Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help Stripped valve cover bolt screw hole

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need help Stripped valve cover bolt screw hole

I took out my valve cover off and painted it and when i put it back on I noticed one of the bolts i accidentally made it too tight. As i made it tight it seems that it came loose as i tighten it.

At the time i didn't have a torque wrench and idk the correct spec. This is my first time doing this and i accidentally stripped the hole. I took out the cover and saw metal on the threads from the bolt holes. I took out the metal from the threads and treads and i tried to put it back. Its on right now and only one bolt is not tight because of the threaded loose hole.

Please i need help???
I don't know what to do i don't have a tap and die set etc. Is there a way to fix the hole? I need to drive my ASAP and get it running can it run with one bolt not tight enough.??? Is it bad if i would drive it i know its bad but i need to drive ASAP??

how much would it cost to repair it???

Please idk what to do??
thanks HT in advance?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Need help Stripped valve cover bolt screw hole

1 bolt less will be okay, though will cause a little oil leak. Just keep an eye on it until you can either TIME-SERT or Heli-Coil the damaged threaded hole. It's going to be a bit of work. :-)
Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Davus
1 bolt less will be okay, though will cause a little oil leak. Just keep an eye on it until you can either TIME-SERT or Heli-Coil the damaged threaded hole. It's going to be a bit of work. :-)
thanks, idk what is a Heli-Coil and what steps to do it? is it hard for a beginner to do?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could see if you can find a product called a HELI-COIL.
With it, you drill out the hole to a specific size, tap the hole with the supplied tap, and install an insert that has the correct threads for the bolt you are using.
Should be able to find one at a parts store or something like that.
Just mention "HELI-COIL" and any partsman worth his weight will know what you are talking about.
First, find out what thread the bolt is, or take in the broken one when you buy the kit.
This is a great fix, you should not be able to see it when you are finished, and is just as strong (in this case, probably stronger) than the original threads.
The only thing is that you may find it difficult to find a metric HELI-COIL kit. I have never used one at our shop, but i am sure they are out there.
Good Luck!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostB4beauty
You could see if you can find a product called a HELI-COIL.
With it, you drill out the hole to a specific size, tap the hole with the supplied tap, and install an insert that has the correct threads for the bolt you are using.
Should be able to find one at a parts store or something like that.
Just mention "HELI-COIL" and any partsman worth his weight will know what you are talking about.
First, find out what thread the bolt is, or take in the broken one when you buy the kit.
This is a great fix, you should not be able to see it when you are finished, and is just as strong (in this case, probably stronger) than the original threads.
The only thing is that you may find it difficult to find a metric HELI-COIL kit. I have never used one at our shop, but i am sure they are out there.
Good Luck!!!

How much does a Heli Coil usually cost and do i need a special tool set tap and die types to buy or does it come with in a kit?
and im learning and so i dont have those types of tools?
Is there a special technique to drill the whole IDK
Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok ok... slow down....
It's not as hard as you think it is....
First of all, the heli coil will come with the Heli-coil insert, installation tool, and tap. It may also come with the drill bit, but don't quote me on that. A kit might cost about $30 to you, but i am in Canada and stuff costs different prices up here.
One thing you need to watch out for, is that when you are drilling, cover the exposed valvetrain. you don't want any filings going in there and wreckin your ****.
Step 1: Cover valvetrain with a rag, towel or something like that. make sure NOTHING is going to fall in there. There may will be a small exposed opening where you are drilling. What i do is get some Vaseline, and cover the entire area with grease. this includes your hole, drill bit, everything. Any metal filings will get trapped in it for easy cleanup when you are done.
Step 2: Drill hole to the specified size (it will tell you what size in the kit.) Go slowly and carefully, stopping periodically to remove filings from drill bit, and then re-greasing.
Step 3: Tap hole with included Tap. feel free to cover the tap with more Vaseline or grease. Again, slowly and carefully. Only tap a small amount of threads (about 1/4 turn at a time) and then reverse the tap until you feel it free up. Pull the tap out occasionally while threading and clean it off, applying more metal-catching grease along the way.
Step 4: Put Heli-coil insert onto the included installation tool (there should be a small diagram in the kit) Remove the the installation tool and Voila!!
There you go. Now clean up all the filings and grease before removing the towel thats covering your valvetrain. Put your Valve Cover back on, installing a new bolt in the new hole.....
Just go slowly, man. It's not hard, and its a great skill to have. There will always be broken bolts, and they will always need to be repaired!!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or you can just pay a mechanic to do it.
Drive on up here to Canada and i will do it for free.....
Old 06-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dremel it out and put in a new valve stud
Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostB4beauty
or you can just pay a mechanic to do it.
Drive on up here to Canada and i will do it for free.....

