Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

95' honda accord ex w/vtec harsh shifts on automatic

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95' honda accord ex w/vtec harsh shifts on automatic

I noticed that when i go from park to reverse i get a thunk kinda noise and the car jerks a little. It does this when shifting from reverse to forward too but not as severe. It shifts very smoothly going from pak to drive though. I read up that putting a bottle of lubeguard in the transmission fluid would help. Is this true? Also is there something else i might need to be worried about? Something that may not involve too much money since i don't have a lot of it lol.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 95' honda accord ex w/vtec harsh shifts on automatic (Kabato48)

What is the engine RPM's when you shift and have you done or do you know how to do a motor mount inspection, it is best with two people and a strong flashlight.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95' honda accord ex w/vtec harsh shifts on automatic (Duane_in_Japan)

the rpms are at about 2000 when i first start it but they go down when i shift into reverse or any gear. and no i have never heard of a motor mount inspection. I did notice that when i have the hood open and i hit the gas while in park the engine tends to move a little. Is this a problem with the engine mounts?
Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 PM

I've never seen an auto accord that doesn't jerk when changing gear. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95' honda accord ex w/vtec harsh shifts on automatic (hurleyint)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hurleyint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've never seen an auto accord that doesn't jerk when changing gear. I wouldn't worry about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Jerk yes, but no matter what car it is, it shouldn't clunk into gear. The Accord trannies will jerk a little bit when you put them in gear but it shouldn't be clunking.

You have two engine mounts, one front and one rear. Then you have a transmission mount. My guess is if it's clunking into gear, then one of these mounts is really bad. I've realized that sometimes it's best to just replace all of them at once, but if you can't just try to find the one that is the worst. Have someone stand outside the car and look very closely at the mounts as you shift it into gears. If the mounts are dry rotted really bad you'll be able to tell pretty easily.

If you want to take the easy way out first, drain all of your transmission fluid and replace it. I'm not sure what the interval of miles this service is recommended to be done on Hondas, but it never hurts to do if you don't know when it was last done.

I've also used some stuff called TransMedic in a couple of my Hondas and my wife's Nissan and it seemed to smooth the transition between shifting gears a little bit. That's just my opinion though. I know a lot of people don't like to use additives but it won't hurt.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2000 RPM is kinda high for my taste, is this due to cold weather in your area this time of year, the colder the ambient air temp the higher the RPM for a cold start. If it is in fact due to the cold weather I would let the car warm up a little bit more if not for anything else, to let the oil circulate and warm up a bit, I know that this uses more gas but with gas prices coming down you should still be spending less each week.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95' honda accord ex w/vtec harsh shifts on automatic (Duane_in_Japan)

^^ actually drive ur car short distant with COLD engine will USE more gas then let the car warm up little bit then drive same short distant.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:33 PM

Default Re: 95' honda accord ex w/vtec harsh shifts on automatic (Civic_4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by defaced8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Jerk yes, but no matter what car it is, it shouldn't clunk into gear. The Accord trannies will jerk a little bit when you put them in gear but it shouldn't be clunking.

You have two engine mounts, one front and one rear. Then you have a transmission mount. My guess is if it's clunking into gear, then one of these mounts is really bad. I've realized that sometimes it's best to just replace all of them at once, but if you can't just try to find the one that is the worst. Have someone stand outside the car and look very closely at the mounts as you shift it into gears. If the mounts are dry rotted really bad you'll be able to tell pretty easily. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You obviously don't have a lot of experience with automatic 94-97 accords.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95' honda accord ex w/vtec harsh shifts on automatic (hurleyint)

Originally Posted by hurleyint

You obviously don't have a lot of experience with automatic 94-97 accords.
Actually I do. I've owned 4 of them.

I'm not denying that the Accord trannies are jerky, but they shouldn't be clunking into gear.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha mines the same way...my friend said its bc f22 trannys are **** hahaha...you can try what everyone else is saying but truthfully, f22 trannys are just bleh...i posted a previous forum talking about them and this guy P_Adams told me that the trannys can be swapped from odb1 engines i believe thats what he said
Old 12-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, thanks guys. this helped. I did drain the fluid and replace it and it shifts smoother now at cold start. And i failed to mention that it doesn't clunk after running for a decent amount of time so i'm guessing it's just the fact that it's a cold start.