Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

power steering leak problem ??

Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering leak problem ??

Whats going on members,

I have a power steering leak and it is boggeling my mind, the boot that goes at the end of the tie rod end and the steering gearbox on the passanger side seems to have some power steering fluid that drips from the bottom of the boot,

I have checked all the power steering hoses and the boot on the end the the tie rod end and there are no holes or rips on the boot and the steering gearbox has no wet fluid on it either, so I know my steering gearbox seems to be fine, I don't know where the leaks are coming from, there are no leaks under the hood either.

any help would be appreciated

Thank you
Old 06-04-2009, 07:25 AM

Default Re: power steering leak problem ??

This problem has been a problem of mine as well. Mine started leaking about 3 months ago. I had a whining noise when the car is on and noticed it was the power steering pump trying to suck in fluid.

I brought it to a shop and they told me it was leaking from the rack and pinion. I've been going to that shop for a while and i trust them. They told me I would have to change the whole rack and pinion. But they also told me to try using Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. I put in about 12 oz but it is still leaking but whenever my PS reservoir is low, it doesnt make a whining noise anymore. The bottle says a second bottle might be needed to completely stop the leak, so I will add another bottle if it still continues to leak. Right now, my fluid is still leaking after a bottle of the Lucas fluid.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it is deff a leak, from a seal in your rack. as turismo stated, you will have to replace the entire steering rack.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by endlesswinterco
it is deff a leak, from a seal in your rack. as turismo stated, you will have to replace the entire steering rack.
alrighty thanks for all the answers,

I spoke with an Acura Dealership in Minnesota, Bloomington Acura and told the service dept what my issue was and he told me its very uncommin for the rack and pinion to go out in the TSX, but he maybe just telling me a line of BS,

I think I am going to put the car on some jack stands and start the car and turn the wheel back and fourth and see if I can see where its leaking from, or just fill it and leave it as it is, from what I have been looking at for price on rack and pinion its a nice chunk of change for the part.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when you do that, try to remove the boot where the rack and the tie rod meet. im willing to bet thats where the fluid is coming from. it is uncommon for the rack to go back in our cars, but it can happen.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 94DCTeg
alrighty thanks for all the answers,

I spoke with an Acura Dealership in Minnesota, Bloomington Acura and told the service dept what my issue was and he told me its very uncommin for the rack and pinion to go out in the TSX, but he maybe just telling me a line of BS,

I think I am going to put the car on some jack stands and start the car and turn the wheel back and fourth and see if I can see where its leaking from, or just fill it and leave it as it is, from what I have been looking at for price on rack and pinion its a nice chunk of change for the part.
If you find out whats causing the problem, let me know. I got a quote from the shop for a little under $1000 for aftermarket rack and pinion and labor. It's not what I want to pay to fix it but if it keeps leaking, I might just do it. Seems like there is a lot of problems with 2004 TSXs, as mine is an 04 as well.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turismo128
If you find out whats causing the problem, let me know. I got a quote from the shop for a little under $1000 for aftermarket rack and pinion and labor. It's not what I want to pay to fix it but if it keeps leaking, I might just do it. Seems like there is a lot of problems with 2004 TSXs, as mine is an 04 as well.
I will do so, I am going to check it out tonight when I get off work, I have really not had many major issues with my 04 TSX ( Knock on wood ), I will post up tonight when I diagnose the issue !!!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when you do that, try to remove the boot where the rack and the tie rod meet. im willing to bet thats where the fluid is coming from. it is uncommon for the rack to go back in our cars, but it can happen.
I will give that a shot, Thanks for the tip, it's greatly appreciated
Old 06-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I checked it over and over, felt the boot and there is no fluid in the boot, and no holes or cracks, I didnt want to take the boot off to check, this is a picture of where the PS fluid is coming from, it was taken with my cell phone so where the fluid is, is the bottom of the boot, hope this helps

Name:  boot.jpg
Views: 24104
Size:  66.2 KB

Thanks

Last edited by 94DCTeg; 06-04-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the boot is just a dust cover. if you can, pull the boot off from the part where it meets the rack, the inside part. there is a seal right where the inner tie rod ends meets the rack, i will bet that is where the leak is. im 100% sure of it, so if you can pull back the boot, it wont hurt anything, there is prob a snap clip or something on it, holding it in place.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the boot is just a dust cover. if you can, pull the boot off from the part where it meets the rack, the inside part. there is a seal right where the inner tie rod ends meets the rack, i will bet that is where the leak is. im 100% sure of it, so if you can pull back the boot, it wont hurt anything, there is prob a snap clip or something on it, holding it in place.
PM sent !!!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting thread....

i have an 04 and my P.S. pump wines like a m*th%er fuc%er. at first i thought it was the tensioner and belt, but that wasn't the problem so that was a waste of $160 bucks. now i'm thinking to either rebuild it or look for a reman. it's a really annoying sound! by the looks of this thread i should take a look at my rack also and see if there are any leaks. thanks...

Last edited by BlUeDC2nEr; 06-05-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlUeDC2nEr
interesting thread....

i have an 04 and my P.S. pump wines like a m*th%er fuc%er. at first i thought it was the tensioner and belt, but that wasn't the problem so that was a waste of $160 bucks. now i'm thinking to either rebuild it or look for a reman. it's a really annoying sound! by the looks of this thread i should take a look at my rack also and see if there are any leaks. thanks...
I think I found the problem, looks like time for a new seal where the tie rod goes into the rack, that is why my boot has fluid dripping from it, from what Acura service people tell me it is just the seal, I guess I will replace it and see what happens from there, its only like a 60 dollar part from Delray Acura, unless someone on here has the hook up at an Acura dealership since ND does not have one LOL
Old 06-06-2009, 05:14 AM

I think I found the problem, looks like time for a new seal where the tie rod goes into the rack, that is why my boot has fluid dripping from it, from what Acura service people tell me it is just the seal, I guess I will replace it and see what happens from there, its only like a 60 dollar part from Delray Acura, unless someone on here has the hook up at an Acura dealership since ND does not have one LOL
When you replace the seal, please do a write-up of it. I would like to do it myself also and save some money. Hope it is the seal that the fluid is leaking from and dont have to replace the whole rack. Also, what part number is the seal?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i knew that was the leak. hopefully you can just get the seal and install it. ive never done that, but have replaced quite a few racks.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i knew that was the leak. hopefully you can just get the seal and install it. ive never done that, but have replaced quite a few racks.
here is the link http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

P/N - 06531-SEA-E02 - SEAL KIT A, POWER STEERING (ROTARY VALVE) 1 2004 TSX

Hope the info helps, and yes when I do decide to do it I will deff do a DYI

Thanks again members !!! I greatly appreciate it