Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Cost to replace/fix 2000 accord lx sedan front bumper & right headlight?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Cost to replace/fix 2000 accord lx sedan front bumper & right headlight?

Hey guys.. so I got into a slight accident this weekend and my front bumper basically popped out of place and my right headlight was damaged. Upon inspecting the bumper it seems as if the holes where the screws originally went through to attached the bumper to the car are messed up although i did manage to somewhat place the bumper back into spot. It seems to be holding up okay for now. The right headlight is still working fine although the glass inside is broken. I'm planning on taking it to a repair shop to get it estimated/fixed tomorrow, but I don't really know anything about cars so I'm afraid I might get ripped off so I was wondering if you guys would know about how much it should cost me. I live in Stockton, CA, in case location factors into the costs as well. Also, if any of you guys know a good place to go to in Stockton, that would be greatly appreciated as well. Sorry about the long post. Here are some pictures, although I forgot to take pictures of the condition of screw holes..

Thanks guys.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cost to replace/fix 2000 accord lx sedan front bumper & right headlight?

you will need a fender too....your best bet for cheap would be certifit...seeing as the closest one is about 7 1/2 hours away from you i would say honda dealer or junk yard....bumper shouldnt be too bad at dealer(one would hope) but the headlight will def be
Old 07-05-2009, 10:38 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Default Re: Cost to replace/fix 2000 accord lx sedan front bumper & right headlight?

that looks like 1500 bucks worth of damage (may be less). Piece of advice go to the junkyard you will definitely find a match for your car, DO NOT GO TO THE DEALER!. IF you find yourself getting OEM go to majestic honda.com, that is if you will be buying your own parts and having the body shop install them
Old 07-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go junk yard or look for other cars people have recked on forums and look for parts there..
Old 07-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That hood is very likely to not get fixed, and you may get a quote on having it replaced. Right fender, right headlight and front bumper cover need to be replaced without a doubt.
I'm thinking this should cost you $700 to $1200 bucks depending on the shop rates and using aftermarket parts.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bseriescrxsi
you will need a fender too....your best bet for cheap would be certifit...seeing as the closest one is about 7 1/2 hours away from you i would say honda dealer or junk yard....bumper shouldnt be too bad at dealer(one would hope) but the headlight will def be
I'm thinking that I will probably wait for the fender as I am a bit tight on cash right now. Not to mention I am currently attending summer school and would not have another means of transportation if I have to leave the car at the repair shop for a couple days. Regarding the headlight, I have been searching online and found a website that sells the headlight for $47.95 + tax and shipping which comes out to about $65 or so. I noticed that it had a lifetime warranty and was wondering if it is a good deal. Here's a link to the page:
http://www.go-part.com/9800-honda-ac...tid=HO25021111

