Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help With Car Accelerating Without Pressing Accelerator!!

Old 02-08-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Need Help With Car Accelerating Without Pressing Accelerator!!

My 97 VTEC Del Sol began doing this about two to three weeks ago and has been deadlined since. On a return trip from a local Social Security Administration building, I made a right turn onto a state highway and accelerated pretty quickly to merge into traffic. My transmission is manual and when I attempted to drive at the speed limit, my car began to accelerate even though my foot was off the accelerator. It was almost as if it had hit a cruise control mode (disabled) with incremental increases in speed. However, when I disengaged the clutch, the RPMs began to shoot up. As I began to slow down by downshifting and braking, I noticed everytime I disengaged the clutch the RPMs would start shooting upward. I was able to make the drive home without an accident, but at red lights I had to turn the vehicle off and ignite the engine on green. At home, I started the car, both manually and by remote start and the RPMS practically shoots up to 3K before increasing.

Because my car has been modified, the Honda dealership will not look at it and my mechanical buddies are dumbfounded. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? As far as the engine goes, the engine is stock 97 VTEC B16A2. The only addition was a Cold-Air Intake. All of my modifications are practically aesthetic and for handling.

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks,

J. Hicks
Old 02-08-2009, 07:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Need Help With Car Accelerating Without Pressing Accelerator!!

im pretty sure your throttle is stickin open, next time this happens, try pullin back on the gas pedal with your foot, then if it stops going into "cruise control" mode as we will call it, take the throttle body off and clean it out.. thats my guess.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First off, I can't believe the Honda dealership is turning away business because you have a cold air intake.

I would pop the hood and check the throttle spring on the throttle body to see if it's sticking somehow, it may need to be cleaned. Check the throttle cable itself to see if it's too tight, it may need adjusted. Then if those are okay, check the gas pedal since it works in junction with the the throttle cable and throttle body.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

From my experiences check out the TB, clean it out and check the spring. Its happenend to me before and cleaning it has fixed it.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by longshot
im pretty sure your throttle is stickin open, next time this happens, try pullin back on the gas pedal with your foot, then if it stops going into "cruise control" mode as we will call it, take the throttle body off and clean it out.. thats my guess.
happened to me before but my car never revd passed 5k
Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

loosen the throttle cable up some. i adjusted mine for quicker throttle response, but yours may be to tight.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:43 AM
New User

1990 Honda Accord - I had a similar problem this morning. I hit cruise control, but the car just kept accelerating! I finally shut it off and pulled over, don't know where to start looking for problems. I can drive it, but have to hook my foot under the pedal and push up to slow down. Any advice?