Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Brake lights stay on continuously?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights stay on continuously?!?!

As the title says, my brake light stays on all the time. I am assuming this is from a short in the wires. Possibly a naked wire touching a piece of metal somewhere in the car??? I was wondering if anyone else has had this same problem or could offer advice as to where to start? Its a 95 prelude.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake lights stay on continuously?!?!

Could be alternator.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alternator? explain please. When i say my brake lights, i mean my actual brake lamps are on. I am not talking about the brake light on the dash. thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would 1st check the brake switch that is activated by the peddle.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I had this same problem. If you look at the brake pedal you'll notice a button that faces the pedal and there will be a hole in the arm of the pedal that houses a plastic insert that presses the button to turn off the lights. Just go to a local honda dealership and pick one up for next to nothing and pop it in. In the meantime though you should disco your battery so that you don't kill it.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 AM
New User

button by brake pedal, there will be a hole in the metal where your pedal rests against when you're not applying pressure. if you see hole, the plastic piece fell out or broke, this is very common for hondas. this has happened to me on two separate vehicles. very easy fix, nut and bolt combo or some just simply wrap tape around the area enough to apply pressure to button when pedal is at rest
Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you all for the quick reply. i will be checking the brake peddle switch as soon as i get home from work.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by F20BUSDMACCORD
button by brake pedal, there will be a hole in the metal where your pedal rests against when you're not applying pressure. if you see hole, the plastic piece fell out or broke, this is very common for hondas. this has happened to me on two separate vehicles. very easy fix, nut and bolt combo or some just simply wrap tape around the area enough to apply pressure to button when pedal is at rest
Yeah that works or back when i had my Tracer this happened and i just super glued a penny over the hole. That way it doesnt wear out like tape or the rubber stoppers that are sometimes used. Just had the glue around though. Basically anything to hold the switch down when the pedal's not in use will work.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a nut and bolt combo to fill in the hole on the petal. That fixed my brake light problem. Again, thanks for the info. I now have another problem. My cruise control doesnt work. It worked before this brake light problem. I was wondering if the nut/bolt combo had anything to do with my cruise not working. The reason i ask is that the head of the bold seems to not let the brake petal release as far as the plastin piece that once filled the hole. Would the exact position of the brake petal have anything to do with my cruise not working? I have not changed or messed with anyting else and my cruise was working fine before. Any advice??????
Old 06-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The brake pedal is used to disengage the cruise control. If the brake pedal is down even a little bit more than it should be, the pedal will just keep canceling the cruise whenever you engage it. It might be best to actually replace the switch instead of jerry rigging it.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SixxT9
Yeah that works or back when i had my Tracer this happened and i just super glued a penny over the hole. That way it doesnt wear out like tape or the rubber stoppers that are sometimes used. Just had the glue around though. Basically anything to hold the switch down when the pedal's not in use will work.
I did something similar with my prelude, the plastic button was smashed and saw it on the floor then finally figured out what was causing my brake lights to stay on. I just ended up taping up a coin back there and it works just fine.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blaze.1
Would the exact position of the brake petal have anything to do with my cruise not working? I have not changed or messed with anyting else and my cruise was working fine before. Any advice??????
Originally Posted by catacon
The brake pedal is used to disengage the cruise control. If the brake pedal is down even a little bit more than it should be, the pedal will just keep canceling the cruise whenever you engage it. It might be best to actually replace the switch instead of jerry rigging it.
Hit the nail on the head there. My advice is to go with something thinner to keep your switch pressed in or get an OEM piece. Depending on the thickness of the head on that bolt you used, you might be able to get away with using the coin trick i suggested or even duct tape.

I'm assuming the nut side of that bolt is on the underside of the pedal though. If not, switch it around and see if that allows you to use your cruise control.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:12 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by F20BUSDMACCORD
This reply was on point. The same thing just happened to my 2000 honda prelude and I fixed it with a nut and bold combo in a matter of 3 minutes. Much appreciated. I'm no mechanic and this site has helped me on so many projects/issues. Thank you.