Originally Posted by kidcool1977
that looks like 1500 bucks worth of damage (may be less). Piece of advice go to the junkyard you will definitely find a match for your car, DO NOT GO TO THE DEALER!. IF you find yourself getting OEM go to majestic honda.com, that is if you will be buying your own parts and having the body shop install them
Is that $1500 including the fender repair cost? If it is, about how much would it be if the cost for fixing the fender was taken out? Also, because my bumper is not exactly intact anymore, do you know if it would be easy for me to replace my headlight by myself if I were to buy the one in the link posted above? For the bumper, I don't think I will be buying it separately online as it seems that there aren't color choices and it would probably be more convenient if I just take the stock part that the repair shop has.

~~~

As for the junkyard advice, I am quite new to that and don't really know how that works. Could you guys please elaborate it for me? Thanks so much for the replies! I really appreciate it
Old 07-06-2009, 04:51 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Step 1: Find Phonebook
Step 2: Call local mechanic shops
Step 3: Visit shops for quotes
Step 4: Have it repaired by one of the shops
Old 07-06-2009, 10:18 AM

Search the local Junk yard or eBay.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys. Thanks a lot for the replies! I really appreciate it. Regarding the hood and the fender, I am planning on worrying about that later since that kind of work will probably take a couple days and I'm currently attending summer school and wouldn't have another means of transportation. Your posts have raised a couple of questions for me though. I have heard that it's better to try to get the fender repaired rather than replaced as replacing the fender lowers the resale value. Is this true and is it something I should worry about? Or does it not matter that much? As for the hood, it looked to me that it would be better to just get it repaired by having it hammered/popped out. But from your guys' posts, it sounds like I should have to get it replaced. I am curious as to why that is.

So far, the price ranges you guys have given me are for to fix everything right, bumper, headlight, fender (probably not the hood judging from context that was written)? If so, how much it would cost me to just replace the bumper and the headlight? Thanks again for all the feedback~
Old 07-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, here's the thing, when it comes to resale value. If the person is buying your car knows about the industry of repars/repaint... right away they will know what has been changed and will ask you..."what happened?". The area of where the fender has been hit, would take a few hours to fix it, and still, the result may not be perfect, so that right fender needs to be replaced because of the cost, and believe me, replacing it will be cheaper than repair.
Your front bumper can actually be repaired, but then again, price of part over labor of repair, you find yourself again... throwing the bumper away and putting a new one on there.
Headlight needs to be replaced too. So far, just in labor of removing old parts and installing new ones, you have about 5 to 6 hours of labor (not including the hood).
Bumper and fender come in black, and then have to painted, there will be another 4 or 5 hours of refinishing, possibly... your left front door will have to be blended to assure color match.
If you have to buy a new hood, then you will have to blend the paint to the right front fender as well.

If you could go to a junkyard, see if you could find the parts yourself, at least the hood and the fender, luckly you could find them with the color of your car already.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:04 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by reisany
I'm thinking that I will probably wait for the fender as I am a bit tight on cash right now. Not to mention I am currently attending summer school and would not have another means of transportation if I have to leave the car at the repair shop for a couple days. Regarding the headlight, I have been searching online and found a website that sells the headlight for $47.95 + tax and shipping which comes out to about $65 or so. I noticed that it had a lifetime warranty and was wondering if it is a good deal. Here's a link to the page:
http://www.go-part.com/9800-honda-ac...tid=HO25021111

Is that $1500 including the fender repair cost? If it is, about how much would it be if the cost for fixing the fender was taken out? Also, because my bumper is not exactly intact anymore, do you know if it would be easy for me to replace my headlight by myself if I were to buy the one in the link posted above? For the bumper, I don't think I will be buying it separately online as it seems that there aren't color choices and it would probably be more convenient if I just take the stock part that the repair shop has.

~~~

As for the junkyard advice, I am quite new to that and don't really know how that works. Could you guys please elaborate it for me? Thanks so much for the replies! I really appreciate it
the $1500 is the for the whole PUZZLE, remember it is a rough estimate it may be MORE it may be LESS. As for the fender GIALINE answered that ? As for the headlight if you feel you are mechanically inclined you can do it buy yourself, keep in mind you will need tools
screwdivers,sockets, wrenches. The last question GIALINE answered that, there is no need to go over it. Wish you luck and keep us updated
Old 07-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry about that second and third post having some repeated some stuff. I posted the second post yesterday, but it seemed like it didn't go through so that's when I posted the third.

So far, I haven't taken the car in to be estimated, because after talking with one of my friends, she told me that one of her guy friends had offered to do the whole replacements for me provided I pay for the parts of course, and also gas money (he lives in Modesto). This is still a tentative deal as he is currently scrounging for parts, but I will let you guys know what happens if/when I finalize the deal.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 AM
He knows where you live!

How old are you?

Honestly, people in New Jersey are not going to be able to accurately tell you how much it is going to cost for a shop and parts in California. Nor is someone from Pennsylvania nor someone from any other state. Cost of the parts themselves from an online source, yes but actual cost to replace, paint, fix the cross member and all that you will need to get an actual quote.

Take the vehicle in to several places and have them give you a quote which should be free. This is not rocket science. Even say "If I buy all the parts and bring them to you how much will it be?" You still need to factor in paint and labor.

