Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Steering unstable at freeway speeds

Old 12-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering unstable at freeway speeds

I think something is wrong with my steering rack. When I go on freeway, the steering feeling feels very unstable. It feels looser than normal, it feels like the wheels are loose and it pulls itself to a certain direction real quick. It's not alignment kind of pull, it's more of a quick jab like hard wind blew my car. A while back I notice my tie rod boot was old and ripped, I never got a chance to fix it. I also notice sometime at park and car is off, I turn my steering wheel slightly and I hear a thump. What is going on? What should I do? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well when i had my mustang one of the front hubs was messed up and whenever i would go about 50-70 it would jerk to the left almost like i was fighting a strong wind. when i fixed it i threw new tierod ends both hubs and changed the brakes too and after that it drove fine. does it make a light thumping noise when your driving, like steady and slow when you go slow and faster when you speed up?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had same problem with my EG..i checked the rod joint (located behind the brake pedal) and 1 bolt was lose..i tighted it up and my car drive like a champ...check that out first before jump on the steering rack.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:48 AM

check the track rod ends, they will cause wandering at speed
Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by feeldabazzgsr
I had same problem with my EG..i checked the rod joint (located behind the brake pedal) and 1 bolt was lose..i tighted it up and my car drive like a champ...check that out first before jump on the steering rack.
will check this out first. wish me luck. thanks.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I check the rod joints. Looks fine. I pulled out my wheel and check my tie rod. I notice the driver side's rod's nut was loose. I was able to turn it back and fourth. I don't know if this is a normal thing or not. But I tighten up the nut and now I am still able to turn the tie rod back and fourth but not as much. I will test drive it on the freeway tonight or tomorrow and let you guys know back. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 AM

Try the bearing and hub.. I has the same problem.. N try not to drive the car in the rain cause its really gonna be pulling you on 1 side or both.. Lol goodluck man
Old 12-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had this same problem for months, I've replaced everything from shocks to wheel bearings to ball joints, all bushings, tie rods, rack, wheels , tires, alignments (several) all in spec, caster/camber/toe all Aok. and still it wanders at speeds over 70. Gets a light feeling on the steering wheel and it wanders wherever it feels like.
i can''t figure it out, not lowered or modified except for koni shocks/springs, but it did this before I repaired everything in sight.
The suspension/steering is all like new now,
Someone help with an idea we may have missed.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good news, here's my story.

After testing the car again I've concluded that the problem is still there. I was stump and frustrated. I raise it back up and check all front suspension, did not find any problems left and right. Everything seems to be torque and be where it's suppose to be. I was getting annoyed at the point when my girlfriend had an idea and ask me why don't I check the rear. I thought about it and didn't think too much of it. Later at night I thought I check out the rear anyways. Well, to make a long story short and hopefully help a few of you guys that still having this issue. I messed around with the "toe" of the rear suspension. I loosen the 2 17mm bolt holding the trailing arm; not all the way. I then loosen the 1 14mm bolt holding the compensating arm. I then pull the whole trailing arm all the way out. Out as in the 14mm bolt is moving away from the gas tank and towards the wheel/tires. I did this to both side. Torque both 17mm and the single 14mm to 47lb, took it back on the freeway and to my surprise it got dramatically WORSE. So now I was a bit stump but soon realize this has got to do something with my problem. I drove back home and again crawl back under my car and this time I pulled the 14mm bolt all the way towards the gas tank and away from the wheel/tires. Did to both side, torque and back on freeway. I am happy to say the problem is gone now!

Hope this help some of you guys that is stump like I was.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lv6l
Good news, here's my story.

After testing the car again I've concluded that the problem is still there. I was stump and frustrated. I raise it back up and check all front suspension, did not find any problems left and right. Everything seems to be torque and be where it's suppose to be. I was getting annoyed at the point when my girlfriend had an idea and ask me why don't I check the rear. I thought about it and didn't think too much of it. Later at night I thought I check out the rear anyways. Well, to make a long story short and hopefully help a few of you guys that still having this issue. I messed around with the "toe" of the rear suspension. I loosen the 2 17mm bolt holding the trailing arm; not all the way. I then loosen the 1 14mm bolt holding the compensating arm. I then pull the whole trailing arm all the way out. Out as in the 14mm bolt is moving away from the gas tank and towards the wheel/tires. I did this to both side. Torque both 17mm and the single 14mm to 47lb, took it back on the freeway and to my surprise it got dramatically WORSE. So now I was a bit stump but soon realize this has got to do something with my problem. I drove back home and again crawl back under my car and this time I pulled the 14mm bolt all the way towards the gas tank and away from the wheel/tires. Did to both side, torque and back on freeway. I am happy to say the problem is gone now!

Hope this help some of you guys that is stump like I was.
congrats, however you are now running a SIGNIFIGANT amount of toe-in on the rear. the car might drive better but you're going to see a slight decrease in fuel economy and you are going to destroy your rear tires VERY VERY soon -- as in: within a couple thousand miles or so. if you don't understand the fundamentals of auto alignment, you really shouldn't be messing with it.

take your car somewhere that can professionally align it before you kill your rear tires.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand that. I barely got it to function last night. This is my daily driving car. Yes, I failed to mention I will go get the car fully align asap.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Steering unstable at freeway speeds

Any updated thoughts on the cause/cure for this problem ?
My suspension parts are all replaced now and after 5 alignments it's still doing it.
I even bought an expensive caster camber kit for front and rear to tweak them to exact specs and it still wanders at speeds over 75.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did not get the funds to go get an alignment. So far it's running fine. No more wonders. The five alignments you got, are they all at the same place? Maybe you want to try a different place and see what happens. Did they use laser alignment?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Wheres my titleeeee!

Lift the front end of the car up and give it a shakedown. Ive had customers come into my shop with that same issue. Give it a side to side shakedown and and up and down shakedown. It could your inner tie rods, or even a ball joint. Check your tires for slipped belts and chekc your strut tower to see if any of the bolts are loose. Go through that whole front end with a fine tootch comb!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpinblackcivic
check the track rod ends, they will cause wandering at speed
Yup. The rod ties eventually wear out as the car gets older.