Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Infinity Kappa or Alpine Type R 6.5 speakers ?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infinity Kappa or Alpine Type R 6.5 speakers ?

The car is a 92 integra coupe. I have a ROCKFORD FOSGATE p400-4 4 Channel AMP which is rated at 76watt RMS at 4 ohms(they list it at 50watt x 4 at 4 ohms). Now I have no subs and do not want subs. I want to replace all 4 of my inside speakers which are all 6.5" with something REALLY good.

I have narrowed it down to either the Alpine SPR-17C, or the Infinity Kappa 62.9i . These are both higher end speakers and I am sure I will be happy with either one. I wanted to go with the Type Rs from the start based on all the reviews I have read, but than some told me that I could not fit the type Rs in my front doors because the magnet is TOO BIG.

Now my second choice is the 6.5" kappas. Now if anyone has any experience if they will fit the front of a DA integra ? Also How do these both sound in comparison to each other amplified ?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Infinity Kappa or Alpine Type R 6.5 speakers ?

I have the 63.9i in the front of my EF I had to install 3/4in or was it a 5/8in spacer to clear the window but because of that the tweeter sits right on the factory speaker cover and you can see a little bulge.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 AM
They let me pick

Go to bestbuy and listen to both, and then decide. Mounting is not that big of a deal, you might need to fab some brackets but that really isn't hard. As long as you're not trying to stuff a 6X9 in a 5.25 hole you'll be alright...
Old 04-27-2009, 05:42 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Neither the Alpine or the Infinity is a direct fit, stock speaker is a standard 6.5" with a mounting hole diameter of 5" and mounting depth of 2".
Infinity Kappa62.9i are 5-1/8" MHD and 2-15/16" MD
Alpine SPR-17C are 5-5/16 MHD and 2-1/2" MD

Both use 4 point mounting, [4 screws] unlike the stock speakers 3 point mounting, [3 screws].

Both sets come with "mounting adapters" that will adapt the stock speaker housings standard 6.5" 3 point to the over-sized 6.5" 4 point.

Mounting depth may still be an issue, but easily fixed by cutting a hole for the speakers magnet into the back of the stock speaker housing.

For the best possible sound out of either the Alpine or the Infinity speakers you would need to replace the stock plastic speaker housings and the adapters needed with custom MDF housings. 94
Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me guess you work at best buy too..i have the kappa componets. Of the two i would go with the Type R's..they seem to be a better all around speaker. The kappa's can get really really harsh and tinny(is that a word..lol) sounding. The sound good at nomal volume but once you start to crank it, they start to make your ears bleed. I prefer the Infinity reference over the kappas. The type r's aren't perfect either but i think in this case they'll be a better choice because they should be able to provide more bass and mid-bass than the kappas would.

Make sure you get a good headunit..i use the pioneer deh-p6000, 7band EQ ftw..

And like everyone else said your going to have to use spacers to get either to fit properly
Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrmckie
let me guess you work at best buy too..i have the kappa componets. Of the two i would go with the Type R's..they seem to be a better all around speaker. The kappa's can get really really harsh and tinny(is that a word..lol) sounding. The sound good at nomal volume but once you start to crank it, they start to make your ears bleed. I prefer the Infinity reference over the kappas. The type r's aren't perfect either but i think in this case they'll be a better choice because they should be able to provide more bass and mid-bass than the kappas would.

Make sure you get a good headunit..i use the pioneer deh-p6000, 7band EQ ftw..

And like everyone else said your going to have to use spacers to get either to fit properly
HAHA yeah I do. Well I bought the kappas and they could have fit, but I did not want to modify the speaker cup so I returned it and bought the Type Rs and they were too deep and I dont want to modify the cup "call me lazy", so I just bought 2 sets of the Type S which were direct bolt in.

I know the type R and kappa are both better than the type S, but for the price I got 2 sets of type S for and the fact I can use one Black Tie for both pairs is for the win! Also the amp is going to put out 76w x 4 at 4ohms and the type S are rated at 80w x 4 is nearly perfect.

Too bad I have a wack blaupunkt deck putting out 2 Volts. I am going to look for a cheap deck that puts out 4 volts!