Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch Losing Pressure?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Losing Pressure?

I can usually drive for a day or two with no problems. But when i get on it, my clutch goes to the floor. my slave doesnt look to be leaking, brand new clutch line. and pretty sure its not my clutch master. I dont see leaking fluids..

I ran the clutch line directly from cm to the slave without mounting it at all.. could that be the problem?

Im confused to why i only have problems when racing.. dailydriving, and shifting is fine.

help please?
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-04-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Clutch Losing Pressure? (egonthree)

clutch master or slave cylinder as easy as that. one is leaking or absorbing air.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bet your slave is going bad... mine acted like **** for the longest time, then one day it decided it wanted to start pissing fluid out.

SUPER easy fix and now my clutch pedal feels great other then the stupid squeaking.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Clutch Losing Pressure? (dividedas1)

bleed it man you got air in it
Old 11-04-2008, 10:06 AM

I replaced the slave about 2 weeks ago.. i still have warrenty on it, but I really dont think thats the problem. I bled it a good 8 times when i put it on.

it held pressure for about 2 days. then gradually lost pressure, so i re-bled it and held pressure for another 2 days. then last night i get on it. and clutch went to the floor.

i can re bleed it.. but for how long it will work, i dont know. ill just replace the master.. hope thats it
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 AM

Default Re: (egonthree)

don't replace the master unless you can see it leaking...

and hahaha you think 8 times is alot? it took me probably a good 30 minutes of bleeding to get my clutch nice and good again after doing my slave... after your last post i believe you just have an air bubble in your clutch lines. keeep on bleeding

ooh i guess i'll ask this, after the clutch went to the floor did you have to re-bleed it to get pressure back? or did you just pull it up and pump it a few times and it was good?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dividedas1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't replace the master unless you can see it leaking...

and hahaha you think 8 times is alot? it took me probably a good 30 minutes of bleeding to get my clutch nice and good again after doing my slave... after your last post i believe you just have an air bubble in your clutch lines. keeep on bleeding

ooh i guess i'll ask this, after the clutch went to the floor did you have to re-bleed it to get pressure back? or did you just pull it up and pump it a few times and it was good?</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1 keep bleeding till you see no bubbles and the fluid is clear.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90_EX_Civic)

i also believe its the slave..even if you dont see a leak its still probably not getting any pressure.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Default Re: (elusivEm1)

answer me this honestly did you have someone help you?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (duefuss)

yea mines is doin the same thing brand new slave and lines probably need to bleed it a thousand times i havent done that
Old 11-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Default Re: (teamrpm2)

yup i tried to do it by myself took a long time and still didnt work right finnally i got some help did it right with two ppl and bam hey it was fine geez i miss my old sohc ZC it was such a problem child
Old 11-04-2008, 12:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elusivEm1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i also believe its the slave..even if you dont see a leak its still probably not getting any pressure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

reading ownz you...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egonthree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I replaced the slave about 2 weeks ago</TD></TR></TABLE>

i doubt its the slave now that i read he replaced it... its not a complicated part, the only reason i could see one acting up is if it was GUNKED up with years of **** like mine was or if it was leaking. since it is brand new i doubt its either...

i am willing to bet anything there are still air pockets in the clutch line... get a buddy buy him a few like 12 of them and be like pump the **** out of my clutch pllllease.

keep doing this till your clutch fluid looks like you poured it out of the bottle. and then do it like 10 more times. some times a pocket of air will get stuck in there and just because its coming out clear doesn't mean its 100% air free.

like i asked earlier did the clutch come back up and regain pressure with out bleeding it after it "dropped to the floor" - that would be an air pocket messing with you because it wasn't bled 100% and it probably only happens when you are "racing" because you slamming that clutch pedal to the ground.

and i have seen people bleed clutches/brakes with one person before and its a pain in the *** unless you have a bleeder kit... friends work so much better

keep bleeding and let us know the outcome...
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">reading ownz you...</TD></TR></TABLE>Hah..i admit..sometimes i get lazy..
Old 11-04-2008, 12:44 PM

Hey guys LOOK theirs two of us that know WTF were talkin about sayin the same thing hhmmmm i wonder wat the prob is...... lmao for dividedas1
Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

reading ownz you...

i doubt its the slave now that i read he replaced it... its not a complicated part, the only reason i could see one acting up is if it was GUNKED up with years of **** like mine was or if it was leaking. since it is brand new i doubt its either...

i am willing to bet anything there are still air pockets in the clutch line... get a buddy buy him a few like 12 of them and be like pump the **** out of my clutch pllllease.

keep doing this till your clutch fluid looks like you poured it out of the bottle. and then do it like 10 more times. some times a pocket of air will get stuck in there and just because its coming out clear doesn't mean its 100% air free.

like i asked earlier did the clutch come back up and regain pressure with out bleeding it after it "dropped to the floor" - that would be an air pocket messing with you because it wasn't bled 100% and it probably only happens when you are "racing" because you slamming that clutch pedal to the ground.

and i have seen people bleed clutches/brakes with one person before and its a pain in the *** unless you have a bleeder kit... friends work so much better

keep bleeding and let us know the outcome... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, Im about to kill a couple bottles of fluid bleeding this. haha.
And no, i usually bleed it with an amigo.. im not down with running back and forth..

