Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

04 Accord; AirBag Light

Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Accord; AirBag Light

Hello boys and girls. Got an 04 Accord Coupe, 2.4, standard trans. Airbag light started coming on interrmitantly, once in a while thing. Now it's coming on and staying on everytime I drive. It comes on with all the other lites during the start/self-test, then goes out and comes back on. Car has never been wrecked or even bumped real hard. Any thing I can test? I can't spell multeemeter, but I kan use one.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 04 Accord; AirBag Light

Srs isn't really something you wanna go proding into. Backprobing a connector to see voltage is dangerous because you can damnage the terminal which in turn can set off the airbag.

In my opinion I would take the car and have it scanned. To see what your srs code is.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

More than likely, it's the driver's seat belt buckle causing the light. There is a lifetime warranty on seat belts, so you shouldn't be charged for the fix. I fixed my buckle myself, but I don't know how long it will last (flimsy piece of metal causing a bad connection). Sometimes this will work, if it's the buckle. Buckle the seat belt before you turn the key on, if the light stays off, it's definitely the buckle.

Last edited by BLKFLSH; 07-28-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Both good pieces of advice and appreciated. Will try the seat belt thing. Wondering if it would be safe to disconnect the battery for 15 min or so, then disconnect the impact sensors and whatever else there is and clean them with a spray type contact cleaner, then re-grease with dielectric grease. Advisable? If so,,,where are the sensors and whatever?
Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would not mess with impact sensors. If you cause the airbags to deploy you're into big buck territory.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I've taken two seperate trips tonite using the connecting seatbelt prior to starting the engine trick. The airbag lite did not come on either time. When I got home I unlatched the seatbelt with the motor still running and the airbag lite came on as soon as I did. Not the seatbelt lite. Odd. Whats the issue here? I thought they were two completely different failsafe warning systems.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The buckle sends signals to both the seat belt and airbag light using two separate connections in the buckle (three wires going to the buckle, instead of just two). Why? I haven't figured that one out yet. Since I could get the airbag light to go out, by buckling the seat belt before turning the key, I figure the buckle has something to do with why it doesn't go out if I don't.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Trial User

I'm having a similar problem with my 2004 Accord V6. I also noticed that the passenger seatbelt light does not come on if the driver side belt is fastened but the passenger one isn't. Could this be related to the airbag light problem?

Don
Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Trial User

Default 04 Accord; AirBag Light Revisited

I'm still perplexed by the seat belt/airbag problem. It looks like the passenger seatbelt light never comes on even if someone is sitting in the seat (or I have a gallon of milk sitting there). But, if my wife is sitting there, and I run into the store for something while she waits, when I turn the car back on, the airbag light comes on. Has anyone solved this puzzle yet?

Thanks.
Don
Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
The buckle sends signals to both the seat belt and airbag light using two separate connections in the buckle (three wires going to the buckle, instead of just two). Why? I haven't figured that one out yet. Since I could get the airbag light to go out, by buckling the seat belt before turning the key, I figure the buckle has something to do with why it doesn't go out if I don't.
I believe you are absolutely correct.

On the 03 I just got, the manual specifically says the "buckle tension" is related to the airbag light. Not sure if it is in the buckle itself, or something in the coiling of the belt. But since you have already seen the 3rd wire in the buckle, I am guessing you have your finger on it.

And since I am having this same intermittent issue, I will be digging into my drivers buckle ASAP.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
Do you think its possible to just connect the wires, essentially telling the computer they are always connected? That intermittent and inconsistent seat belt/air bag light is bugging the crap out of me.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94vtecmn
Do you think its possible to just connect the wires, essentially telling the computer they are always connected? That intermittent and inconsistent seat belt/air bag light is bugging the crap out of me.
That might work, but I haven't tried it.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Trial User

I have the same issue in my 05 Accord LX. I just made the seat belt connection a few days ago. My worry is that this is going to prevent me from passing the state inspection. has anyone had this fixed? how much does it run?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:10 AM
Trial User

I'm experiencing a similar issue. My light tends to come on when the car has been started and driving around and normally comes on when I unbuckle my seat belt. I've been told to bring it in to a Honda dealership when the light is on so they can run a scan to confirm what the issue is.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The dealership will not charge you, IF the seatbelt buckle is the problem, because seatbelts are covered under the lifetime warranty. If the buckle is not the problem, they will charge you for the diagnostics, even if you don't have them fix whatever the problem is. If you can buckle the seatbelt, before turning the key on, and that prevents the light from staying on, I would take the chance that the buckle is the only problem. Good luck.