Ha ha thanks man, Im here in ****** far away, but yea thanks anyway
I'm a beginner and things like this when it happen. i get really nervous but its hard for me trying to learning by myself and the right way because no one i know here is a mechanic were i live but yea thanks
ill find and get someone to help me do it.
I learn from my mistakes and no im looking forward with this project. hopefully
thanks all yall and for HT
Old 06-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What motor is it?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

D15
Old 06-04-2009, 12:27 PM

I will say it once more. When you take your valve cover off make sure that you have a speed wrench / speed handle to use whilst putting it back together again. The torque requirements on these bolts is only 7lb/ft which is likely below the lowest number your torque wrench can measure.

So, get yourself a die and tap. Drill in to the old bolt and use the die/tap to remove the old bolt. That is really not too hard. Then buy yourself a speed wrench / speed handle and use it to install the new bolts.

If you don't know what a speed wrench is then go here and read:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944271000P

What is does is allow you to have very fine control and feeling of what a bolt is doing. If you use one you will likely never strip a bolt on the valve cover again. These tools are commonplace in any engine builders kit. Everyone who works on the engine of a car or motorcycle should have one of these things.

PIC:
Attached Images  

Last edited by shailoche; 06-04-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why don't you tell us what town you live in. May be someone close can help you.

Don't worry about posting your home town. we're not all coming over to your house.

This is one of your first lesson's. It's better to be to loose then to tight.

After you work on your car, test drive it. Then recheck what you did, alway's.

Lesson 2. Join Sears Tool Club buy craftsman tools, life time replacement.

Lesson 3. When it's time, buy the Sears black air compressor, it makes much less noise.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Na that's alright and thanks anyway
Old 06-04-2009, 10:43 PM

get a HELI-COIL, directions come with it......................... just make sure you match it up to your bolt/stud first, and they are pretty cheap, usually $15 at any auto parts store
Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tractor_Boy
get a HELI-COIL, directions come with it......................... just make sure you match it up to your bolt/stud first, and they are pretty cheap, usually $15 at any auto parts store
dood....just dremel the old one and and install a new stud, it cost like 3 bucks
Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE
dood....just dremel the old one and and install a new stud, it cost like 3 bucks
are you really suggesting to just bore the hole out with a dremel, and then just run a stud down in the hole???? thats rediculous............

listen, do it the right way not some cheap, lazy, half-azz way..... trust me, you'll tank me later
Old 06-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^im not sure what youre talking about..bore? how is my way half ***? youre putting in a brand new stud

doing it my way is the right way to do it. use a dremel and slice the nut off, now you can take the valve cover off, remove old stud and install a brand new stud. this is the way acura recommended it to be done and how my cousin removed a bad stud on my car.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TOO MUCH TORQUE
^im not sure what youre talking about..bore? how is my way half ***? youre putting in a brand new stud

doing it my way is the right way to do it.
Responses like this are part of the reason people make fun of HT on other websites. You state clearly that you don't fully understand the details of threading a new hole...but then you tell him to listen to you because your way is the right way.

OP: Listen to the guys that are telling you to buy the heli-coil. Obviously common sense will tell you that if you try to drop another bolt in a stripped out hole....it won't work. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself for the first time, find someone who has experience, ask them to do it and watch carefully.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heli-coil FTW..!! drill.. tap.. screw in coil.. done..
Old 06-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by theEFsarecoming!
Responses like this are part of the reason people make fun of HT on other websites. You state clearly that you don't fully understand the details of threading a new hole...but then you tell him to listen to you because your way is the right way.

OP: Listen to the guys that are telling you to buy the heli-coil. Obviously common sense will tell you that if you try to drop another bolt in a stripped out hole....it won't work. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself for the first time, find someone who has experience, ask them to do it and watch carefully.
from what i gather, his bolts just spins on the threads....you dont need to heli coil for that.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from what im reading the threads on the head have been pulled out n thats why the vc bolt just spins correct?

in this case, smartest idea is a heil-coil

or drill out the hole (bore larger) and retapp new threads. you will need a bigger diameter bolt. not recommended but if your stuck and stranded you gotta do what you gotta do

and if your worried bout the coil not holding, ive dont one for a head bolt and torqued it to 65ft and the headgasket never leaked.

gl
Old 06-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can go to autozone they have a free tool loaner service. get a tap and die set . retap with slightly oversize bolt
Old 06-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We just had a civic at my work need 3 of these bolt holes helicoiled. was kinda a pain in the ace.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if ur in oc cali drive to my house n ill fix it for u..why u worry bout ppl knowing where u live?..got sh*t to hide or wat?..lol

Quick Reply: Need help Stripped valve cover bolt screw hole