When i bleed it before, the fluid would shoot out clear.. and constant usually no bubbles, like a "water gun"

But im going to remount the clutch line.. give it a good thousand times of loosing and tighting . Should all go well
Old 11-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egonthree)

did it fix the problem yet to do it in mines and interested if that would be it?/
Old 11-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elusivEm1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i also believe its the slave..even if you dont see a leak its still probably not getting any pressure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If his slave is brand new there's a 110% probability you can rule out the slave cylinder. More than likely the seals in his master cylinder are going out. It's like $12 for the rebuild kit and a 30 minute job.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:47 AM

Default Re: (Koopa Troopa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Koopa Troopa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If his slave is brand new there's a 110% probability you can rule out the slave cylinder. More than likely the seals in his master cylinder are going out. It's like $12 for the rebuild kit and a 30 minute job. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea lets throw parts at our cars and hope it fixes the situation...

i live by this rule when it comes to hydraulic equipment... if it ain't leaking don't freaking replace it... i still bet it's some nasty air bubbles backed up in the lines. i got five on it
Old 11-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea lets throw parts at our cars and hope it fixes the situation...

i live by this rule when it comes to hydraulic equipment... if it ain't leaking don't freaking replace it... i still bet it's some nasty air bubbles backed up in the lines. i got five on it
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tell me, how does a sealed system get air in it?

Check the master cylinder behind the firewall, I guarantee you it's moist back there.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Koopa Troopa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tell me, how does a sealed system get air in it?

Check the master cylinder behind the firewall, I guarantee you it's moist back there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how does a system keep air from coming in when you take off the slave (that's how the air gets in)... your an idiot. when you take the slave off you are going to get air into the system. now koopa if you know some like super secret way of keeping the clutch system airtight sealed while you change a slave or master feel free to chime back in, i am sure everyone would love to know that trick

if you would of read i clearly said he probably did not get ALL of the air out of the system. reading ownz your *** too... look below. he obviously did not start having the problems till he replaced the slave... do honda-tech a favor and don't chime in if you haven't even read the whole thread... please

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egonthree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I replaced the slave about 2 weeks ago.....I bled it a good 8 times when i put it on.

it held pressure for about 2 days. then gradually lost pressure, so i re-bled it and held pressure for another 2 days. then last night i get on it. and clutch went to the floor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

also if your noob *** read more of the thread

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egonthree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pretty sure its not my clutch master. I don't see leaking fluids.</TD></TR></TABLE>

god reading owns people on this forum. its always a bunch of lazy *** people who read like 5% of the thread and then think they know what they are talking about. if the master is leaking it is pretty freaking obvious. it'd take a real dumb *** to not notice it...
Old 11-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how does a system keep air from coming in when you take off the slave (that's how the air gets in)... your an idiot. when you take the slave off you are going to get air into the system. now koopa if you know some like super secret way of keeping the clutch system airtight sealed while you change a slave or master feel free to chime back in, i am sure everyone would love to know that trick </TD></TR></TABLE>
He said he bled the system. I have faith he did it correctly. Actually if you keep a bottle of brake fluid tipped over in the resevoir and keep the clutch pedal engaged in theory since the lines are filled with fluid you would not have to bleed the system.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you would of read i clearly said he probably did not get ALL of the air out of the system. reading ownz your *** too... look below. he obviously did not start having the problems till he replaced the slave... do honda-tech a favor and don't chime in if you haven't even read the whole thread... please

god reading owns people on this forum. its always a bunch of lazy *** people who read like 5% of the thread and then think they know what they are talking about. if the master is leaking it is pretty freaking obvious. it'd take a real dumb *** to not notice it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Noob? I'm far from a noob. Sorry, I've been busy building other cars before I got my Honda. Masters don't have to leak to be bad. The seals can wear just enough so that fluid won't drip but it'll just be moist on the outter seal, letting air in. Since you're such a grand master of hydraulic systems I'd assume you'd know this.

I had a problem with my OS twin on my Silvia after it sat for 6 months.. Bitch just wouldn't go into gear if the car was stopped. The brake fluid sitting in the master ate the seals just enough so that the master wouldn't push enough fluid, however it wasn't leaking. Pedal pressure sucked, etc.

If the OP doesn't want to check his master cylinder then that's fine, I couldn't care less however making lame attempts to attack my mechanical knowledge because of my post count is pretty weak
Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replace master like u said haha
then
bleed her
like you said
Old 11-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BLLLLEEEEDDD HER!!! lols
Old 11-07-2008, 04:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Koopa Troopa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Noob? I'm far from a noob. Sorry, I've been busy building other cars before I got my Honda. Masters don't have to leak to be bad. The seals can wear just enough so that fluid won't drip but it'll just be moist on the outter seal, letting air in. Since you're such a grand master of hydraulic systems I'd assume you'd know this.

If the OP doesn't want to check his master cylinder then that's fine, I couldn't care less however making lame attempts to attack my mechanical knowledge because of my post count is pretty weak
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok... again

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egonthree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pretty sure its not my clutch master. I dont see leaking fluids..</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not leaking externally, and your are 100% right the master could be leaking internally... how ever if it was it would not be regaining pressure after it goes to the floor if that was the problem. the clutch would go flat to the floor and then not come back up if that was the case. which leads me to believe there is an air pocket in the system still. i am not "attacking" your mechanical knowledge because of your post count. i have just about had every single problem you could possibly have with a hydraulic system so i kinda know this ****.

plus man if he looked at the master at all he would be able to tell if it was leaking externally... when they go like that its pretty obvious.

Modified by dividedas1 at 6:08 AM 11/7/2008
Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 AM
New User

Default Re: Clutch Losing Pressure?

I have that same problem...I just bleed the darn thing...