Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

how much is it to replace valve seals???

Old 09-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much is it to replace valve seals???

got a b18b1 from 2000 integra LS and my car is burning alot of oil. did a compression test and it tested 180 across the board so im assuming its not the rings. did a leakdown and it seems like it would be the valve seals. anyone know how much it will cost to replace the parts at the shop for labor? i know parts from honda is like $40 but im not the greatest mechanic myself so im thinking about letting the shop do the job.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: how much is it to replace valve seals???

Originally Posted by mynameizstitch
got a b18b1 from 2000 integra LS and my car is burning alot of oil. did a compression test and it tested 180 across the board so im assuming its not the rings. did a leakdown and it seems like it would be the valve seals. anyone know how much it will cost to replace the parts at the shop for labor? i know parts from honda is like $40 but im not the greatest mechanic myself so im thinking about letting the shop do the job.
I am dealing with an oil burning problem myself (~1/2 quart per 600 miles). A compression test does not identify whether the oil control rings are failing, since the compression rings above the oil control rings may be holding fine, hence yielding perfectly good test results while the oil control rings are in fact bad. To get to the valve seals, the following needs to be done:

-- Remove valve cover, maybe 0.1 hour
-- Back off valve lash adjusting screws and remove rocker arm assembly, maybe 0.5 hour
-- Remove all valve springs, retainers and keepers, maybe 1 hour
-- Put all back together, adding 0.5 hour for a valve adjustment

I would figure about 4 hours of labor by a skilled mechanic, so a few hundred dollars of labor charges, worst case and depending if the dealer does it.

If you have lower spark plug tube o-rings (they sit under the rocker arm assembly), have them replace these too. It is around $10 more in parts.

I replaced the valve stem seals, and it has made no difference. I can find no oil leaks. I am hoping it is the oil control rings being carboned up and that some cleansing (possibly with additives like Auto RX) may fix the oil burning or diminish it.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

i could be wrong, but it seems to me that there is some confusion here between two different parts.

valve stem [or valve guide] seals prevent excessive oil from moving from the top of the head, under the valve cover to the ports (where they would then drain into the chamber and be burned)

valve seats seal off the combustion chamber when the valves close.

a bad valve guide seal can consume/burn oil, producing blue smoke from the exhaust. these are $40 for a set of new ones. they aren't terribly difficult to install for someone who is comfortable with dissassembling a cylinder head.

a failed leak-down test would indicate a bad seal at the valve seats (anything from poor adjustment, surface pitting, carbon build up, to burnt/bent valves) ...if the rings are ruled out. these ususally require cylinder head rebuild or replacement, depending on mileage, age and extent of damage/cost.

keep in mind, a bad leak-down test and oil burning can both be caused by worn piston rings.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hondamark35
i could be wrong, but it seems to me that there is some confusion here between two different parts.

valve stem [or valve guide] seals prevent excessive oil from moving from the top of the head, under the valve cover to the ports (where they would then drain into the chamber and be burned)

valve seats seal off the combustion chamber when the valves close.

a bad valve guide seal can consume/burn oil, producing blue smoke from the exhaust. these are $40 for a set of new ones. they aren't terribly difficult to install for someone who is comfortable with dissassembling a cylinder head.

a failed leak-down test would indicate a bad seal at the valve seats (anything from poor adjustment, surface pitting, carbon build up, to burnt/bent valves) ...if the rings are ruled out. these ususally require cylinder head rebuild or replacement, depending on mileage, age and extent of damage/cost.

keep in mind, a bad leak-down test and oil burning can both be caused by worn piston rings.
damn seems like too much work and it may not even solve my issue. i might just buy a used jdm motor with low mileage for $650 with a warranty and just let them install it total out to be around $1200 with motor and laobr.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mynameizstitch
damn seems like too much work and it may not even solve my issue. i might just buy a used jdm motor with low mileage for $650 with a warranty and just let them install it total out to be around $1200 with motor and laobr.
i agree. unless you have an emotional attachment.. or the time and tooling to do it yourself, low-mileage used is the way to go