Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

SRS Light Reset MES Connector summary

Old 04-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS Light Reset MES Connector summary

I found all the posts on this website very useful and decided to append a summary of the solution.

Location of yellow mes connector in my 2002 CRV is in fuse box above fuses. I used needle nose pliers to remove and small paperclip to reset. I had a child in the front seat (which I won't do again) and that may have caused light to stay on. Couldn't figure out how to attach picture.

Summary:

http://www.norcalrcrew.com/index.php?categoryid=13 -- photo and instructions

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=797528 -- photo and instructions at bottom of thread

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by revlimitx04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, i searched and search honda tech and no one had a clear documentation on how to Reset the SRS Light on 5th gens. (also might apply to 96+ accords and preludes)

To erase the DTC memory and reset the SRS indicator light, first locate the yellow plastic Memory Erase Signal (MES) connector:
-The SRS connector is plugged into the upper right corner of the driver's side under dash fuse panel or behind the driver's side left kick panel.

The two wire color combinations found housed in the MES yellow connector should be as follows:
-2.2L engines: Gray/Gray or Black/White
-2.3L engines: Green/Green or Black/White
-V6 engines: Green/Green or Black/(light green-black)

Once the MES connector has been properly located and identified, proceed as follows.
1. Verify and make sure the ignition is switched OFF.
2. Connect the 2 pins in the MES with a paper clip or metal object.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON.
4. The SRS Indicator Light should come on for 6 seconds and then go off. Remove the (paper clip) within 4 seconds of when the SRS Light goes off.
5. The SRS Indicator Light should come back on agian. Reconnect the (paper clip) within 4 seconds of the time when the SRS Indicator Light comes back on.
6. The SRS light should go off. Remove the (paper clip) from the MES connector within 4 seconds of the light going off.
7. If the process was succesfull, the SRS Indicator Light will blink two times.
8. Turn the ignition switch OFF and wait 10 seconds.
9. Turn the ignition switch ON and the SRS indicator lamp should come on for 6 seconds and then go off if all the codes have been successfully cleared.
10. If the SRS Indicator Light does not go off, repeat the erasing the DTCs procedure. If after several attempts to erase the DTCs the SRS Indicator light stars on, use blink codes to help locate the problem in the SRS System. Inspect and make sure that all the components and electrical connectors are properly installed and connected.
11. Once the DTCs have been successfully erased, reinstall the yellow MES connector to its holder in the fuse panel.

This documentation comes from: Chilton's Honda Accord/Prelude 1996-00 Repair Manual. (Covers all US and Canadian models of Honda Accord and Prelude.)

I hope this helps solve the tempromental SRS Light that alot of us have problems with. My SRS light was on for 6-7 months of owning the car, the previous owner wrecked it and had everything repaired by a qualified shop, but the shop didnt reset the memory for some reason. And supposively dealerships couldnt find the problem, because there wasnt a problem, just needed the MES reset. If this guide doesnt solve your problem then take it to the dealership and have them read the trouble codes coming from the SRS light, because its very important to have working airbags, if this light is on, your airbag system is disabled.
Airbags save lives. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SRS Light Reset MES Connector summary

Could you please post the correct link

Thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Might be this is useful as well

http://www.geocities.com/myintegra96/srs.html
Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Trial User

Can I please get a picture of the location on the srs connector Honda Accord.