Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

ABS code 18 *searched*

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS code 18 *searched*

Well, I finally got around to checking the ABS code today, and it was the code 18 (high pressure system). Well, I searched around for "abs high pressure system" "abs high pressure" "abs code 18" etc., and I found out that the gold cylinder (accumulator) could be the problem if it is leaking around the sticker area. Well, when I looked at it, there is definitely a sign of leakage around the sticker. People said that I could replace the accumulator and pressure bleed the system, but when they did this, the modulator went out shortly thereafter.

So now I have some questions.

How do you pressure bleed the system?

Can I get away with just replacing the accumulator? Or would it be smart to just replace the modulator and accumulator?

Could I do this work myself or should I have a shop do it?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ABS code 18 *searched* (thtguybryan)

Bump, i got similar problem.

I got the same code 18.

I checked around my abs accumulator, but i didnt notice any sign of leakage.
But my Brake MASTER Cyclinder is leaking, and i will be replacing that soon.

I tried bleeding out the old abs fluid with new.

When the ABS light turns on i have NO ABS at all, when i brake hard i have to use my hand brake along with footbrake

Old 03-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Default Re: ABS code 18 *searched* (HypnotikEFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HypnotikEFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bump, i got similar problem.

I got the same code 18.

I checked around my abs accumulator, but i didnt notice any sign of leakage.
But my Brake MASTER Cyclinder is leaking, and i will be replacing that soon.

I tried bleeding out the old abs fluid with new.

When the ABS light turns on i have NO ABS at all, when i brake hard i have to use my hand brake along with footbrake

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the notorious sign of leakage. Sucks doesn't it? Haha.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude i almost got into an accident cuz some big truck in front of me slammed on the brake, i had to brake full and grab the e-brake all the way up
Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HypnotikEFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude i almost got into an accident cuz some big truck in front of me slammed on the brake, i had to brake full and grab the e-brake all the way up </TD></TR></TABLE>

That sucks man, I gotta find a fix for this. When I do, I'll be sure to post back so you can know how I did it.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i searched some threads on team-integra.net and i found some ppl changed out some seal in the accumulator, and that you can test if your accumulator is bad by bleeding it out, and measure how much fluid comes out.

Also i found a large trail of brake fluid ruining my paint from my BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER,
so im going to have that replaced in a few days and hopefully somehow it fixes my ABS problem too
Old 03-13-2008, 10:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HypnotikEFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, i searched some threads on team-integra.net and i found some ppl changed out some seal in the accumulator, and that you can test if your accumulator is bad by bleeding it out, and measure how much fluid comes out.

Also i found a large trail of brake fluid ruining my paint from my BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER,
so im going to have that replaced in a few days and hopefully somehow it fixes my ABS problem too </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice. My plan right now is to find the ABS modulator/accumulator, replace them, and see what happens. This would be the easiest thing to do, as long as you can find a nicely priced used modulator and accumulator. Good luck man and let me know how it works out!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep me posted
Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 PM

There are a few cheap ABS modulators/accumulators on Ebay right now. There's one for like $15.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ebay abs, i might do that after a few more things.

Well i put a new Brake Master cylinder in and i bench bled it. my old one was leaking/broke.
I also replaced all the brake pads, then i bled most of the old fluid out from all corners of my brakes, im pretty sure i got any/all the air out of the system.

drove it for 30 miles with no ABS light on, and the braking felt way better.

Then last night when i was driving i heard the abs pump go on while i was driving, sounded normal, a few minutes later the ABS light came on again.

I checked the abs fluid level, its full.

I dont know if i had to flush out the abs fluid too??, maybe there is some air in there that i couldnt get while bleeding the brakes??

I dont see any leaks at all coming from my abs accumulator....

Im going to double check the ABS code, and flush out the abs system in case there is any air trapped inside.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HypnotikEFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ebay abs, i might do that after a few more things.

Well i put a new Brake Master cylinder in and i bench bled it. my old one was leaking/broke.
I also replaced all the brake pads, then i bled most of the old fluid out from all corners of my brakes, im pretty sure i got any/all the air out of the system.

drove it for 30 miles with no ABS light on, and the braking felt way better.

Then last night when i was driving i heard the abs pump go on while i was driving, sounded normal, a few minutes later the ABS light came on again.

I checked the abs fluid level, its full.

I dont know if i had to flush out the abs fluid too??, maybe there is some air in there that i couldnt get while bleeding the brakes??

I dont see any leaks at all coming from my abs accumulator....

Im going to double check the ABS code, and flush out the abs system in case there is any air trapped inside.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I think you have to bleed the ABS system as well. Keep me posted man, you might have found the fix for yours.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bro is getting this code also. So you fix it by buying a new accumulator?
Old 01-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ABS code 18 *searched*

hello i have honda accord....95 vtech.......and i have the problem......that when i start the car get in drive and push the acelerator and give gas.....the car dont move......until......a few second after.......and start running normal.............i wanna know what is the problem........please some help..............
Old 03-18-2017, 06:47 AM
Trial User

Default Re: ABS code 18 *searched*

Uh I am super frustrated. I had a 1 8 Abs code for my 97. I bought a used abs system from ebay (modulator and accumulator) paid my mechanic neighbor to stick in the new one. Light still on. still has giving a 18 code. The second Day it was turned off so I thought it finally was working, but it came on the next day. I'm getting real tired of this crap. Any body have any ideas?