Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

...should i primer my car b-4 new paint?

Old 02-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 ...should i primer my car b-4 new paint?

Ok i'm gonna re-paint my integra championship white again cause the front and rear bumper have some chips.i asked the guy at the body shop if i primerd the car would the paint come out better.he said no...but i think yes...what do you think?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Default Re: ...should i primer my car b-4 new paint?

why dont you just paint the front and rear bumper lol why would you repaint the whole car?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i also have to paint the fender,and the paint is not brand new has minor scraches so it's just best to do the whole car almost the same price 2
Old 02-14-2009, 01:30 PM

it would depend on how much bodywork is on the car. if there are alot of bodywork spots done on the body then primering the whole car makes more sense to get a unified colour (no bleeding). however sanding a car after primering is alot of work. if your old paint was decent enough i recommend just using a paint sealer if you have alot of spots. other then that he can just paint it as is basically.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe the paint wont come out better if you dont primer it first... but i think maybe the guy at the body shop doesnt know squat....

i'd think it'd be best to primer b4 you paint because primer helps greatly with adhesion...
Old 02-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gorillafart
maybe the paint wont come out better if you dont primer it first... but i think maybe the guy at the body shop doesnt know squat....

i'd think it'd be best to primer b4 you paint because primer helps greatly with adhesion...
theres really no reason to prime a panel if there is zero bodywork on it, really, theres not, unless the panel is starting to lift old paint or has large scratches that need filling. minimal amount of material needed to make coverage on a panel is best. only primer the whole car if its totally needed. as long as you prep the car the way it should be the paint should look great. if theres tons of bodywork than of course prime the whole car, if all the panels are good except the bumpers than i would not prime the entire thing.Of course i would always reccomend a sealer on the car before laying any basecoat down.

and primer doesnt really have anything to do with better adhesion on a car with stock paint, if its a bare metal or has large patches of bodywork than yes, your right primer will be completely neccassary and will be a major factor in proper painting. on a stock panel with no bodywork, the correct prep work will be all you need. primer would pointless if the prep is how it should be.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

agree with impatient. no need to prime anything but body work.
just clean your original paint and sand it with 400 or 500 DA clean it again and paint it. you'll be good
Old 02-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont have to primer it if your painting it the same color. Unless you sand down to the metal then you need a metal etch can i believe its called, so wen you primer your sanded spots, the primer will stick instead of flaking off. but if there is no metal spots, then you can jus wet sand it and paint it. imo autobody shops are trying to make their money hah
Old 02-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IMPATIENT
theres really no reason to prime a panel if there is zero bodywork on it, really, theres not, unless the panel is starting to lift old paint or has large scratches that need filling. minimal amount of material needed to make coverage on a panel is best. only primer the whole car if its totally needed. as long as you prep the car the way it should be the paint should look great. if theres tons of bodywork than of course prime the whole car, if all the panels are good except the bumpers than i would not prime the entire thing.Of course i would always reccomend a sealer on the car before laying any basecoat down.

and primer doesnt really have anything to do with better adhesion on a car with stock paint, if its a bare metal or has large patches of bodywork than yes, your right primer will be completely neccassary and will be a major factor in proper painting. on a stock panel with no bodywork, the correct prep work will be all you need. primer would pointless if the prep is how it should be.
correct me if im wrong but arent sealers, a type of primer?
i use sikkens color build primer 4:1:1 ratio with hardener and a sealer activator. to make it a non sandable sealer. and after that i go into my base.

personally i would never scuff/prep a surface (even if it is stock with no body work) and not use primer be4 i go into topcoat... but i guess thats just meeeee.

Last edited by gorillafart; 02-19-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gorillafart
correct me if im wrong but arent sealers, a type of primer?
i use sikkens color build primer 4:1:1 ratio with hardener and a sealer activator. to make it a non sandable sealer. and after that i go into my base.

personally i would never scuff/prep a surface (even if it is stock with no body work) and not use primer be4 i go into topcoat... but i guess thats just meeeee.
well, sort of, but not. ha. Primers can be reduced thin enough to be used as a sealer. but sealers are designed to lay alot smoother than primers, so thats why i say sort of, because they do fill small scratches and are a 2k urthane like the primer, but there not meant for mass build up. Youll start to see mass amounts of solvent pop if you build sealer up too much, thats why 1 good coat is all thats reccomended. Your using your sikkens reduced primer as a sealer is fine, just not what our shop does. We use the dupont cromabase system and reducing cromabase 2k primer as a sealer, just isnt something we do. Its too HIGH BUILD that even when reduced it doesnt lay as smooth as sealer, and im sure you know sealer being laid down flat is the starting point of a good refinish. All of the cromabase stuff uses the same activator, no reducer.whether its for the primer,sealer,clear, etc, but everything is seperate, has its own part number and purpose and thats what we stick with. the cromapremier stuff uses a reducer and activator for everything but we only use that when people pay for it, cause its ridiculously expensive. Our shop is a well known high end shop in our area, and our work is awesome. Using primer for everything is not something that has to happen to recieve a quality finish. I personally think things come out better when they dont have to be primed, of course bodywork and such has too, but if a fender comes in that just has some scratches or what. Just block it, use the correct value shade to seal it, and start base/clear. comes out gorgeous. Primer to me always seems to have that underlying texture even after youve spent hours blocking it flat. On all over paint jobs with mass bodywork the entire cars are primed,blocked,prepped then sealed. small amounts of bodywork they just get spot primed and of course the entire car is sealed. if you feel the need to prime everything before you paint it than by all means do it, everyone has there preferences and when your working in a shop with cars lined out the door and you have to deliver show quality work within a specified time period, if it doesnt need primer to deliver the quality refinish, it doesnt get it.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as you have a good base to start on i say why spend the extra money and time needed to prime an entire car for no real reason. if old paint needs sealed or primed to be painted over then i guess i need to start sealing my blends from now on?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93monsterbubble
as long as you have a good base to start on i say why spend the extra money and time needed to prime an entire car for no real reason. if old paint needs sealed or primed to be painted over then i guess i need to start sealing my blends from now on?
ha, you and i both know the panel being blended into never gets sealed unless theres bodywork in your blend area or what not, if im spraying a fender and blending into the door, i never seal the door. it gets masked off until its time to blend. ill stick with the way we do it seeing as how are end result products are awesome.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

priming wont help. all it does is seal some small chips and scratches. whe nthey paint your car, they use a sealant before they apply color. body shops only apply primer when they have done bondo work so they make sure the body line is correct. i've worked at Abra and i know. save your money on something else.