You keep mentioning wanting to straighten out the fender and hood. At some point the cost of a cheap replacement is going to be a better route than paying labor for someone to work X amount of hours trying to straighten it out. Go get quotes.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am 18 years old. I am sorry if I come off to be dumb/ignorant. I do not know very much about cars/repair shops and because I have less than $1000 in my bank spending account, I can't really afford to not be stingy/cautious about my repairs. I also have to pay for my own gas and now that I've gotten into an accident, my parents will be making me pay for my insurance too. I currently don't have a job yet, although I am looking. I just want to make sure I can make the most of my money by learning about things a bit more.

As I have mentioned before, because of the odd posting delay, I accidentally stated some things twice and I apologize for it. I do realize that people from other parts of California and other states may not be able to give me a definitive estimate but it does help me nonetheless.

Regarding going out and getting quotes, I have tried looking up repair shops on Google and have been able to find quite a lot. However, they are not all close together and would probably burn a lot of gas if I were to go to all of them to get estimates. This is not to mention that the majority of those places are also in the ghettos of Stockton, and since I am female, I am quite wary of taking my car out to these places to get estimates. I realize I can find an able-bodied male to go with me, however, I do not know anyone well enough to ask, especially since it is summer and most of my friends from the school year have gone home.

At this point, I am just going to wait and see how things work out with my friend's friend if he is able to fix it for me before summer school is out, which is in about two and a half weeks. If not, then I will resort to taking it to a shop to get it fixed/replaced.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 PM
He knows where you live!

I'm not trying to be a douche to clarify, just trying to help.

At a minimum you should call to get estimates. Ask family friends for recommendations for mechanics and body shops, etc.

Aftermarket fenders on ebay are $70 shipped
Aftermarket hoods are $180 shipped or less (60 + shipping)
Aftermarket bumpers are ~$70 shipped as well
Headlight is ~$50

Since you're in CA they're probably cheaper for the shipping than across the country for me. You could easily roll around with it unpainted for awhile.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:02 PM

eBay FTW!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My hometown is in Fresno, CA, so my family doesn't know of any places in Stockton. Even then, we normally take our cars down to the Orange County area when we're visiting family since the labor is a lot cheaper. As for my friends, I have tried asking my friends who reside in Stockton, but to no avail. Thank you for the price estimates of parts. I appreciate your help.

Hahah, eBay is indeed very useful. I will give it a look later when I have the chance.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your lights / turn signals work, right?

If so, there is nothing that needs to be done. Look, you are a student with less than $1,000 in the bank, don't be spending major bucks fixing this at this time. Maybe take it to a bodyshop to get the front quarter panel beaten into shape, shouldn't be that much, maybe $75 or so? (not painted, just removed, beaten with their hammers back into shape, then replaced)

The hood and bumper are structurally fine - just leave them as-is.

Then pick up a can of silver spray paint and paint the bumper. That red paint from the other car should come off with a little bit of hard scrubbing.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Considering that the car runs fine, lights work and fixing the damage may not be your priority at this moment. I'd suggest you NOT putting the new parts in if you are not painting them right away, when the fender (or hood if you are getting one) comes from the factory it comes in black, it's a coating that once exposed to the environment for a period of weeks/months will become rusty. I've seen this waaay too many times, just leave it as it is until you can get it done completelly.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, after hearing your advice. I suppose I should wait to fix it since everything is in working order. The only thing I'm a little worried about is if my bumper has a chance of popping off. Do I need to worry about this? Or should it be fine? As I have mentioned before, it's not held on by any of the four screws any more. It's just merely in place so I do not know if it will stay on until I replace it. Thanks~
Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by reisany
Yeah, after hearing your advice. I suppose I should wait to fix it since everything is in working order. The only thing I'm a little worried about is if my bumper has a chance of popping off. Do I need to worry about this? Or should it be fine? As I have mentioned before, it's not held on by any of the four screws any more. It's just merely in place so I do not know if it will stay on until I replace it. Thanks~
use some zip ties or a bungee cord as a temp. fix to hold the bumper

GL