Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Sherwin Williams Automotive paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sherwin Williams Automotive paint

How is this stuff? is it lower end or higher end? anyone have this stuff sprayed on their car? let me know cuz im getting my car painted and the shop uses this stuff.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sherwin Williams Automotive paint

shitty
Old 04-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thanks for the input!!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 PM

they aren't bad. if the painter knows what he's doing, then it turns out nice. dupont and ppg paints are easier to deal with tho, but if a shop is using it, it'll be ok. i used work at abra auto body, and sherwin williams was their brand of paint. i snuck in two of my cars and used their paint and it turned out nice.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KuEy
they aren't bad. if the painter knows what he's doing, then it turns out nice. dupont and ppg paints are easier to deal with tho, but if a shop is using it, it'll be ok. i used work at abra auto body, and sherwin williams was their brand of paint. i snuck in two of my cars and used their paint and it turned out nice.
Acrylyd H.S. 3.5 VOC Acrylic Enamel is the type of paint that will be used. but i cant find any color charts online!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive used it and I liked it. It uses a reactive reducer(hardener in reducer) so thats a major difference from other paints. The only thing I didnt like was color matching was off sometimes. Otherwise it was pretty good. Although nothing beats diamont
Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HighRevn
Ive used it and I liked it. It uses a reactive reducer(hardener in reducer) so thats a major difference from other paints. The only thing I didnt like was color matching was off sometimes. Otherwise it was pretty good. Although nothing beats diamont
the whole reason for this post is i am getting this done for $200. some local "mom and pop" shop thats been around for like 30 years.

includes one coat primer, 2 coats of color. NO clear.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM

i'd recommend you put on at least one coat of clear. that's a steal at $200, just cough up another $200 and have them clear it. no point in having something being done halfway.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for right now im just going to get the paint. i dont have the money right now for the clear.

and i cant just wait til i get the money cuz my car is being prepped by myself and it looks like *** right now. does NOT look like my avatar anymore.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but as for ur recommendation, i will get clear probably in May sometime. thats a 3 paycheck month for me so i'll get some extra cash.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i use sherwin williams from time to time
i think its fine. have no problem with it
Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you should wait till may and have it done all at once.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HighRevn
This is very true.Paint such as Dupont, sherwin williams,PPG require a hardener in there base coats.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 AM
New User

If base coat sits on a car for more than 24 hours without clear you have to strip again and redo it all. So just a piece of advice get done all at once. And sherwin Williams is actually starting to come along way with their paint products, I personally prefer PPG products. But it all depends on the painter. Have you seen his work? Does it look good? And is he reputable? Thats all that really matters.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 AM
New User

Originally Posted by blue2000em1
This is very true.Paint such as Dupont, sherwin williams,PPG require a hardener in there base coats.
PPG does not require hardener in their base coat, its mixed 1:1, 1st part base, 2nd part reducer. Thats all, if you put hardener in base coat it would be hard as rock in your gun before you got from the mixing to the booth

edit: im sorry. i did not read it thoroughly, you are correct the reducer does have have chemical reactors that make it dry. lol when I first saw it I thought you were trying to tell him to mix straight hardener in it. I was like oh noo
Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by slammedk24
PPG does not require hardener in their base coat, its mixed 1:1, 1st part base, 2nd part reducer. Thats all, if you put hardener in base coat it would be hard as rock in your gun before you got from the mixing to the booth

edit: im sorry. i did not read it thoroughly, you are correct the reducer does have have chemical reactors that make it dry. lol when I first saw it I thought you were trying to tell him to mix straight hardener in it. I was like oh noo
Actually PPG,Dupont,Sherwin, ect... ALL recommend you add hardner to the base coat. It's only like 1 once per sprayable quart of base. And for a collision shop to do any warranty work for automotive manufacters they are required to put hardner in the base coat. Yes you can use it without hardner and it will be fine, but they all recommend you use it. PPG has a line of base coat called DBU that uses a reactive reducer and doesn't require hardner to be added. But with DBC you add the hardner. Sherwin Williams has RHF reducer that has hardner, and BCS wich does not.
But anyway, the original poster of this thread is having his car painted with acrylic enamel. Which is old technology and pretty much garbage. It is a single stage paint and it is very cheap.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:03 AM
New User

uhh I never knew that. here we go with the my dad thing again but my dad has never used hardener in his base, and when i was in high school we didnt and when i was in OTC to get my certifications they neer even told us anything about it. But that school was a joke I was just there to get my certifications. and then again ive always used DBU, their was one time when our good booth was out and we had use the prep booth I did put hardener in the base but it was like a drop and it was 60 degrees in the shop.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:59 AM
SiZ
Honda-Tech Member

Are you guys recommending he clear coats acrylic enamel?! No.

And we use Sherwin all the time at our shop, I haven't really noticed any quality issues with it whatsoever, but as been said their colour matching is kinda so-so from time to time.

If you're going to spend very little money on a single stage paint job, ask him how much more money he would want to paint it with urethane. Our primary paint we use on a cheaper paint job is urethane and its considerably nicer than acrylic enamel, that's just really old technology.

Urethane single stage, NO clear!
Old 04-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If base coat sits on a car for more than 24 hours without clear you have to strip again and redo it all. So just a piece of advice get done all at once. And sherwin Williams is actually starting to come along way with their paint products, I personally prefer PPG products. But it all depends on the painter. Have you seen his work? Does it look good? And is he reputable? Thats all that really matters.
Sherwin williams topcoat window is 7 days, not 24 hours, and you do not have to strip it, merely scuff and rebase.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The base isn't going to kick while its in your gun. Does your clear? No.

Catalization of the base is used to achieve not only flexibility but as well as prevent issues down the road such as delam
Old 04-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shermin paint is actually good.. Just used it to paint my front lip and sideskirts.. check it out.. Btw its really all about the prep work and how you spray it.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4g4dcruisin
but as for ur recommendation, i will get clear probably in May sometime. thats a 3 paycheck month for me so i'll get some extra cash.
Wow thats like saying Your wipe your azz next month and take a shiz today
REALIGN YOUR PLAN BUDDY
Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, you should deff get clear coat! thats what protects your paint from getting ruined.. All you need is Clear coat and Hardner and your good, should be around 50 or more i think? And its a 4/1 ratio...
Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats $200 to much. Get a good BC/CC paint job. You wont be happy down the road trust me. Ive been painting for 11 yrs and I dont use hardener in the base coat unless the system calls for it. It rarely does for that fact. I spray PPG Shopline/Omni base 80 percent of the time though so.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:50 PM

Every time i've heard about Shirwin Williams, It's followed by the nickname: Surewill Pilliams... Or however I should spell that.... But never used it myself, so I don't really know.