Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

Changing headlight bulbs???

Old 02-12-2008, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing headlight bulbs???

I am trying to replace a stock headlight bulbs with blue color heligen bulbs. But seems to have little problem. The driver side has no clearance for my hand to get to the bulbs. I probably have to take out some parts like battery and such. Or is there better way to do it without taking out any parts???
And when I am able to access to the light bulbs, then what do I do to take out the bulbs?
Thanks in advance for your respond.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing headlight bulbs??? (yujintheman)

What car do you have????

I have an Si, so this will be the procedure for an Si. In the manual, it says something about removing phillips head screws that are holding the fender well, but the only phillips screw in the fender well, is the one holding the bumper on. I am assuming that is the procedure for the non-si models. So if you have a non-si, when I say clips, they may be phillips head screws instead, I'm not sure.

In the manual, Honda recommends peeling back the fender well to replace both low beam bulbs (the ones on the outside). You really only need to do this on the passenger side.

Passenger side:

Pop out the clips that are holding the front of the fender well in. There is one just in front of center of the well on the outside lip. There are one or two more on the front side of the fender well. Peel the plastic fender well out as far as you can, so that you can get your arm up in the front of the car. Grasp the bulb and turn it 1/4 turn counterclockwise. You should be able to pull it out of the headlight. Unclip the bulb from its clip and pull the old bulb out. Put the new bulb in the clip. It only goes in the clip one way. Direct the bulb back into the headlight housing, so that is turn a little to the left, the same way it was when you took it out. Gently push it flat and turn it clockwise. You will feel it stop. Look in there and make sure the bulb clip is straight up and down, not on an angle. If its on an angle, try again. Pull your arm out, push the plastic back to where it goes and replace any clip you took out. That is just for the low beam bulb, you should be able to replace the passenger high beam bulb just by popping the hood and replacing the bulb.

Driver side:

Pop the hood and loosen the two battery tie downs. You don't need to remove them. Just loosen them really good so that you can move the battery about an inch back. Reach down and pull the radiator catch can out. It is the white plastic thing in front of the battery, with a black hose leading its top. You may need to release the little black hose from its clips, so that you have enough slack to pull it out. Also, you might have to grab a flathead screwdriver and pry with it on the clip holding the catch can in. It doesn't just pull out the first time. Make sure you don't pull too far, or pull the cap or the hose off. Place it on the front of your car. Repeat the above process for removing and replacing the bulb or bulbs. Push the catch can back into its clip. Put the hose back in its clips and put the battery back where it was. Tighten the battery tie downs and you're good to go.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Changing headlight bulbs??? (2008fijibluesi)

Thanks alot for this great info!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Changing headlight bulbs??? (2008fijibluesi)

By the way I own a 07 Civic LX.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing headlight bulbs??? (yujintheman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yujintheman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">By the way I own a 07 Civic LX.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am pretty sure that the process is the same.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to remove my front bumper to replace my D2S bulb(s)...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (COMplex.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by COMplex. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had to remove my front bumper to replace my D2S bulb(s)... </TD></TR></TABLE>

D2S bulbs?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 PM

Default Re: (2008fijibluesi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2008fijibluesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">D2S bulbs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are real HID bulbs. I personally didn't have to remove anything other than the fluid resevours.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you might have to change the bulb thru the fender liner by turnin one wheel either left or right and pulling down the fender liner a bit so u can see the plug...on the new accords that the way we have to change them
Old 02-13-2008, 04:41 AM

Default Re: (ekb16)

when you say fender liner, do you mean by the plastic trim underneath metal sheet(fender) ?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:46 AM

Default Re: (i-spit-hotfire)

I agree with you and hoping you are right. It seems very odd that you have go through all that trouble just for changing a light bulb doesn't make any sense. I don't think Honda engineering is that stupid. Anyhow I got to give it a try this weekend, wish me luck!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:01 AM

Yeah i ahve done this multiple times.. i just used the well wells.. ttake em off but be careful with them clips.. they like to break and loose their strength
Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FlatlineSI28)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FlatlineSI28 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah i ahve done this multiple times.. i just used the well wells.. ttake em off but be careful with them clips.. they like to break and loose their strength</TD></TR></TABLE>

True true. I have already done this a couple times too. Yeah the best way to pop the clip is to get a flatblade screwdriver and pop the center section of the clip outward. Then you should be able to pull the whole clip out. Don't try to pull the whole clip out, without popping the center part, or you will more than likely break the clip.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:20 AM

the only thing you have to do is pull up on the radiator fluid reservoirs and you can then slip your hand in there and take them out like that.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (06siracer)

Yeah, for the driver side. But its not that easy for the passenger side.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i-spit-hotfire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I personally didn't have to remove anything other than the fluid resevours.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 06siracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only thing you have to do is pull up on the radiator fluid reservoirs and you can then slip your hand in there and take them out like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did the same thing on the passenger side....removed both resevoirs...maybe it's harder for some....
Old 02-13-2008, 09:04 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (i-spit-hotfire)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2111455

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2121798

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2055085

some of the members were gracious enough to answer, but just remember the process for changing the headlamp bulbs is detailed in your owners manual. just so you remember down the line when one of your bulbs blows out and you forget exactly how to do it, you can look there
Old 12-17-2008, 05:01 AM

Anyone ever changed the low beam bulb on a 2001 Acura TL, right side? Looks like a bugger?? Help please.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by ghardman
Anyone ever changed the low beam bulb on a 2001 Acura TL, right side? Looks like a bugger?? Help please.
Wrong forum buddy try acurazine.com
Old 12-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ghardman
The headlight designs are pretty similar between many Honda/Acura applications. Although I've personally never done the lights on a TL, you could probably follow the above instructions for basic help.

Originally Posted by civicguru
Wrong forum buddy try acurazine.com
Or...better yet..https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-tl-rl-zdx-17/
Old 12-18-2008, 12:59 PM

I just changed mine. I still haven't posted pics yet.bollocks.
go to our discussion on on civic headlights. we have very detailed instructions and comments there.
No offense to the people here, but what I did to remove and replace the bulbs was much easier.

Originally Posted by yujintheman
I am trying to replace a stock headlight bulbs with blue color heligen bulbs. But seems to have little problem. The driver side has no clearance for my hand to get to the bulbs. I probably have to take out some parts like battery and such. Or is there better way to do it without taking out any parts???
And when I am able to access to the light bulbs, then what do I do to take out the bulbs?
Thanks in advance for your respond.