Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

please help. metal on metal noise in tire.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help. metal on metal noise in tire.

today when i got off the highway coming home from work, i started to hear a pulsing squeak come from, i think, my front drivers side wheel. its a 2004 honda accord.

as back story, very recently, ive been experiencing periods of corse vibration in my front wheels when on the highway. it only happens occasionally, but when it does, i hear a vibration and feel it in the steering column. it gets louder and more corse when breaking. it only lasts for a few moments of driving, then vanishes.

so anyway, today the tire started squeaking. not solid, but more like a pulse. and what scared the **** out of me is when i put it in reverse to back out of my parking spot during a mid-drive mini-mart stop, it made a terrible grinding noise. could this be my dust/heat shield hitting the tire/rotor?

can anyone tell me if its safe to drive in the morning? assuming someone might have a guess as to what's wrong.

thanks.
jimmy.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Default Re: please help. metal on metal noise in tire.

the problem might be your brakes, either the rotor or the pads. the rotor might be warped or the brake pads might be worn out or jacked up.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks cm7CGP.

i was just out fooling around with it. took it for a small cruise around the block. the forward motion noise is almost inexistent most of the time, but it sounds like a metal rake being dragged across a chalk board when i back up.

just to clarify, the forward motion noise happens in motion and stops when i break, almost as if im clamping down on whatever it is thats causing the froction. the reverse motion noise (the loud screeching) happens wether im breaking or not.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:21 PM

Sounds like Front and rear brakes as stated, Rotors in front will cause the vibration when pressing the brake pedal. Usually caused by warped rotors which can usually be resurfaced. The pulsing squeak will occur when the rotor is warped enough that it hits the wear indicator or pad in one spot then dissipating when pressing the pedal due to full contact of the entire rotor.
Rear brakes cause the scraping noise because they are supposed to have a slight constant drag, when the pads indicator is touching and giving more resistance in reverse direction you get that scraping noise. Get your rotors resurfaced and replace your front and rear pads, OR go to honda I think we charge around 600 for front and rear installed with all four rotors resurfaced where I am.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:34 PM
New User

I've got a vibration without a chalk-board scraping noise - just a mild noise. The vibration comes up most over 70 mph and gets stronger when braking. My mechanic mentioned that I should do pads and rotors within the next 3k miles - any chance the vibration will go away just with new rotors/pads? I was thinking if it's vibrating when i'm not using the brakes it should be coming from somewhere else ...?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the caliper pins which go into the holes on caliper bridge.
The lower ones are usually get rusted and make the brake seized.