Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

My prelude crank but won't start.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My prelude crank but won't start.....

Hello everyone, After I finished my swapped with an H22A1 two weeks ago it started up fine but now it's harder for the engine to start up properly. The engine crank but it doesn't start up right away. I have to crank the engine multiple times in order for it to work. The starter works fine. So does anyone have any ideas what the problem is........? Any suggestion is appreciated.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:56 AM

Default Re: My prelude crank but won't start.....

my eg with an h22a swap had that prblom and i hat to buy a whole new distributor the sensor was bad and unfortunately u cnt jus buy the sensor have to buy entire distributor better to get the dealer parts
Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Check timing.
2. You might be getting weak spark. Replace cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. Check distributor and coil for damage.
3. Dirty fuel or bad injectors. Replace fuel filter, refill tank with fresh Premium fuel.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Main relay...?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you guys think it might be the main relay..??????????? On hot sunny day the car crank but doesn't start right up as well.......I have read other similar post in here and people thinks it might be the main relay......but im not totally sure.....I am going to check my main relay out tomorrow to see if I need to resolder all the contacts on the main relay.......to see if that fix the problem if not than I guess I'll have to buy a new distributor.....
Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did u try the battery??see if its gettin fuel to the chambers by cranking it a few times and then pull a spark plug and sniff it. if it is, buy a cheap timing light and check the timing before u start buy all the parts to the dizzy.also do a compression test on the cylinders to be safe.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have try the batery and it seem like their are fuel going into the chamber. I check the spark plug and it smell fuel. The only thing I haven't check is the timing and do a compression test in all four cylinders. NOTE: After I was done with the swapped I was able to drive the car for two weeks before this problem happen to my car. Forgot to tell ya but Im using my H23A1 distributor W/external coil.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man im having the same issues have you got yours running yet what was the problem?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I got my car running fine now. After I went to the junkyard and pull a main relay from an integra(rz-0132) and plug and play. My car start-up fine now and even on super hot days.....No more headache.....
Old 09-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you took my Advice .....you're welcome.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea Thanks......Yuyodrift91.....
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there should be a sticky for this since a lot of people come here asking why their car won't start and just cranks over and over. Its the main relay. Is this in the faq?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The admins SHOULD place this as a sticky along with some links to diagnose if it really is your relay that's messed up.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i got 3 other main relays and thats not my issue check them to see if they were damage and no they are not so. yeah any advise?
Old 09-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From what cars are the relays from?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

92-96 prelude si 2 were auto and 1 was 5 speed but that does not matter. im at a dead spot now i dont know where to go from here i have tried everything starter fluid i got spark and gas i got p28 and p07 tried a ex accord vtec ecu nothing so i know its not the ecus i changed the grounds on the car new battery new starter put half take of gas in the car i changed the indash fuse box i have tried every possible thing timing is on tdc. the car just keeps turning and turning and wont fire up
Old 09-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoa! Say it don't spray it.....Please use periods man.

Here try this:
http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html

There's a troubleshooting chart on the page and it may help idk....

You didn't mention anything about your fuel pump being activated or not....so does it activate? Should be a 2 second hissing sound after you turn the key....
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha sorry i tend to not use periods lol. yeah the pump does prime. i check all 4cyl for spark and coil are good. i spray starter fluid yesterday and over and over he car wass bumping so that tell me that gas might not be hitting the spark. so i will check for gas again. last time i check i had my girl turn the car overf and i held the injectors and gas shot out. i check the timing again and everything is okay. i can post pics if need be. thanks again more tips
Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know there are people on HT that can solve this, but they gotta speak up...

Does the car throw any codes?? This could be a great help to me and anyone else who has seen this issue.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

only code it throws is 22 and thats vtec. i put new gas in the car and crank no fire. i remember i did the 22 swap in my accord and i forgot to to connect one wire to the manifold or fuel rail and it fired right up. but i dont see any loose wires from the harness. it might be a gas issue i think but the pump; primes i put more gas in the car when i spray the starter fluid in i smell it on the plugs but no gas smell. i will check the fuel again and i will repost tomorrow. yeah speak up ht thanks i appreciate your help to bro. i will post pics of everything hope it helps.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:04 AM
New User

it could be that your are not cranking hard enough. crank it harder. or try replacing the distributor.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ApolloCreed
it could be that your are not cranking hard enough. crank it harder. or try replacing the distributor.

crank harder i dont know what you mean. um but why whould i changes the dizzy and i get spark in all 4 cyl . i am about to drain the gas and put fresh gas in and also change out the fuel filter. i was told from napa and autozone that it may be the issue but the fuel meets the plugs i test the injectors again and i got sprayed in the eye. so they are pulsing. so i know gas is getting to the head.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try removing and inspecting your Igniter. Could be a bad ignitor or coil is burnt. Once the coil is removed, you can tell if the coil is burnt by a little burn mark on the front corner of the coil. You can't miss it. But for sure it's something to do around the ignition area....
Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Yuyodrift91
Try removing and inspecting your Igniter. Could be a bad ignitor or coil is burnt. Once the coil is removed, you can tell if the coil is burnt by a little burn mark on the front corner of the coil. You can't miss it. But for sure it's something to do around the ignition area....
i have external coil. and i got another one from junk yard. so i dont think they are both bad is that what you mean by ignitor? if so the coils are good i just got finish draining the gas and now im going to get a fuel filter tomorrow. the gas was sitting for almost 2 years in december. so you think this could be the issue it was over 8 gallons of gas in that car lol.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude....are you serious? No crap, gas goes bad...and just pray to god your fuel lines aren't like clogged 'cause then your engine is ****ed......

Quick Reply: My prelude crank but won't start.....