Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Clear Coat Fading, Cheap fix until new paint job..??

Old 10-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear Coat Fading, Cheap fix until new paint job..??

Well the horrific southwest florida sun has destroyed the clear coat on my hood and upper portion of the fenders, so for the time being i'd like to somewhat try and restore it until I can get a paintjob "about 3-4 months".... So is there any cheap clear coats that can just be sprayed on, wetsanded, buffed for the time being without spending an assload of money...?? The faded parts look bad as it is, so i doubt i can mess it up more than it is already.. Thanks..

ps - i searched, found nothing conclusive to my case...
Old 10-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear Coat Fading, Cheap fix until new paint job..?? (JDM_SOHC)

??
Old 10-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most all of the major paint manufacturers also produce a cheap, economy line. Duponts economy like is Nason, PPG's economy line is omni. Its rather cheap for a quart of clear and some activator. like 40 bucks or so. Granted they do not contain u.v protective additives like the better quality lines thats the companys makes. but it will get the job done and last a while until you can get a quality paint job. When you get your car repainted, make sure you find out what clearcoat is being used. Being that your in florida where the sun and heat are exceptionally harsh, a clearcoat with u.v protectants in it is vital to your paint job lasting. Dupont cromaclear, Dupont cromapremier clear, basf, sikkens,ppg's top line brand contain u.v protectants and will last under the harshest conditions and wont yellow, crack, fade or peel. Most are backed by the manufacturer with a warranty against said defects.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear Coat Fading, Cheap fix until new paint job..?? (IMPATIENT)

So how would I know if my paint was PPG or whatever else by just looking at it..?? My car was obviously repainted the guy that estimated my car told me, he said the clear used was a real cheap kind thats why it faded all the way off on the top of my hood and underneath still looks brand new... i just dont have the cash right now to go drop on a paint job but for now just want to look a lil shinier "0% clear coat/shine on the hood and upper parts of the fenders...
Old 11-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So how would I know if my paint was PPG or whatever else by just looking at it..?? My car was obviously repainted the guy that estimated my car told me, he said the clear used was a real cheap kind thats why it faded all the way off on the top of my hood and underneath still looks brand new... i just dont have the cash right now to go drop on a paint job but for now just want to look a lil shinier "0% clear coat/shine on the hood and upper parts of the fenders... </TD></TR></TABLE>

well its obviously a cheap *** clearcoat if its completely faded and theres no shine left. If your looking for a quick, cheap fix, than by all means, use another cheap *** clearcoat thats eventually going to do the same thing. You asked for a cheap fix that will give you the shine back so i suggested the most popular paint brands CHEAP line, they are not u.v enhanced,but will last quite a while if you keep it clean and wax it regularly with a good wax that helps to protect from the sun. And as far as being able to tell if your paint and clearcoat is the good **** when you get your car repainted, your just going to have to take it to a reputable shop that is going to use good materials. Or watch them pour it into the paint gun and shoot it on your car. or buy it yourself and do it yourself. that of course is up to your wallet.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clear Coat Fading, Cheap fix until new paint job..?? (IMPATIENT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IMPATIENT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well its obviously a cheap *** clearcoat if its completely faded and theres no shine left. If your looking for a quick, cheap fix, than by all means, use another cheap *** clearcoat thats eventually going to do the same thing. You asked for a cheap fix that will give you the shine back so i suggested the most popular paint brands CHEAP line, they are not u.v enhanced,but will last quite a while if you keep it clean and wax it regularly with a good wax that helps to protect from the sun. And as far as being able to tell if your paint and clearcoat is the good **** when you get your car repainted, your just going to have to take it to a reputable shop that is going to use good materials. Or watch them pour it into the paint gun and shoot it on your car. or buy it yourself and do it yourself. that of course is up to your wallet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh yeah dude i by all means was askin for a cheap *** fix, not tryna change my original question at all, was just curious a lil... what about Dupont 1gal clear coat that they sell at pep boys for 19.99..?? would that be a good cheap clear..?? I searched the ones u listed but it seems it would cost a lil bit more cuz shipping and all that, so im gonna stay away from that as much as i can...