Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

valve cover bolt broke on 91 accord

Old 10-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 accord motor lopes(idles erratically)

first post was modified b/c first problem was solved and needed help with idling problem.

the car idles up and down after running for a few minutes and continues to do so for anywhere from 10-30 min. once the car gets good and warm(engine temp) it will stop by itself or if i cut the car off it stops until the motor completely cools and i start it again.

cars a 91 accord ex 5spd. list of things ive tried so far for idling problem.

replaced air filter
replaced egr valve
cleaned iac valve
cleaned iac motor

the haynes manual lists a few things that could still be wrong but i wanted to hear from someone with a little experience b/c haynes doesnt go into depth on a lot of issues. any help would be appreciated!

Modified by ndrew2505@yahoo.com at 9:42 PM 10/24/2008

Modified by ndrew2505@yahoo.com at 9:44 PM 10/24/2008
Old 10-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: valve cover bolt broke on 91 accord (ndrew2505@yahoo.com)

I know how ya feel.. My 94 accord valve cover bolt broke off and its a pain to get out..
Old 10-24-2008, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

vice grips
easy out
torch & burn

criptic yes, but thats about it.

If there is any way of grabbing it with a Vice Grip (once you get the cover back off), try that. If not i'd suggest truddling over to Sears and pick up an easy-out set from Craftsman (The one Bob Vila hawks in commercials) grind the remaining stub flat, centerpunch it , drill out the middle per the instructions and use the extraction tool to get that ^%$& out - find a new bolt

P
Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve cover bolt broke on 91 accord (P_Adams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P_Adams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vice grips
easy out
torch & burn

criptic yes, but thats about it.

If there is any way of grabbing it with a Vice Grip (once you get the cover back off), try that. If not i'd suggest truddling over to Sears and pick up an easy-out set from Craftsman (The one Bob Vila hawks in commercials) grind the remaining stub flat, centerpunch it , drill out the middle per the instructions and use the extraction tool to get that ^%$& out - find a new bolt

P</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a pain in the @$$, but Sears does have alot of tools for stuff like this. If you have a Sears Hardware Store in the area, its even better.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the replies guys. the only place i could find the bolts was at the local dealership (inflated prices...) you guys think the idling problem im having(engine idles up and down for 15-30min before running smooth) could be caused by the air getting into the valve causing a vacuum leak?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It may be as simple as cleaning out the ThrottleBody and the Idle Air Control Motor. It's a really common service which is needed more times than not.

P
Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve cover bolt broke on 91 accord (P_Adams)

Yep, take the IAC off and spray it with Carb cleaner and spray some in the TB.

Some Honda's have FICV on the bottom of the TB, it has cooling lines and a plastic plunger that needs to be screwed in. Not sure If Accords have that, new to this forum.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve cover bolt broke on 91 accord (1992Si)

i took the iac valve and motor off the pgm-fi assembly and cleaned with the carb cleaner. i didnt take the throttle body off but i sprayed some cleaner in it and used a rag to wipe out some of the gunk but the car still idles up and down. ive already replaced the egr valve and air filter so im pretty sure its not that. plugs and wires were replaced a little while back too. the haynes manual still lists vacuum leakage, fuel pump, leaking head gasket, timing belt and/or pulleys, incorrect timing and uneven or low compression. what do you guys think i should attempt next?