs retainers intake manifold, you get the picture lol, but im getting fuel all the way past the filter just to throw that out there, like i said i heard the remans were worse than if you got a used one, these guys that do foreign repair out by me said thats what they have experienced, the remans will fail faster than a used one
Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 AM

all the fuses are good also
Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the CEL work?

Tell us the outcome of these coil and ICM input tests:

Old 09-23-2009, 08:32 AM

yea the CEL works we tried pullin some sensors before to see if it would respond different to them in order to see if they were bad and it threw CELs, see now listen to his on that TEC dizzy coil test diagram we did the secondary test and got nothing, even on a brand new coil? and we tried a coil from a B20 i bought at a yard which said the owner drove the crv in so it was obviously good? but when we did the A and B primaries we only got 12 im pretty sure... on the other test we did the BLK/YLW wire last weekend and got voltage, and voltage on the WHT/BLU, before we install the remaned one again from advance, under warranty so we got a fresh one, ill check the 6,7,8 steps...

so if i pass all the test it has to be the ICM? we were gonna chance that out but it seemed to be to much, we had already been testing **** for hours mind you.
if i pass all tests should i try and replace the ICM before putting the whole new reman on also?

thanks for you time by the way i extremely appreciate it, my dad f****** hates my honda lol he curses at himself constantly for ever letting me buy the skunk parts ah ha, hes a muscle guy, bought a 69 chevelle ss396 and fully rebuilt it ground up at 48,000mi, sand blasted the frame and even put the original markings on the firewall, our relationship is like no other haha again thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 08:43 AM

my dad might be coming down tonight w/ the remaned dizzy so ill read your feedback and answer later on ive got night class 630-9 so if i can respond before i will if not itll be later on, THANKS!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Regarding the coil, note that the range for the primary resistance is Ohms whereas the secondary resistance is kilo-Ohms, so make sure the multimeter is set to the appropriate Ohm scale for each test. Do all of the coil and ICM tests exactly as described in the diagrams and then go from there.

For your previous voltage measurements in the dizzy, did you read battery voltage? Another worthwhile test is to measure voltage where the Yel/Grn wire attaches to the ICM. You should read about 10.5V. You can also take the ICM to an auto parts store for testing. This should be a free service.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM

yea i can dig the different primary and secondary ohm measurements, like i said hopefully he comes down and we'll do all the checks and ill post again, you have been MORE than helpful, save me a tow bill
Old 09-23-2009, 01:32 PM

we put the reman in and it started Ron. My dad didn't wanna take the time to do the last steps of the testing for some reason he said if the new dizzy didn't work we would, idk? its running for now if i have any problems in the future ill post on this thread again and I appreciate the acquired knowledge and your time!! thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by R5Kxxwhatxx10
we put the reman in and it started Ron. My dad didn't wanna take the time to do the last steps of the testing for some reason he said if the new dizzy didn't work we would, idk? its running for now if i have any problems in the future ill post on this thread again and I appreciate the acquired knowledge and your time!! thanks
That's great, but I thought the reman dizzy wasn't working?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:11 PM

i said up in one of the top posts that we got another reman from advance because it was warrantied lol, installed the new dizzy and vrrooommmm now its back to trying to get my idle to calm down the pro2s are some nice hardware from skunk, ima drive it back to hybridynamics up here by me and have them get the timing back to perfect!