Notices

piston hit the spark plug???

Old 10-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston hit the spark plug???

what usually cause the pistons to hit the spark plugs??? is it a head problem or a block problem

motor was a d15b2 using autolite spark plugs.....3 out of 4 were smashed down
Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 PM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: piston hit the spark plug??? (96civic909)

detonation can cause the spark plugs to become damaged and look like they were smashed.

is the engine stock??
Old 10-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: piston hit the spark plug??? (sanimalp)

got a pic? im thinking if the pistons hit plugs they be flat
Old 10-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: piston hit the spark plug??? (sleepingciv)

yes all stock see just 2 weeks ago it passed smog all fine and all.....went to the store ran perfectly fine and everything but as soon as i got back in and started her up sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders, if it wasnt for me reving it/giving gas the car would just turn off.....drove as close to my house as i can take it .....smoke and all was coming out from the back then just shut off and would not start anymore......checked out the spark plugs and they were smashed,cover in oil,and some of the porcelain looked as it chipped off......no pics right now ....at work but will try to get some up asap

thanks for the response
Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 PM

I am willing to bet that you got the wrong spark plugs. Those are crap spark plugs and the idiot selling them may have given you the wrong ones. Try getting some NGK's that are correct for the vehicle. Hell, he could have given 3 wrong ones and a correct one.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: piston hit the spark plug??? (Ermil)

yea after researchin it is said NGK= honda love

but yea already bought some ngk took the old ones out and in with the new all it does is crank and no start
Old 10-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DId ya blow your headgasket? Does your oil look like choclate milk?
Try a compression test see what ya get for a reading.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope no coolant in the oil .......havent done that yet but today after work im going to pull the head to see whats going on.......had a tech already went out to see what the problem was all he said was either the head or the block are gone
Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The head is not going to drop down to hit the piston. The block is not going to move up to allow the piston to hit the plug. If you threw a rod the piston could move up and hit the plug but it would be very loud and probably punch out the block.

The wrong spark plug could be your culprit. However if you pt new plug in and it still does not fire you've got bigger problems.

Detonation is possible and will cause your spark plug to look damaged.

As stated before, do a compression test and check your readings. Check your timing. Then tear down if necessary.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: piston hit the spark plug??? (sgallagher)

and make sure ya take pics for us to see
Old 10-24-2008, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok ripped the head off......lots of lead composite build up.....pistons dont look damaged at all....the combustion chamber should be smooth but instead is really a rough touch to it just like the pic instead the valve are not damage just the combustion chamber
http://materials.open.ac.uk/me...3.jpg
Old 10-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you just say the valves werent damaged? How about the one that is broke off and has been stamped all through the cylinder making that mess. Or did i misunderstand that?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW

Are ya missing a valve head in the pic?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: piston hit the spark plug??? (gator88)

oh nah that is not my pic of my engine, ill pulled it from the web, just a pic to show you what mine looks like
Old 10-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you get a pick of YOUR cylinder head? So your saying the head doesnt have damage like that, but your piston does in fact have those indents where it was pounded into something harder than jenna jameson? A pic wil tell alot.

I am betting that you had a decent sized piece of plug, Which was way too long, break off in the and got to playing pinball for a little bit before you shut it down and took a look. A rough piston top wont keep it from running, but if whatever was in there to get stamped around most likely tore out your rings, the major loss in compression would give the symptons you were describing. Are all three cylinders like the one you describe?
Old 10-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: piston hit the spark plug??? (gator88)

i examined the pistons and they appear to look fine.....no damage to the what so ever.....only thing that looks messed up is the combustion changer as shown on the pic....there was lead material on the piston itself but appeared to look as if the combustion was chipping away....all for of the combustion chambers look like the one in the pic....also i dont know if it matters but two of the valve are sticking out about half an inch......very weird, its a gamble right now if i should just get a head and try it out or just get a new motor, especially at my expense crisis that im dealing with at the moment
Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96civic909 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96civic909 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i examined the pistons and they appear to look fine.....no damage to the what so ever.....only thing that looks messed up is the combustion changer as shown on the pic....there was lead material on the piston itself but appeared to look as if the combustion was chipping away....all for of the combustion chambers look like the one in the pic....also i dont know if it matters but two of the valve are sticking out about half an inch......very weird, its a gamble right now if i should just get a head and try it out or just get a new motor, especially at my expense crisis that im dealing with at the moment </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am lost...so the pic above is yours? Or the pic above isn't yours?

If it looks like that pic you have issues.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: piston hit the spark plug??? (CRX Toad)

the pic above is a sample pic but he says it looks like it. just not with the missing valve head.

I would say get another head and get the correct NGK plugs for the car.

I whish ya take a pic of YOUR head and pistons so we can see lol
Old 10-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleepingciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the pic above is a sample pic but he says it looks like it. just not with the missing valve head.

I would say get another head and get the correct NGK plugs for the car.

I whish ya take a pic of YOUR head and pistons so we can see lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

correcto

i know my bad for not taking my own pic .....computer at home is all messed up so my only resort is the internet here at work.......

so a head issue right??? put a new head,new plugs,correct the timing, bingo&gt;&gt;&gt;??
Old 10-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya new head,gasket,NGK plugs, should do water pump and belt why your there i would.

Just make sure your pistons have no cracks or anything major wrong with them cause if they do putting the head on wont fix it.
clean the pistons real good get a bright light and a magnafining glass and look for cracks
Old 10-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool cool for sure thanks alot man for your help .....little nervous tho on the top dead center area .....picking up the head tomm and a gasket .....by accident i spilled some oil and coolant inside the piston......im going to flush the coolant and drain the oil and get some rags and soak up all the liquid inside the piston
Old 10-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sent ya pm mang
Old 10-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: piston hit the spark plug??? (CRX Toad)

wow...
im sorry mija
Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok swapped the heads and threw in a new head gasket now went to crank it over and it sounds like a bubbley noise any clues?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:14 AM

my suggestion would be to get us some picks. every one is here is willing to help but with out some reference to go off all any one can do is make educated guesses. Pics would be a big help. We could all guess and recommend things to replace but unless you have $$$$ thats not the best way to go. And im guessing you, like most of us, dont have tons of $$$$ to throw around or your car would be at Honda getting fixed.

Get us some pics thats the best thing I can tell you at this point. Also what are your compression numbers. Where did you get the new head? Do you know the new head is good (ie no bent or sticky valves)? You mentioned that the car was smoking when all this happened. Im guessing but if your cyclinder walls are as rough as you discribe im guessing you have blow by and need to rehone the cyclinders and get some new rings. sounds like you have a rebuild on your hands. But again thats just guessing from you info.

Have I asked if you have any pics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: piston hit the spark plug???