Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

how much should it cost to install an alarm/remote starter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much should it cost to install an alarm/remote starter?

i just bought a viper alarm/remote starter unit, and was planning on installing myself but don't ever get the time, how much should it cost for a good shop to install it (stealth), just seeing if its worth it trying to install it myself
Old 11-26-2008, 04:34 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very hard to say, it depends on a number of things.

We charge $200, [5 hrs] for a basic alarm/remote start combo unit, add $20 - $40 per option, [key-less entry, trunk release, extra sensors/sirens, bypass module] plus parts.

Double the price for semi-stealth, double again for full on stealth install, [dash pull/OEM dash harness integration].

We have done more then a few $750 - $1000 full on stealth installs and as much as $2000. 94
Old 11-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm

We charge $200, [5 hrs] for a basic alarm/remote start combo unit, add $20 - $40 per option, [key-less entry, trunk release, extra sensors/sirens, bypass module] plus parts.

Double the price for semi-stealth, double again for full on stealth install, [dash pull/OEM dash harness integration].

We have done more then a few $750 - $1000 full on stealth installs and as much as $2000. 94
i dunno about spending 800 on a stealth install + 400 for the unit on a civic, i was hoping for much much lower, guess i'll have to try it myself
Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by fcm

Christ, wasn't aware there were shops that even did a legitimate stealth install. Are you part of an independent business?

And I suppose "semi-stealth" means quarter-panel? Or under shifter etc.?
Old 11-27-2008, 04:49 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Yes we are an "independent business"... http://www.airwolfeautoair.com/

Semi-stealth means no full dash pull and no dash harness integration, but it does mean when you look up under the dash you will not see the alarm or it's wiring. 94
Old 11-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Yes we are an "independent business"... http://www.airwolfeautoair.com/

Semi-stealth means no full dash pull and no dash harness integration, but it does mean when you look up under the dash you will not see the alarm or it's wiring. 94
Actually many BIG BOX and Independents ( mom and pop) shops can do a stealth install if requested...but as FCM posted...You will pay for that privilege....
We as consumers all to blame for that. We want stuff done yesterday and expect a superior job to be done at it. There is comprehension in the fact that it takes time to do a decent job and price shopping for the lowest bidder does'nt help either.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Default Re: how much should it cost to install an alarm/remote starter?

word. i can't get any business or side jobs anymore cause people want it cheap, but with expensive proper install. they expect it for next to nothing....
Old 12-20-2009, 08:00 AM
fcm
Old Fart

We have an advantage, we are not a car "audio/video/security shop" although we will do them.
We are an auto A/C and auto electrical shop so we do not have to compete with the Future Shops and Best Buys or other car audio/video/security shops in town.

If you want a full on stealth install and your car dash is a 7hr pull, then the install of the alarm will start at 7x$80hr=$560, just for the dash pull, plus $200 for basic install, plus extras.
You can easily pay $1000 in labour for a full stealth alarm install with all the options, [door locks, trunk release, back-up batt, extra sensors, extra sirens and so on] and we would have the car for a week.

Now here is the advantage, if you think it is too much, we encourage you to go some place else.
I do not believe we the consumer are responsible for the way things are now, we will always look for the best deal, get the most for our money and of coarse we want the very best for a little as possible.
You get what you pay for.

Don't get me wrong, if all you want to pay is $200 to have the alarm or remote start installed, then we will do a $200 install, and it will still be better then ant other place in town. 94
Old 12-20-2009, 11:59 PM

agreed :-) sounds like my M/O