Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Is there a way to tell if the odometer has been rolled-back?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Is there a way to tell if the odometer has been rolled-back?

I am considering buying a ~2004 Acura MDX as we have another kid on the way and will require more space soon. I have been looking on Auto Trader at some, and a few seem to have odd mileage. For example, I am seeing MDXs for sale with about 100 miles more than it did last April according to Carfax. It is possible that it has been for sale or just not really driven for that amount of time, but not entirely likely. One thing that bothers me with this particular dealership that has really good prices, is that they have 3 MDXs that I looked at with similar circumstances.
Now to my questions, how would I go about checking the OBD unit for the mileage it has recorded to compare with what the odometer says? Is it possible that the mileage could have been changed on the computer as well? If I acquire an OBD scantool, which one should I get to satisfy these needs? Would the information I get from the computer also reveal the VIN to ensure that it has not been switched with a computer from another MDX? I have a laptop as well, so if there is one that connects to it that reveals more information, I would be open to that as well. Thank you for any help.

Chris Chase
'04 TSX