Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spark plugs soaked with oil. Rings or Valves bad. Will thicker oil help or not?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs soaked with oil. Rings or Valves bad. Will thicker oil help or not?

My spark plugs are soaked with thin oil that smells a little like gas. Im thinking it might be my rings. the oil level didnt register on the dip stick when i checked it and it hasnt even been 3000 miles since i changed the oil. I did a compresson test and it came out 140, 145, 135, 140. if i clean and dry the spark plugs and reinstall them the car runs fine untill about 65mph and then it sputters real bad and eventually shuts off and will not run untill i clean the plugs again. Is there any way oil might be leaking into the clynder through one of my valves? since it smells like gas a little could there be gas coming in through a bad o ring from an injector? im not exactly sure how the injecters work though. if i do have bad rings, will thicker oil help reduce the chance of oil seaping through the cylinders? The car set for a couple years before i bought it. Then it drove ok for about 4 months and has steadly got worse.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it sounds like your spark plug tube seals are bad. There should be little rubber rings around the spark plug holes under the valve cover.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16_sol_707)

yea sounds like the lil rings under ur valve cover happned to me and i didnt know wat it was. have u taken ur valve cover off to install any mad tyte jdm ones? if so then u have to replace the lil grommets under it. go to an auto zone or advanced i got a whole kit with grommets and valve cover gasket and other things for 25 bux. good luck

and if u dont know which grommets it is they r directly under the valve cover sealing the spark plug holes from oil.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00b20vtecoupe)

yep it's those seals in there
Old 10-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spark plugs soaked with oil. Rings or Valves bad. Will thicker oil help or not? (howfastcanigo)

are you talking about on the spark plug or on the bottom of the spark plug where it ignites all the fuel? I doubt their on the bottom of the spark plug. if it was then your car would be smoking BADLY!

yes, a plug ignites fuel all day it is gonna smell like fuel. but it sounds like your spark plug seal are cracked and are leaking. go to autozone and get a valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. they should all come in a set for $30 and only tool you need is a 10mm and theirs 4 bolts holding the valve cover on. take them off pry the valve cover off, replace the gasket around the valve cover and look either on the spark plug stems or the bottom of the valve cover their will be 4 black seal take them off and replace them. BAM that easy good luck bro!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Spark plugs soaked with oil. Rings or Valves bad. Will thicker oil help or not? (TravisCadello)

I did replace those seal like two months ago. the oil is actually on the bottom of the spark plug. is it possible the oil is coming from the top and running done through the threads some how. but whats crazy is that my car doesnt smoke at all. all i know is that after putting the car under some pressure is when it stops running and then i take the plugs out and clean the oil of the bottum of the plug and then it runs like a champ. im trying to figure this out before i take it apart.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spark plugs soaked with oil. Rings or Valves bad. Will thicker oil help or not? (howfastcanigo)

my guess would be valve seals.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by howfastcanigo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did replace those seal like two months ago. the oil is actually on the bottom of the spark plug.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your Civic has two sets of spark plug etc. seals you have to watch over the life of the car. Unfortunately the seals you likely need to replace are going to take more effort. For a drawing and instructions, see http://honda.lioness.googlepag...tubes,
Old 10-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Happened to me on my h, look under the valve cover and make sure the little rubber rings are on the bottom of the valve cover